PDA

View Full Version : pre 2000 campy

H.Frank Beshear
01-24-2004, 01:36 PM
This has probably been asked before but has anyone tried to use pre 2000 shifters with post 2000 derailures? I have a 1999 chorus racing triple group and want to convert over to a compact double. Will a new centaur rear work or do I need to replace the gear in the shifter? Thanks Frank

bfd
01-24-2004, 02:36 PM
Why not just try? In fact, if you want tosave some $$$, why not just use your existing drivetrain - I'm assuming your 99 chorus racing triple group has ergolevers and ders - with the new crank, it should all work. I would only change out the shift disc (along with g-springs and thumb lever spring) only if it needs it. If you want a short/med cage rear der, I'm assuming your current rear der is a long cage, centaur one should work....

dbrk
01-24-2004, 03:41 PM
While Campagnolo says that pre-2000 9spd and post-2000 9spd are incompatible, this is in fact not true. I have later shifters and earlier ders and vice-versa all working as well as if the system were "year dedicated." It takes trying out to test whether bike company propaganda is marketing, CYA for the perceived liability, or actually the case.

I've not tried the Campy/Shim 10 swap, but given how close the tolerances are, I'd bet that we could easily match brifter/der to either cassette and it would shift fine. This one, however, is not yet in my realm of experience.

plenty of time in winter to do these swap-o-las, inhale denatured alcohol while blending shellac, and outfit my dream Citroen 2CV,

dbrk
who hardly ever believes it unless he sees it...

H.Frank Beshear
01-24-2004, 06:07 PM
I will give it a try this spring. I was at the bike shop on friday and we were talking about the 10 speeds working. The shop owner put a D-A 10 bike and put a campy wheel on and it shifted without a problem. He put the d-a wheel on a bike with 10 speed centaur and it was a little hesitant, most of it could be worked out but it wasn't as smooth as the shimano shifted the campy cassette. Frank

SPOKE
01-24-2004, 10:43 PM
ran a campy 10 cassette with the new 04 Dura Ace 10 brifters and chain. it worked very well. when i finally put the dura Ace cassette on all i had to du was adjust the derailleur limit screws a bit and turn the cable tension adjustment screw about 1-1.5 turns and it all worked fine.