PDA

View Full Version : Cavendish vs Greipel -- ouch...

nbrewste
04-06-2010, 11:50 AM
I found these quotations by Mark Cavendish (posted here (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendish-responds-to-greipels-criticism) ) quite amusing. Aren't these guys on the same team?

"He told The Guardian newspaper that riding in the same team as Greipel "is not a problem for me, because I'm a better rider" but rebuked the idea that Greipel could ride with him at the Tour de France, saying "There's no chance whatsoever that he's coming to a bike race with me."

Cavendish added: "I was pretty pissed with Greipel's comments after San Remo. If he thought he could win, he'd say it before the race rather than when he's looking at the results sheet. It wasn't through lack of form that I didn't win San Remo - it was bad luck. Last year I won it picking my nose. This year it was possible I'd win again. There's no chance of Greipel winning a 'Monument'. Me on bad form is still better than him.”

and...

"If I wanted to just win races I wouldn't ride every ProTour race," Cavendish told The Guardian. "I understand that at the moment I'm racing to be in my best form for the Tour de France and the world championships. If I wanted to get **** small wins, I'd race **** small races."

goonster
04-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Last year I won it picking my nose.

From cyclingnews' recap last year:

"When Haussler went it took us all by surprise. I waited for a moment and then I had to close the gap along the barrier. It was touch and go, I did not know if I was going to get him," Cavendish said.

[On the Poggio] Cavendish was hanging on at the end of the group for dear life. But after the descent he worked his way up to find George Hincapie's rear wheel, and they went that way into the final kilometre.

Doesn't exactly sound like nosepicking to me. It would behoove Cav to remember that it is a team sport, and that great sprinters (Zabel, Petacchi) can also treat their teammates with respect. Greipel deserved to race. If Cavendish is not just very good, but as good as he thinks he is, why should he have a problem with that?

johnnymossville
04-06-2010, 01:04 PM
chalk it up to sprinter braggadocio.

BumbleBeeDave
04-06-2010, 01:08 PM
. . . said things in our early twenties that we now wish we could take back? God knows I did (and still do occasionally, depending on who you ask!).

BBD

JMerring
04-06-2010, 01:34 PM
There's no denying Cav's ability but he takes prickness to a whole new level imo. I'm sure Boonen is brimming with confidence and bravado himself, but he seems like a much nicer guy, at least when being interviewed. Hushovd also seems like a nice guy. I was hoping Cavendish would win the green jersey last year; this year, not so much.

spacemen3
04-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Cavendish certainly doesn't filter his feelings, and I'm glad Friere won Milan-San Remo this year. :)

jhcakilmer
04-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Cav is picking up were McEwen left off, these guys are IMO just annoying. Seems like a decent guy, but just can't keep his mouth shut, or actually think, than speak.

+1 for Friere's win in San Remo. Even Cav said (in recent Cycle Sport http://www.cyclesportmag.com/) if he had to loose to anyone he would want it to be Friere....."he's the nicest guy"

William
04-06-2010, 04:41 PM
You can get away with it when you can back it up. But it doesn't win friends in the peloton, and sometimes you need friends in the peloton. As always, there comes a day when the kick just isn't what it used to be..... :bike:

William

mike p
04-06-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm not defending Cavendish but keep in mind that Greipel made negative comments about Cav first. Great sprinters have HUGE egos!! Obviously Cav's not into turning the other cheek and all that. He's young and more into not backing down from anyone, part of his makeup and what makes him a great sprinter. Also everytime Cav wins first thing he does is hug and thank teamates.

Mike

BumbleBeeDave
04-06-2010, 08:57 PM
"It ain't braggin' if you can back it up." . . . Dizzy Dean

BBD

goonster
04-07-2010, 09:09 AM
keep in mind that Greipel made negative comments about Cav first.
He did no such thing. He was unhappy that his form and wins did not earn him a start at MSR, not even necessarily as designated sprinter. While he did say that Cav "has had his problems this spring" (which noone can deny), his gripes were more with the team than with Cav.

The question isn't whether Cav can "back it up" when he's on form, it's whether he's good enough right now to be the team's sole sprinter at MSR, or to humiliate, in print, teammates who are winning races.

Tom Byrnes
04-07-2010, 12:09 PM
He did no such thing. He was unhappy that his form and wins did not earn him a start at MSR, not even necessarily as designated sprinter. While he did say that Cav "has had his problems this spring" (which noone can deny), his gripes were more with the team than with Cav.

The question isn't whether Cav can "back it up" when he's on form, it's whether he's good enough right now to be the team's sole sprinter at MSR, or to humiliate, in print, teammates who are winning races.

Exactly!!

Cavendish is a boor. I hope he has a lousy year.

Tom

keevon
04-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Cav makes bike racing fun to read about again.