PDA

View Full Version : Frames for Cycling Posters

Bytesiz
04-06-2010, 10:37 AM
I've picked up a few cycling posters over the past few months to decorate the walls of my office. My questions for the forum are about framing them.

In your opinion, should they be matted?

If I have 2 posters of different sizes in the same room, should the frame size be the same and mat the smaller poster to fit the frame?

Anyone recommend a place to buy poster frames on eBay? I got a nice eBay Bucks certificate to spend.

dimsy
04-06-2010, 11:33 AM
i've been using these bamboo strips that attach to the top and bottom of posters. makes hanging easy and the weight on the bottom keeps them from flopping around in a mild air current.

something like this.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21e-qW-xnmL._SS500_.jpg

Kevan
04-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Some towns have those frame shops that sell framed poster prints on the cheap (if that's what you're looking for). These shops seem to be typically on perpetual close-out. You could simply visit one of those type shops and talk to them about framing yours or you could simply buy an already framed poster of equal size and swap out the posters.

My wife just bought 2 large framed posters for about 25 bucks for her office, complete with metal frame and glass. There was no matting however.

pdmtong
04-06-2010, 12:47 PM
As for framing and size, I'd say anything goes.

These two happily were the same and make a nice "corner of fame" in my "office". They are signed, so decison to matte and frame much easier

BumbleBeeDave
04-06-2010, 01:24 PM
. . . I'd talk to the local frame shop pros about the proper archival matting and glass to use to protect them from UV and fading out. If you've got anything like that pic of Lemond with an autograph it would be worth the extra trouble and money to preserve it, IMHO.

BBD

Bytesiz
04-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Nah, my stuff is nothing special... I just want it to look professional and not turn my office into a dorm room.

pdmtong
04-06-2010, 03:56 PM
believe me, even thought the prints are signed I had to do some convincing as to why they are wall eligible. I have a smallish house in california, so to even get a corner I had to get a decorating concession from the boss. I think the "moral of the story" though is that frmaing does make them show nicer. look for those pre-packaged ready to mount frames in the art stores. thats the path of least resistance.....since you are the "beholder" I'd say if they make you happy, go ahead and frame them....I hear you on the dorm room effect......

dumbod
04-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Assuming that you don't want to spend $200 or more on the framing (NYC prices, YMMV), I'd go to good old Bed Bath & Beyond. They'll have lots of framing options and it will be a whole lot cheaper than a framing store.

Or, if you're handy, do it yourself. You need a mitre saw and a frame clamp is really useful but otherwise, it's pretty simple.

Craig Ryan
04-06-2010, 05:31 PM
I would take them to a frame shop like Michaels or similar large chain art and craft store. They will do a good job and it won't cost an arm and a leg. They run coupons all the time, so watch the sunday paper and save money. Some of the metal section frames can be pretty nice, and when you go poster size it makes sense. If you have a good edge of an inch or so you could forgo a cut matt, but a matt would look nicer and give them class for an office environment. Try to get at least a 2" matt if possible. Check into acrylic instead of glass, but it will be more expensive. They will look nice!
Craig

alexstar
04-06-2010, 07:31 PM
The most economical way to get them on the wall is to put them in a standard size readymade frame, which you should be able to get at any art supply store or home decorating store. Most posters are a standard size; whether that's measured in inches or centimeters depends on where it's printed. A european poster measured in centimeters will be difficult to fit into an American readymade frame without a mat or some trimming.

Don't pick up a pre-framed poster and expect to swap the poster easily. Many of these are total junk, built cheaply in southeast Asia and designed to maintain their structural integrity just long enough to be hung on the wall. They are, for the most part, not meant to be taken apart. Many of them have the poster glued into the frame, so if you attempt to disassemble it, the entire contraption will fall to pieces.

Many independent picture frame shops will do a "poster special" for $50-100, which includes a basic metal or wood frame, regular glass, and assembly. This is what I recommend, as it will be cut to the correct size for your poster, and you can be sure of a quality job. (do your homework before you choose a shop - workmanship varies, as with anything else.)

Don't buy from Michael's without a coupon - their markups on framing are grotesque. Using a coupon is the only way to get anything near a good deal.

I think I covered the basics. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I was a picture framer for 7 years.

Alex
Alameda, CA