PDA

View Full Version : Getting to know you ... again

TimD
04-06-2010, 07:00 AM
My Ottrott has been trainer-bound all winter but made its spring debut last week. All nice and shiny to begin with, a few rides through deep standing water took care of that.

Saturday I suffered three flats (don't ask). You know the feeling when the rear tire starts going down? Well, a feeling not unlike that, but less so, has been present before and after the flats. I checked everything, it is all tight / torqued / true / topped up.

I figured it out this morning... ST rear... ST rear... just doin' its thing, making the rubber meet the road.

Separately, I confirmed today that my example cannot be ridden no-hands downhill at 30 MPH. Immediate death wobble. Hands on it's fine. Hands off and we're talking high-frequency shake-and-bake. Okay, I guess I'll just have to hang on, no biggie :)

oldpotatoe
04-06-2010, 07:55 AM
My Ottrott has been trainer-bound all winter but made its spring debut last week. All nice and shiny to begin with, a few rides through deep standing water took care of that.

Saturday I suffered three flats (don't ask). You know the feeling when the rear tire starts going down? Well, a feeling not unlike that, but less so, has been present before and after the flats. I checked everything, it is all tight / torqued / true / topped up.

I figured it out this morning... ST rear... ST rear... just doin' its thing, making the rubber meet the road.

Separately, I confirmed today that my example cannot be ridden no-hands downhill at 30 MPH. Immediate death wobble. Hands on it's fine. Hands off and we're talking high-frequency shake-and-bake. Okay, I guess I'll just have to hang on, no biggie :)

Altho all frames will shake eventually, 30 mph and speed wobble is not normal, IMO. I think it is a 'biggie'. I have never had a frame shake with a speed wobble...58cm generally, steel and ti...55mph+, hands off...

TimD
04-06-2010, 08:17 AM
FWIW, this is a 63cm ST frame, 6 degree sloping TT of length 61.7 cm. The HT is about 230mm. The fork is an Ouzo Pro, carbon steerer, cut to 315. I weigh 190. That this produces a resonant system is not surprising :)

I suppose I could try the F3 10.5 again but I'm fine with the bike as it is, it rides considerably better in toto than my other bikes and is otherwise very stable & maneuverable.

Thanks -
Tim