PDA

View Full Version : Winery tours in the Willamette Valley

sam.g
03-21-2005, 02:23 PM
This August I'll be riding Cycle America's "Coastline Redwoods/Crater Lake" tour starting in Cottage Grove Oregon. We are considering flying out a day early to explore some of the southern Willamette Valley's local wineries. Can anyone recommend local wineries and places of interest within a one days ride of Cottage Grove, say 50 to 75 miles? Needless to say we're big fans of Willamette Valley Pinot.

Any advice both wine and cycling would be appreciated. thanks

Sam

bcm119
03-21-2005, 05:02 PM
If you really like Oregon Pinot, I'd recommend coming out 2 days early and going up to the Yamhill wine region to tour the wineries. There are a few wineries outside Eugene, but you are probably more familiar with the wineries further north. The great Pinots such as Van Duzer, Patricia Greene, Argyle, Sineann, Hamacher, etc., are all up in the Yamhill/Micminnville region. If you're going to be all the way out here, you shouldn't miss them!

However, if you just can't make it up there, the Eugene area has several wineries who produce Pinot...notably Iris Hill, LaVelle, and Territorial. IMO, the Eugene area wineries aren't of consistently high quality compared to the Yamhill wineries. My favorite southern Willamette winery is Iris Hill, which is just west of Cottage Grove in Lorane. There is also a Belle Vallee tasting room in downtown Eugene. Sounds like a great tour, and don't forget, Oregon is beer country too!

Nora
03-21-2005, 08:08 PM
My favorite southern Willamette winery is Iris Hill, which is just west of Cottage Grove in Lorane.

I'm not a wine drinker, but I heard some good things about a winery near Lorane (probably the Iris Hill) and my friend buys a couple of cases every year from them.

shinomaster
03-21-2005, 10:23 PM
I stayed in Forest Grove a few years back with my girlfriend at a McMennemens School/ Threatre/ Pub/ and went to some nice wineries in the area....Very close to Portland. Elk Cove was a good one...The area is very lovely and good for cycling!http://www.thegrandlodge.com/index.php?loc=59

gasman
03-21-2005, 10:29 PM
At least one good winery near Lorane is King Estate winery. They have some very good wines and they now have tours of the winery.I thought that their Pinot had won several awards, you may be able to find that out online.They do make some other good varietals.
The winery is great ride over from Cottage Grove and in fact I have done a loop from Eugene to C.G. many times and it passes by the King winery.I'd be happy to ride down to C.G. if I'm around and show you the way.When will you be here in August ? Another nearby winery is Hinman Vineyards but their wine is a bit more pedestrian.

Wanker
03-21-2005, 11:11 PM
sam.g
Tell us more about this tour you are doing. How many miles and days of riding. I've been riding the Cycle Oregon tour for the last many years, but this year's ride seems a bit lame because it will be in my back yard for the last 4 days. So, I'm looking for options. I may just do a credit card tour of some dry region in Oregon instead. Depends on the available options....
wanker

sam.g
03-22-2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks to all for the info, I'm very farmiliar with the wines from King Estate, a great Willamette vinyard! However I'll now need to do more research in planning this one day winery tour.

Gasman, I'll advise you as once our group has firmed up our dates and plans.

Wanker, check out Cycle America's web site for details, we're riding their "Coastline Redwoods/Crater Lake" tour August 2nd through 11th. It covers 602 miles in 9 days including a day off at Crater Lake. This will be our group's second tour with Cycle America and highly recommend them for credit card touring. None of us are very fond of camping nor spending nights in smelly gyms so we opt for hotels along the way which does bring the price up.

http://www.cycleamerica.com/np6crater.htm

Sam G
Cincinnati, Ohio