PDA

View Full Version : Methods for Positioning Replacement Cleats

jimp1234
04-05-2010, 05:58 PM
I'm about to replace my worn Look Delta cleats, and I was wondering if there's a better method for positioning the replacement cleats than the old tried and true sharpie outline on the bottom of the shoe. I've used this method for years, but sometimes because of how the cleat lays on the bottom of the shoe you can't get all the way around, or you can't get the sharpie close enough to the cleat to get an accurate tracing. Was wondering if anyone used calipers, or filing or drilling marks on the shoe and the cleat then measuring the distance or some other method to get the replacement exactly where the original was. TIA

Pete Serotta
04-05-2010, 06:17 PM
I also have had a difficult time in outlining the entire cleat with a felt tip pen. What has worked for me is to place dots at various points and then take old cleat off and put new one on in the positions that lays within those points.

Pete

Charles M
04-05-2010, 06:23 PM
I smish a marker at an angle against the cleat and sole at the center top and bottom of the cleat. It makes two little dots and when you put the new cleat on, there's only one spot that makes the cleat sit inside the markes well...

Peter P.
04-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Place strips of duct tape against the perimeter of the cleat. Works great if the cleat has some straight edges, because you'll be able to duplicate the angle of the cleat accurately.

Remove the tape when you're done.

Ozz
04-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Place strips of duct tape against the perimeter of the cleat. Works great if the cleat has some straight edges, because you'll be able to duplicate the angle of the cleat accurately.

Remove the tape when you're done.
+1 I use tape as well. Just put piece across the back of the cleat to get the fore/aft position, and then pieces on each side for the right angle.

:beer:

salvatore
04-05-2010, 06:51 PM
For a while Look was including a sticker with replacement cleats that you could place over the old ones and onto the bottom of the shoe. For some reason they don't seem to be doing it anymore, although I managed to keep one of those around. It's still hanging in there...

rustychisel
04-06-2010, 12:17 AM
can of lime green spray paint? Then take the old cleat off?

I just use a texta [sharpie]. That said, most shoes seem to have complicated fore n aft measuring marks etc on the soles these days, but they're just too complicated for me.

cmg
04-06-2010, 08:12 AM
use masking tape to outline the cleat.