PDA

View Full Version : heavy and monstrous, anybody tried Shimano 12-36 cassette

eddief
04-05-2010, 02:08 PM
i know most of you are in shape speed jockies, but wondering if any have tried this cassette on any type of bike? hear is works with normal mt. derailleurs and looking for annecdotal proofs.

Lifelover
04-05-2010, 02:31 PM
A good friend has a raod bike set up with an XTR rear derailler and runs a large cassette anytime we go to the mountians. Works Great!

By chance he ended up with the derailler that shifts the oppposite direction of the standard road derailler. It took him a little while to get used to it but it was never a problem.

With a little research I think you can get the right one.

palincss
04-05-2010, 03:46 PM
i know most of you are in shape speed jockies, but wondering if any have tried this cassette on any type of bike? hear is works with normal mt. derailleurs and looking for annecdotal proofs.

There is no special Shimano rear derailleur with a wider range than the XT and the XTR, so pretty clearly Shimano thinks it will work. After all, if you can push a road derailleur that's rated to 27T up to 30 with no problem, why should going from a 34 to a 36T on a MTB derailleur be a big reach?

I'm pretty sure I saw one on a bike at NAHBS. I know I also saw one of the SRAM XX (or is it XXX? Can't remember, but it's hard-core for sure) setups on a bike there as well. Some price difference between those two cassettes, though.