PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for a Commuter Bag?

ckamp
04-05-2010, 09:46 AM
I was thinking of retiring the 45L day-pack since I don't have to haul a ton o' books, a laptop and gym stuff to university anymore.

Looking at messenger bags sized M-L for the trip to work, recommendations?

I have looked at the timbuk2 maverics , jandd messenger, and patagonia critical ones so far on the net.
Thanks!

xjoex
04-05-2010, 10:03 AM
My opinion is courier bags look cool, but just aren't as good as a a backpack.

If you aren't carrying much at all I really like the Deuter Race X Air, it has a arched back and suspension to keep your back nice and dry. Plus it has a rain cover and a water bladder if you want to use it for mtn biking.
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2009/09/review-deuter-race-x-air.html

If you are carrying a bit more, but are concerned about waterproof, I have been using a Sealline Urban Backpack in medium. No complaints at all. Waterproof, hold a lot or a little without any complaints.
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2009/11/review-sealline-urban-backpack.html

-Joe

johnnymossville
04-05-2010, 10:20 AM
I use a tumi backpack, (Can't remember the model at the moment) that has a connection across the front along with the normal shoulder straps and it doesn't move at all.

I hate sloppy movement in backpacks when commuting, especially when I stand up to pedal from time to time.

MattTuck
04-05-2010, 10:30 AM
My opinion is courier bags look cool, but just aren't as good as a a backpack.

-Joe

Amen brother. If your job is a bike messenger and you have to quickly put stuff into and take stuff out of your bag 20+ times per day, then a messenger bag is probably a good choice.

Other than that, the benefit of a messenger bag is looks.

A backpack is a much better option. If you look around, several brands make a backpacks with a system that allows air to flow between the pack and your back.

ckamp
04-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Good stuff,

I would like to avoid back sweat as much as possible. Ill go look at that seal line one today.

Thanks!

CNY rider
04-05-2010, 11:02 AM
The best option is to get the weight off your back and onto your bike, with some kind of rack and/or bag.
Some days that doesn't happen, and I have a Bailey messenger bag that I have used for about 5 years that I am quite pleased with.
Well made, functional, and not too expensive.

MarcusPless
04-05-2010, 12:46 PM
I think messenger bags are great for messengers, not so great for commuters riding 15-20 miles each way (particularly if you have to do much climbing).

I've been using a Deuter 28 liter backpack (I think mine is called a Futura AC28, it's basically the same as this backpack (http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=futura28&sub=hiking&tert=futura)) for several years now. No complaints. Carries plenty of stuff (I keep shoes and shower stuff at the office).

While it's not a total dry bag the rain cover helps a lot. Whenever I expect to run into weather I pack my stuff into plastic kitchen garbage bags and then slide those into the backpack. Easy, cheap, works well enough. If I was riding in the rain on a *really* regular basis I'd probably choose a real dry bag, but for the occasional rain that I hit the Deuter has been more than adequate. I have ridden through some real downpours and the trash bag/rain cover combo kept the contents dry.

The built-in "air comfort" frame does a nice job of maintaining an airspace between my back and the backpack. I don't use the hip/waist belt and I've never felt like the backpack was sliding all over the place (messenger bag was way worse in this regard, particularly when climbing).

--Marcus

AngryScientist
04-05-2010, 01:02 PM
i have a medium baileyworks mess bag. they arent cheap, but they are made to last.

mine is very comfortable over my 10 mile one way commute, and i really dont have a bad word to say about it. with the chest strap its super secure in the bike too.

toasttoast
04-05-2010, 01:05 PM
i have a medium baileyworks mess bag. they arent cheap, but they are made to last.

mine is very comfortable over my 10 mile one way commute, and i really dont have a bad word to say about it. with the chest strap its super secure in the bike too.

exact same thing here, i love my baileyworks.

i've actually done 120+ mile rides with weight on my back -- one with an ortlieb rolltop, one with a chrome messenger bag. the mess bag setup was much more comfortable. of course, now i know better and have a bunch of panniers AND a burley trailer... but i figured i'd just toss that out there.

ckamp
04-05-2010, 01:12 PM
The Bailey Super Pro looks great, the waterproof lining is a selling point for me too. I guess the medium or large is practical for commuting.

Idris Icabod
04-05-2010, 02:12 PM
I've used a Chrome bag daily for about 6 years. I think it is the Metropolis, whichever is the 2nd smallest. Very comforatble but it does get a bit hot in the summer on my back in Tucson, AZ (but then it's a dry heat).

TimmyB
04-05-2010, 03:43 PM
+1 for baileyworks super pro. I have a medium that's been through plenty of downpours and kept my laptop + everything else in the bag dry. The quality of it is top notch and pretty darn comfortable too. That being said, if I was to do it over again, I'd think long and hard about getting a freight rolltop backpack or baileyworks backpack for those days when I have to carry a bunch of relatively heavy things (read: textbooks or 30 packs).

Benjamin
04-05-2010, 04:28 PM
i've been using a chrome messenger bag for almost 10 years. it's super durable, holds a ton, keeps stuff dry. as said already, one shoulder bags aren't for everyone.

i also have the seal line posted above. it's a nice bag, lightweight, strong, holds a lot, totally waterproof roll-top, easier on the back with heavier loads.

the chrome mess bag makes my back sweaty as hell in hot weather. the sealline makes it only slightly less sweaty. the only way to avoid back sweat is to get the load off your back and into rack-mount panniers or comparable.

old_school
04-05-2010, 04:37 PM
I have a large BaileyWorks SuperPro that I have used and abused for years. A local company with great people behind it. For heavier loads, I find two straps to be preferable and have a Freight Baggage backpack that holds a ton. It is a little cumbersome, but it gets the job done. BaileyWorks now makes a backpack that looks to be the bomb. Had it been available at the time, I would have certainly jumped on it.

giverdada
04-05-2010, 07:12 PM
chrome bags rock.

my first timbuk2 was a shoulder bag and it rocked pretty well for most durability, but all the truck tarp in the world couldn't make its flawed design waterproof - you need a long, overlapping flap and a very stiff, very separate area for the strap to interface with the bag, otherwise it soaks in the rain.

after trying and loving and hating panniers for commuting, i got a really old chrome dually backpack on sale. it's amazing. ultra durable. totally weatherproof for everything (and it's not even roll-top!). and two straps really make things good.

if you're slinging, getting in and out of your bag a million times a day, get a shoulder bag messenger thing. otherwise, backpacks are the best. mine cost less than a metro pass.

n. :D

Blue Jays
04-05-2010, 10:45 PM
When carrying extra stuff is essential, I've pressed my CamelBak M.U.L.E. into duty.

erector
04-06-2010, 01:05 AM
I've had my chrome bag for 5 years, and GET ONE or DON'T GET ONE. It gets sweaty, this is true, so if I could do it all again, I might choose a vented-back back-pack; HOWEVER, I've had the bag for 5 years, and it looks as new as the day I bought it. Tough as nails. So if you want a bag to pass on for the generations, and don't mind the back-sweat (I don't have THAT far to commute, and I usually wear a thin jersey when I do) then Chrome is a solid choice. PLUS it's made in good ole San Francisco. Nothin's better than home-made.

Blue Jays
04-06-2010, 01:31 AM
"...Nothin's better than home-made..."Considering that I likely couldn't sew a patch onto a jacket, I'd rather purchase bicycle luggage from one of the fine bag professionals mentioned.

GuyGadois
04-06-2010, 01:35 AM
I don't like having the weight on my back. It is much more comfortable to put it on the bike. I use a Topeak system where the bag slides on and clicks in. Very fast and easy to use. The sides fold down to full panniers on the side or fold up when not in use to look like a rear bag. It is a good solution for my commuting and it holds a ton of stuff.

Guy

Lovetoclimb
04-06-2010, 07:45 AM
For a while I used a messenger bag made by a craft artist from Brooklyn NY. She used recycled vinyl and sailboat canvas so the bags are very unique and the cost is in line with Timbuk 2 and Chrome. It is waterproof on account of the materials and having been caught in some light rain, nothing inside was wet when I opened it.

I met her at a craft fair in chicago and got the skinny on her technology. Really cool girl doing what she loves. Used my bag for a two day 250 mile ride from Cincinnati to Cleveland with only minor inconvenience.

Vaya (http://www.vayabags.com/)

Second is my Ortlieb Flight which I picked up used from a girl who was too short for it. This is an amazing bag, fully waterproof, incredibly comfortable, with only one gripe: it rides very high on your back so getting aero will likely cause your helmet to hit the top of the support system. I commute 15 miles each way to work climbing and descending some intense hills and this bag rocks out carrying my lunch, clothes, and shoes if needed. The support system also keeps it off your back so you arrive significantly less sweaty.

They cost something like $200 but if you are patient you may find one like I did for $100. Best of luck in your selection! Happy Riding.

djg
04-06-2010, 11:28 AM
I use different bags, depending on the cargo. For tons of stuff -- box of pressed shirts, plus papers, plus whatever -- it's hard to beat a messenger bag. I have a basic timbuk2 model it seems fine. Large is pretty big. XL is huge.

OTOH, the advantages of a messenger bag seem to me to be cheifly those of volume of the bag, size of the opening, and easy access -- not necessarily stability and comfort while riding with a moderate load. For that reason, I more often go to a backpack. I've got a deuter model (sprung mesh back panel isolating the load from the back) which is very good, and a small Vaude pack (similar design) which I also like. For a change of clothes, or a change of clothes plus a laptop, I'd much rather use the deuter pack than a messenger bag. My deuter model is the futura 28 AC, which I find to be a good mid-sized pack, but they have various models with the same basic design.

I've also got a large lumbar pack, which is handy when I need to cart more stuff than I can cram in jersey pockets but don't want to wear a pack.

FlaRider
04-06-2010, 02:11 PM
I am currently using a messenger bag made by Reload, a great outfit in Philadelphia. The bag is _really_ well made (better IMO than a comparable Chrome that I also own), has a nifty split-strap system that makes it easy to put on/remove and is very comfortable to ride with. Check them out at:www.reloadbags.com.