PDA

View Full Version : Fenders

indyslug
03-21-2005, 10:39 AM
I have a Serotta CDA with Ultegra and 700x23 tires. Does anyone know if SKS-Germany Race Blade fenders are compatable and attachable? If not are there any other clip on fenders that can be used? (And please don't tell me not to ride in the rain. Sometimes here in Indiana if you aren't riding in the rain you aren't riding).

Indyslug

coylifut
03-21-2005, 10:58 AM
this was the last fender thread I can remember

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=5916&highlight=fenders

alembical
03-21-2005, 11:00 AM
They work great on my CSI, but I would recommend an extension to them as they are not too long.

Alembical

wasfast
03-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Living in the Willamette Valley in Oregon, you end up finding fenders mandatory for any sort of winter riding. My rain bike has the regular SKS fenders. Several folks in the club I ride with have the Race Days versions.
Plus: Easy to mount/remove, fit bikes with little rear clearance between tire and seat tube

Cons: Not cheap, minimal coverage, straps don't work well with all fork types as far as staying in postion.

I have the obligatory fender extensions on mine as well. For the life of me, I don't understand why SKS doesn't make the fenders longer and let you cut them off as needed. My current extensions are plastic milk carton with 2 tie wraps per fender. The extensions, especially in the front, make a HUGE difference in staying dry. The rear extension is the "buddy" maker for those that ride behind you :)

PanTerra
03-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Oh no, a CDA with fenders. :eek:

palincss
03-21-2005, 06:25 PM
I have a Serotta CDA with Ultegra and 700x23 tires. Does anyone know if SKS-Germany Race Blade fenders are compatable and attachable? If not are there any other clip on fenders that can be used? (And please don't tell me not to ride in the rain. Sometimes here in Indiana if you aren't riding in the rain you aren't riding). Indyslug

Fenders you can make for yourself from coroplast election signs, from Kent Peterson, a noted Seattle-area randonneur:

http://www.mile43.com/peterson/FendForYourself.html

Brace yourself: these are not for the faint of heart or those with nervous or sensitive dispositions.

bags27
03-21-2005, 06:45 PM
Indyslug--they should work. I have a pair--never used--which are just a hair too small for my 700x25s. Happy to sell them to you at a deep discount, if you want to e-mail me.

vandeda
03-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Personally .... I know they exist (I'm sure they have to) ... but I've yet to see a front fender that was long enough. I have full fenders on my Centurion, and have looked at other brands than the Planet Bike ones I have on the Centurion for when I get my Vanilla. Every fender I've seen so far does not extend down far enough, and will drench your BB (and your feet if you're turning). I would recommend extending whatever fenders you get, as others have recommended above, to keep the water off the BB and your feet.

And if anyone knows of ful fenders that extend further, even to the point of nearly touching the ground, let me know.

Dan

Sacha White
03-21-2005, 11:45 PM
hey Vandeda,

Honjo fenders work really well. They come undrilled so you can mount them as low as you want. They are super high quality and all metal too.

-Sacha

coylifut
03-21-2005, 11:46 PM
hey Vandeda,

Honjo fenders work really well. They come undrilled so you can mount them as low as you want. They are super high quality and all metal too.

-Sacha

where do we find em?

vandeda
03-22-2005, 06:09 AM
hey Vandeda,

-Sacha

Sacha,

How durable as aluminum fenders? I know the plastic ones on my Centurion have taken some abuse, but being plastic, they don't dent. I'm curious because when I get my bike built up in October, it will definitely be an everyday commuter and will see some abuse, and I'd hate to have dented, bent fenders. Maybe that's why Honjo makes the dented style, so if you get another dent, they'll be OK ;)

Let me know ... I'd be highly interested in the fenders if they are relatively durable and can take the abuse

coylifut ... I've seen them on Sacha's bike, so you can probably get a set from him at the very least!

Thanks for the info!!!!
Dan V.

christian
03-22-2005, 07:51 AM
Honjos are available from Jitensha Studio in Berkeley. Hiroshi is happy to ship them.

I like the Berthoud stainless steel fenders from Wallbike and PJW even better. They're not quite as artful as the Honjos, but they're even sturdier, and remarkably lightweight.

Both Honjos and Berthouds are sufficiently long. The Berthouds also come with a leather mudflap. How's that for style points?

- Christian

Sacha White
03-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Vandeda,

They have been much more reliable than sks, but not bomb proof.

Coylifut,

I have an extra set if you want them, but you will have to reveal your secret identity to get them. ;)

coylifut
03-22-2005, 12:07 PM
Vandeda,

They have been much more reliable than sks, but not bomb proof.

Coylifut,

I have an extra set if you want them, but you will have to reveal your secret identity to get them. ;)

I don't need em. They should to go to someone who does. My identity is far from secret. You'd recognize me if you saw me. I got nothing to hide.

* real name, if you like: Terry Keele
* where do you live? Portland OR area
* explanation of your handle: Choy - Choy Fok, Li - Li Yau San, Fut - meaning Buddha. A Northern and Southern Kung-Fu system developed in the early 1800s.
* explanation of your avatar: guess I need one of those
* age (general or specific): 41
* favorite bike: Ti Spectrum
* what's in your stable? Ti Spectrum, Merckx Corsa, Kelley SS cross rig, Kona Cross bike, Specialized hard-tale, 80s Trek fixe, Guerciotti track bike (on loan).
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 52 down Bald Peak in the draft of someone much heavier than me
* how many miles ON THE ROAD: Just turned 9k
* picture of yourself or your ride? a few in the gallery
* make up and answer at least one additional question:What got you back into cycling? Re hab for a dislocated hip.

Sacha White
03-23-2005, 12:31 AM
Coylifut,

I really just meant that if you wanted the fenders you would have to come by my shop in person. No worries if you dont need them.

I will keep my eye out for a Buddah at the cross races.

- Sacha

coylifut
03-23-2005, 05:22 AM
Coylifut,

I really just meant that if you wanted the fenders you would have to come by my shop in person. No worries if you dont need them.

I will keep my eye out for a Buddah at the cross races.

- Sacha

gotta say, my post above comes off as rather sharp. So, let me re phrase in the intended tone.

THANK YOU. Because I live here in Portland, I'm all ears when it comes to fenders. Thanks for the tip regarding the Honjos. The next time I need to replace some fenders, I'll give em a look-see. I get as excited about fenders as most people around here get excited about deep section carbon fiber wheels. I'm sure it has nothing to do with living in the "new" San Diego.

I'll see you around.
Peace

Ray
03-23-2005, 07:53 AM
Late to this thread - sorry. But would the original poster's CDA with 23's even fit the full size Honjos or Berthouds that have been recommended? Most bikes with modern forks and short reach brakes won't. Which is why I thought he asked about the race blade fenders. Am I wrong - would these full fenders fit?

-Ray

christian
03-23-2005, 08:35 AM
No, you are right.

He needs SKS Raceblades.

But it seems a shame to let a "fender" thread go by without mentioning Honjo and Berthoud, doesn't it?

BTW, where I come from, fenders hang off the sides of boats...

- Christian

wasfast
03-23-2005, 09:40 AM
Late to this thread - sorry. But would the original poster's CDA with 23's even fit the full size Honjos or Berthouds that have been recommended? Most bikes with modern forks and short reach brakes won't. Which is why I thought he asked about the race blade fenders. Am I wrong - would these full fenders fit?

The solution to use full length fenders on modern bikes is Reacharounds. They are sold through River City Bicycles in Portland. Here's a link that shows the installation:

http://www.rivercitybicycles.com/mod.php?mod=userpage&menu=1105&page_id=58

For $15, you can mount fenders on most bikes

Sacha White
03-23-2005, 10:17 AM
In the case of the reach around, the honjos are not as hood as the sks. all of the edges on the honjos are folded under to give the fender strength. if you cut the fender in half that edge will want to split. maybe the stainless would work better here.

weisan
03-23-2005, 10:28 AM
Terry Keele

coylifut (aka **Flying Eagle**), is this yours? :D

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2004/g/keele.htm

I like it!

coylifut
03-23-2005, 10:44 AM
coylifut (aka **Flying Eagle**), is this yours? :D

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2004/g/keele.htm

I like it!

Where did you get the flying eagle thing?

weisan
03-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Where did you get the flying eagle thing?

Oh nevermind, I was confused...by all the southern style, northern style, western style, eastern style, northeastern style, south-western style, east-western style... :D

You might wanna add this to your avatar: 蔡李佛
;)

coylifut
03-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Oh nevermind, I was confused...by all the southern style, northern style, western style, eastern style, northeastern style, south-western style, east-western style... :D

You might wanna add this to your avatar: 蔡李佛
;)

The only eagle I could be compared to is the Bald eagle