PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler: Flanders

thwart
04-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Is it always on the Muur?

Wow... Spartacus just rode away from Boonen.

Just... wow.

whforrest
04-04-2010, 10:01 AM
How many riders in cycling history could punch through the wind and ride away from Boonen while in the saddle? Cancellara is my hero. The spectators on the Mur were in shock to watch his force. Fabian is a freak of nature..............

WOW is correct!

Johnny P
04-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Very impressive indeed.

soulspinner
04-04-2010, 07:17 PM
He seemed almost humble afterward. It was cool he showed the camera his daughters little troll just before the finish :beer:

paczki
04-04-2010, 08:33 PM
So awesome. I'm glad my prediction was wrong.
He's a beast, but also a really smart rider. Saw Boonen was in trouble and took advantage. As he said the first "surge" was more Boonen faltering. Then he put it away.

Spartacus! Spartacus!

Marcusaurelius
04-04-2010, 08:52 PM
I had picked Boonen but Cancellara was the better man today. And of course all the Lance haters will be angry Lance came in 27th. I did notice a lot of DNF. Maybe half of the field.

rwsaunders
04-04-2010, 09:09 PM
LA anounced a while ago that he was racing the TOF in preparation for the pave sections that are included this year in the TDF...only 95 finished today.

Good article about today's race, and an exceptional ride by FC, since he made some recent comments that Devolder and Boonen were “done” for Flanders.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/ronde-van-vlaanderen-upt/results

MattTuck
04-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Great race, just finished it on the DVR.

Cancellara and Boonen are two of my favorite riders so it was a great race for me to watch.

Those hills are one of the few places where the pros look like they're having as much trouble as the rest of us... or atleast don't look like they're totally at home on a bike.

Steve in SLO
04-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Those hills are one of the few places where the pros look like they're having as much trouble as the rest of us... or atleast don't look like they're totally at home on a bike.

Watching them made me wonder what we mortals would look like on those climbs. Probably not something we'd want filmed.

Elefantino
04-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Boonen said he got a cramp on the Muur, but it looked to me like he either ran out of gears or got caught in the wrong one.

Or, maybe, he just didn't have it for a superman today.

gone
04-04-2010, 10:01 PM
When you're one of the favorites, you've announced in advance that this is the race you want to win and you are able to just ride away from Tom Boonen in a race he really wants to win - that's impressive! Boonen may have had a cramp, may have been caught on the wrong side, etc., but the rate at which Cancellara put distance into him on the Muur was just flat out amazing.

On the other hand, there's Hincapie. You're in the lead group, one of the two favorites (Cancellara) makes a move. The other favorite (Boonen) goes with him. What do you do? Hesitate. Hesitate? It seems like he'd be on Boonen and Cancellara like white on rice if he wants to have any chance.

Quoted from Velonews:

“I’m disappointed,” he said. “I had good legs on the Molenberg and I hesitated when Fabian and Tom went. That was a big mistake, and from then on everyone in the chase was watching each other. I got a little caught behind the breakaway guys we were catching on Molenberg, and that was a big mistake. I really think I could have gone there, but it’s Flanders, and you have to be 100 percent focused at all times. It’s really unfortunate, I think I could have gone with them. I had really good legs today.”

It seems like every classic where he doesn't crash or the bike doesn't break he does something lame and afterward says the usual "I had great legs, if only ..."

Don't get me wrong, I want to see him win one but it's like being a Cubs fan. In fairness though, even if he'd made the move he would have finished no better than 3rd.

hairylegs
04-04-2010, 10:34 PM
I was on the trainer and loved every second! :)

weisan
04-04-2010, 11:56 PM
I watched the highlights clips on cyclingfans.com and read the report where Boonen said he matches his rival in strength but after watching Cancellara climbed the Muur seated down, flew through the corners, and time-trialled his way to the finish...I gotta say, the winner of this year's edition did not just win in terms of pure watts, he won in EVERY aspects of his chosen sports discipline. In a way, Fabian has become the "complete" rider this year. :banana: :beer:

whforrest
04-05-2010, 02:27 AM
After the climb boonen was averaging 55km on the flats and Spartacus continued to distance himself, damn! Boonen was actually great today, he was flying up that last climb, but Fabian is just that fast. Look at his mid section, he has the heart of secreteriat, and the lungs of a whale. Hincapie as usual is looking back while the attack goes in front of him. I love hincapie, but who could keep that pace up the Muur?

Great event today

MattTuck
04-05-2010, 07:20 AM
On the other hand, there's Hincapie. You're in the lead group, one of the two favorites (Cancellara) makes a move. The other favorite (Boonen) goes with him. What do you do? Hesitate. Hesitate? It seems like he'd be on Boonen and Cancellara like white on rice if he wants to have any chance.

Quoted from Velonews:

“I’m disappointed,” he said. “I had good legs on the Molenberg and I hesitated when Fabian and Tom went. That was a big mistake, and from then on everyone in the chase was watching each other. I got a little caught behind the breakaway guys we were catching on Molenberg, and that was a big mistake. I really think I could have gone there, but it’s Flanders, and you have to be 100 percent focused at all times. It’s really unfortunate, I think I could have gone with them. I had really good legs today.”

It seems like every classic where he doesn't crash or the bike doesn't break he does something lame and afterward says the usual "I had great legs, if only ..."

Don't get me wrong, I want to see him win one but it's like being a Cubs fan. In fairness though, even if he'd made the move he would have finished no better than 3rd.

Agreed, he's certainly a superb rider with a long distinguished career. And with so many Top 10 finishes in classics races, I can see why people often think he is "due."

At the end of the day though, what separates the greats from folks like George is that little extra (whether its heart, drive, fury, focus, whatever) that lets them dig deeper when it really matters.

When GH came out last TDF and had a shot at a day in yellow, he sounded extremely whiny when he complained about the other US team and/or Astana shutting the break down. He lost a lot of points that day.

Maybe that is the problem, he believes he's entitled to these victories because of his elder statesman status and no longer has the fire to claw for the victories.

Just sayin'. In the history books, GH is not going to be remembered as a great classics rider. He'll be remembered as a super domestique, a role he seems to excel in.

fourflys
04-05-2010, 08:09 AM
it would have been cool to see the Swiss, Belgian and US national jerseys all fighting it out for a win though!

Fabian is a beast and I can't wait to see more of him, I think I heard them say he's only 29 or 30....

paczki
04-05-2010, 08:31 AM
At the end of the day though, what separates the greats from folks like George is that little extra (whether its heart, drive, fury, focus, whatever) that lets them dig deeper when it really matters.

I think it's the ability to make the right decision on the fly, to impose your stamp on the race.

johnnymossville
04-05-2010, 08:40 AM
I liked how Cancellara afterward seemed to be introspective as to what he had done. Winning Flanders is BIG and he is soaking it all in. A worthy champion to say the least.

Look out Paris Roubaix! They'll be on his wheel like stink on you-know-what all day.

LegendRider
04-05-2010, 08:45 AM
“I’m disappointed,” said the American, who recorded his sixth top ten result in the race of his career. “I had good legs on the Molenberg and I hesitated when Cancellara and Boonen went. That was a big mistake because from then on it was just everyone watching each other. Those guys where gone.”

A buddy of mine put it best when analyzing Hincapie:

How the hell do you ride a northern classic and 40 km from the finish, hesitate when the 2 strongest riders attack? That is amazing.

johnnymossville
04-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Hincapie has so many top 10's I think he personally looks at them like wins in a way. He's such a gifted rider, but lacks the killer instinct.

At this point in his career I'd rather see him go for the kill and blow up then get another top 10.

goonster
04-05-2010, 09:40 AM
How the hell do you ride a northern classic and 40 km from the finish, hesitate when the 2 strongest riders attack? That is amazing.
Well, they are the strongest riders. If it was as simple as "choosing not to hesitate" then everyone would do it. He hesitates because he knows, in that instant, that he can't hold their wheel.

LegendRider
04-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Well, they are the strongest riders. If it was as simple as "choosing not to hesitate" then everyone would do it. He hesitates because he knows, in that instant, that he can't hold their wheel.

I understand what you're saying, but he is clearly saying it was a tactical error not a lack of strength when, in fact, the latter is more likely.

paczki
04-05-2010, 10:00 AM

That seems right. I watched the race with a friend who was a serious bike racer and she said in situations like that it's really believing that you can do it, being able to imagine yourself winning by doing it.

bheight1
04-05-2010, 11:46 AM
I liked how Cancellara afterward seemed to be introspective as to what he had done. Winning Flanders is BIG and he is soaking it all in. A worthy champion to say the least.

Look out Paris Roubaix! They'll be on his wheel like stink on you-know-what all day.

"They" certainly can try! But unlike the World's where he was certainly a marked favorite, the weather/mud--cobbles--mechanicals, make it a race of attrition. Looks like a favorite--barring another couple of mechanicals--to double up the first two weekends in April. The most powerful rider ususally wins this classic and usually from simply amping up the gas over a cobbled section like Le Carrefour de l’Arbre and gaining a gap--trying to "jump" a group over the cobbles is impossible. This race fits FC superbly being a BIG hammer. So dependent upon who and/or what teams survive Arenberg and make the final selection, Cancellara's form + gap = game over.

However, I do think Team Sky will have good representation in Arvesen (who helped FC in '06) Flecha (a perennial classics rider) and Edvald Boasson Hagen (my choice), who I think has has this circled and will certainly win this soon. Having Sean Yates in the car can't hurt.

soulspinner
04-05-2010, 05:17 PM
What was the reason Cancellara needed a bike change? I missed that...

Ozz
04-05-2010, 05:46 PM
...Wow... Spartacus just rode away from Boonen....wow.
Why is he called "Spartacus"?

climbgdh
04-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Why is he called "Spartacus"?

I think it's because of his "take no prisoners" or "gladiator" style of riding. Like in the 07 TDF when he was already in yellow & he attacked the peloton on the stage into Compiegne with less than a km to go. Or like his chaseback to the group after his puncture on stage 7 on last years TDF. There is a youtube clip of this. The dude has incredible bike handling skills. I think I read somewhere he hit 100kph on that descent trying to catch the group. He is sure fun to watch.

thwart
04-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Cancellara – a mean machine on the road with a gladiatorial physique and nerves of steel – has been nicknamed "Spartacus" by his team mates.

Nicknamed 'Spartacus' for his huge frame of 1.86m which makes him easy to spot in the peloton.

The above from a couple of different sources.

He's gotta have people thinking this weekend at P-R... can he be beaten?

paczki
04-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Cancellara – a mean machine on the road with a gladiatorial physique and nerves of steel – has been nicknamed "Spartacus" by his team mates.

Nicknamed 'Spartacus' for his huge frame of 1.86m which makes him easy to spot in the peloton.

The above from a couple of different sources.

He's gotta have people thinking this weekend at P-R... can he be beaten?

He can certainly be beaten if you follow his wheel into the velodrome!

fourflys
04-06-2010, 01:57 PM
He can certainly be beaten if you follow his wheel into the velodrome!

looking back at last weekend, that's a big if....

rwsaunders
04-06-2010, 07:20 PM
What do LA and RW have in common on their rough road bikes? They both use $7 Trek bottle "bat" cages..... :cool:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/pro-bike-lance-armstrongs-radioshack-trek-madone-6-series-25622

Bobbo
04-07-2010, 09:52 AM
bat cages rule!

RADaines
04-07-2010, 10:51 AM
What was the reason Cancellara needed a bike change? I missed that...

I read that both he and Matti Breschel had brakes come loose and were rubbing on the wheel. In the case of Cancellara, he had a great bike change whereas Breschel's was not so good. He got Stuart O'Grady's spare bike by mistake.

gone
04-07-2010, 10:58 AM
I read that both he and Matti Breschel had brakes come loose and were rubbing on the wheel. In the case of Cancellara, he had a great bike change whereas Breschel's was not so good. He got Stuart O'Grady's spare bike by mistake.

Yeah, that was really bad news for Breschel, he was going well at the time.

Wouldn't it have been something if they'd screwed up Cancellara's change? I have to say, that was far and away the best bike change I've ever seen. Cancellara was cool as a cucumber and picked exactly the right spot. The mechanic was ready, stop, toss the bike, mount the new one, ride away, 8 seconds. Poetry.

MattTuck
04-07-2010, 11:08 AM
I have to say, that was far and away the best bike change I've ever seen. Cancellara was cool as a cucumber and picked exactly the right spot. The mechanic was ready, stop, toss the bike, mount the new one, ride away, 8 seconds. Poetry.

Can anyone find a video this change? I quick search pulled some articles that said Fabian changed bikes twice. I don't know about that. I'd like to see a video of the change though.

fourflys
04-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Can anyone find a video this change? I quick search pulled some articles that said Fabian changed bikes twice. I don't know about that. I'd like to see a video of the change though.\

I saw the whole race and as far as I know, Fabian only changed bikes once and yes.. it was an amazing change! The car stopped, he got off and let the bike fall as he ran around the left side of the car... meanwhile, the mech got of the right side, took the new bike off and Fabian jumped on 'cross style and took off...

RADaines
04-07-2010, 12:34 PM
I saw the whole race and as far as I know, Fabian only changed bikes once

That was my impression as well. Breschel did have two bike changes, however.

r_mutt
04-07-2010, 08:04 PM
bike change: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DFM14BIYmA&feature=player_embedded#

thwart
04-07-2010, 08:34 PM
I think the above video has been deleted, but this one is worth a view...

The crowd noise is just incredible, close up on the Muur. And Lance sure gets noticed when he goes by toward the end of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T7TOTu3MyU&NR=1

jlwdm
04-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Velonews article said there was a problem with the brake binder assembly and Cancellara switched to his second bike. They fixed his main bike and then he switched back to that bike.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/04/road/flanders-tech-cancellaras-specialized-tarmac-sl3_110396

Jeff

Keith A
04-08-2010, 10:29 AM
It's already been said, but Cancellara was amazing!

Even if Boonen had a slight cramp, it didn't affect him too much since he was pounding the pedals as soon as he got over the Kapelmuur. But in the 1K after this hill, Fabian put 20 seconds over Boonen :eek: It still seems inhuman to be able to ride at 60kph after already being in the saddle for 6 hours. Boonen was certainly no slouch...both he and Cancellara increased their lead over the chase group in the final 14km.

Hats off to both those guys...but Fabian was the man.

RADaines
04-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Velonews article said there was a problem with the brake binder assembly and Cancellara switched to his second bike. They fixed his main bike and then he switched back to that bike.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/04/road/flanders-tech-cancellaras-specialized-tarmac-sl3_110396

Jeff

Are the bikes that different that he would need to switch a second time? Why wouldn't his spare bike be identical to his "race bike?" Sounds unnecessarily risky to me to do two switches.

Keith A
04-08-2010, 10:57 AM
BTW, 103 DNFs! More than half of the starting field did NOT finish!!!

MattTuck
04-08-2010, 11:00 AM
BTW, 103 DNFs! More than half of the starting field did NOT finish!!!

Unlike an amateur doing a race for fun and pride, these guys are paid athletes. If they're not in contention, why waste energy? They need to be as fresh as possible for upcoming races.

Keith A
04-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Good point Matt, but you almost never see that many DNF's in other one day races...even from those that are not in contention. As a contrast, there were no DNF's in the women's ToF.

r_mutt
04-10-2010, 12:50 PM
I think the above video has been deleted, but this one is worth a view...

bike change take 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T25fqnRb-mU&feature=player_embedded

rwsaunders
04-10-2010, 04:25 PM
bike change take 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T25fqnRb-mU&feature=player_embedded

That was a smooth move.