PDA

View Full Version : Shoe suggestions

tim11
04-03-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm currently in the market for a new pair of MTB shoes and was wondering if anyone here has any thoughts on the various brands. I've been riding a pair of Specializeds that I like but don't love for a few years, so I'm thinking about trying something new. Is SIDI the answer or should I consider some of the other options?

Thanks for any input.

Bruce K
04-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Geez, I'm probably not going to be much help but after trying Sidis (which I love on the road) and Shimanos, I found a set of Specialized Pro MTB shoes to use for cyclocross and I love them.

Excellent fit, good heel retention, leather (or fake stuff) in all the places that might wear out fabric mesh, and fabric mesh in just enough spots to stay comfy in warmer weather.

If their road shoe is as nice I will be buying a pair when my Sidis die.

BK

pdmtong
04-03-2010, 08:11 PM
the affordable sidi's, the Dom 5's ot me look just like a genious 5 but with cleats. the fit is great BUT I prefer my shimano's -- they have better wrap around the sidie/front reinforcement for hike-a-bike and rock smashing, and they fit fine. Dom5's for $200+ is just silly.

MarcusPless
04-04-2010, 09:00 AM
I think it depends on your feet...

I rode Specialized MTB shoes for several years (I've got sort of wide feet). At some point, less than a week before I was going to head to Iowa for RAGBRAI, one of my feet stopped feeling the love. I bought a pair of 47 Mega SIDIs (I think they're Dominator 5s) and rode across Iowa in a pair of shoes that I think I had done one short ride in. No problems whatsoever. YMMV.

--Marcus

jpw
04-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Maybe shoes with replaceable tread blocks, like Carnac for example?