PDA

View Full Version : OT: popcorn at home approaches, brands?

eddief
04-03-2010, 10:52 AM
A new and gentler OT philosophy had me thinking about whether or not there is an artisan approach to homemade popcorn. As a lazy you know what, for the last few years, been hooked on Orville microwave natural.

But recently I was given the gift of an electric stir crazy. It pops every kernal, I swear it does, but the finished product is not that great.

Do you have a secret pop secret? type of oil, Monsanto genetically corrected corn kernals, tons of oil?

SEABREEZE
04-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Since you live in the greater SF area, there surely should be some open green markets. I would search for organic heirloom popcorn.

We sell it on our farm, and we cant keep it on the shelf.

Tip: minerals research is a trace mineral liquid that can be gotten at your local health food store. Sueeze some on your popcorn, sea salt and some freshly melted farm fresh butter add herbs if desired. I heard folks talk about melting cheese as well

You have a healthy snack.

We use the liquid mineral for commercial use on the farm in all water troughs for the chickens and cows. As well for the farm cats and dogs.

TMB
04-03-2010, 11:38 AM
I used to make popcorn on the stove top. I used a large saucepan and I always found the secret was to make sure the oil was at full heat before adding the corn.

Put the oil in the pan, let it heat, and then drop in a kernel. If it pops - good to go.

If not, let it heat more.

Once you add in the corn put the lid and keep the pan moving all the time until the corn stops popping. This only takes 3 or 4 minutes - if that.

KEEP THE PAN MOVING.

It was the best popcorn I've ever had ( and yes it was Orville's)

Now we have a gas cooktop and it is much harder to do the stove top popcorn. I now use a hot air popper ( and Orville's), as long as I don't overfill the popper it's good, not as good as the stove top was though.

eddief
04-03-2010, 11:45 AM
is about $30 from Amazon. it is an amazingly simple machine. it gets hot fast, has the stirrer built in, and the corn is done done in about 3 minutes. teflon bottom is easy to clean and the bowl is built in. just wondering if there is a secret to the best popped corn. maybe getting some of the organic stuff might make a difference.

TMB
04-03-2010, 11:49 AM
is about $30 from Amazon. it is an amazingly simple machine. it gets hot fast, has the stirrer built in, and the corn is done done in about 3 minutes. teflon bottom is easy to clean and the bowl is built in. just wondering if there is a secret to the best popped corn. maybe getting some of the organic stuff might make a difference.

small batches - don't overfill.

maunahaole
04-03-2010, 12:17 PM
I have a POS old pan that I use. It has made so much popcorn that the oil is in the pores of the metal. I use peanut oil. I put in just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. I throw in a couple of kernels and start the heat, usually, medium high. Once a couple of kernels pop, cover the bottom of the pan with popcorn. Pop away. Use an oil with a high smoke point. I use peanut because that is how I learned. It gives a nice flavor to the finished product.

Bruce K
04-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Years ago my wife bought us a theater/bar style popcorn machine. It sits on a table in the kitchen and makes enough to feed an army.

I think she uses a little bit of saflower oil and has been mail ordering different types of popcorn on line.

She prefers the types with smaller kernals but I find them less flavorful.

BK

Ken Robb
04-03-2010, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=SEABREEZE
, sea salt and some freshly melted farm fresh butter add herbs if desired. I heard folks talk about melting cheese as well

You have a healthy snack. (Quote)

Yeah, my physician was just telling me he wished I would eat more butter, salt, and cheese because my cholesterol level was too low. :) Ken

Ken Robb
04-03-2010, 05:06 PM
OK, I love buttered popcorn and now that you have me thinking about it I'll have to make some. Doctor be damned.

My pal Satch, makes wonderful stuff on the stove top and swears one BIG secret of the flavor is using coconut oil.

dave thompson
04-03-2010, 05:09 PM
[QUOTE=SEABREEZE
, sea salt and some freshly melted farm fresh butter add herbs if desired. I heard folks talk about melting cheese as well

Yeah, my physician was just telling me he wished I would eat more butter, salt, and cheese because my cholesterol level was too low. :) Ken
You too, eh ken?

SEABREEZE
04-04-2010, 12:42 AM
[QUOTE=SEABREEZE

You may want to read this regarding cholesterol

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm