PDA

View Full Version : gran fondo series

vqdriver
04-02-2010, 11:56 AM
anyone ride the san diego gran fondo?

i plan on signing up for the LA ride. can someone explain to me the differences between a "gran fondo" ride and your typical charity century ride? it looks like the mileage options are similar.

BengeBoy
04-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Here's a brief explanation and list of US Gran Fondos from Biking Bis.

http://www.bikingbis.com/blog/_archives/2009/12/17/4406607.html

http://www.bikingbis.com/blog/_WebPages/GranFondoBike.html

I'm riding the Whistler Gran Fondo (starting in Vancouver) in September.

As far as I can tell, the biggest differences are:

- mass start, with "racers" in the front
- every participant gets a timing chip
- $$$ entrance fee

They seem to be more organized like marathon running events -- hundreds of participants, with serious racers in the front, "participants" in the back, and in general more people pay attention to their time than in a normal century ride.

Just my impression, though - my first is coming up...

Steeleye
04-02-2010, 12:40 PM
As a local the LA gran fondo sounds interesting. Any idea what the $$$s are or when the sign-up begins?

whforrest
04-02-2010, 12:43 PM
don't forget about the cool factor, i mean your doing a Gran Fondo............not a century ride. very euro.....seriously though i want to do one.

vqdriver
04-02-2010, 01:11 PM
judging by the registration info for the san diego ride, cost is ~ 100 for the longer routes. but that includes a jersey which most charity rides sell separately. but those are for charities, so......

is it a closed course ?

jlwdm
04-02-2010, 03:13 PM
The current velo news race and ride guide has a lot of info on the gran fondos and other rides.

Jeff

Pete Serotta
04-02-2010, 04:33 PM
I am signed up for the Santa Rosa one in the early fall. This is one area of the country that I truly can not get enough off. It is so so beautiful AND yes there is plenty on wonderful RED :beer:

maunahaole
04-02-2010, 05:02 PM
I am signed up for the Santa Rosa one in the early fall. This is one area of the country that I truly can not get enough off. It is so so beautiful AND yes there is plenty on wonderful RED :beer:

Pete, if you are going to be in Nor Cal. Make a point of visiting Amador County if at all possible. Nice little wine region, still somewhat undiscovered with some great hidden treasures. Still some folks doing small batches in steel garages with somewhat no frill tasting areas, etc. Great riding as well. Look for Plymouth, CA on the map. Make sure you go to Karly and try the Sadie Upton.

Pete Serotta
04-02-2010, 05:03 PM
I will. PETE

Pete, if you are going to be in Nor Cal. Make a point of visiting Amador County if at all possible. Nice little wine region, still somewhat undiscovered with some great hidden treasures. Still some folks doing small batches in steel garages with somewhat no frill tasting areas, etc. Great riding as well. Look for Plymouth, CA on the map. Make sure you go to Karly and try the Sadie Upton.

maunahaole
04-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Amador wine info (http://www.amadorwine.com/new/pages/home.cgi)

fourflys
04-02-2010, 06:25 PM
I rode the San Diego Fondo (50 miler) and while you do get a nice jersey and lunch for your $100, there isn't anything else different from any other charity ride... While I'm glad to have done one, I don't think I'll do anymore as it's on the same roads I've ridden several times for free...

BTW- On the 100 ride, they had a timing chip for the fasted climb up one of the hills... not sure if the winner got anything other than bragging rights...