PDA

View Full Version : Cinnamon for riders

Blue Jays
04-02-2010, 10:06 AM
After reading a couple of good articles, I'm going to include a bit more cinnamon (http://altmedicine.about.com/od/cinnamon/a/cinnamon.htm) into my diet this riding season.
Sounds like this spice can help with processing energy to working muscles.
It's very delicious and can improve health...count me in on this health experiment!

"...After 40 days (of taking cinnamon supplements), all 3 amounts of cinnamon reduced fasting blood glucose by 18 to 29%,
triglycerides by 23 to 30%, LDL cholesterol by 7 to 27%, and total cholesterol by 12 to 26%..."

SEABREEZE
04-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Keep us posted blue Jay with your findings.

Know a young lady with type 1 diabetes, and she swears by it.

MattTuck
04-02-2010, 12:17 PM
I do like it, but that article suggests taking it in pill form. Is that commonly available?

I think consuming a tsp. of ground cinnamon per day in your food would be A LOT of cinnamon.

Acotts
04-02-2010, 12:36 PM
This is so funny.

When I was a young kid I used to go to town on bananas after practice. i never knew why, but i did. Then a few years later is comes out that banananas are fantastic recovery foods.

Then when training for an iron man, I used to wake up in the middle of the night craving chocolate milk. Sometime I would need a couple pints of chocolate milk AND a banana just to calm down enough to get back to sleep. It was nuts and my girlfreind got somewhat concerned. Then 6 month later a report says that chocolate milk out performs all sports recovery drinks in terms of vitamin and mineral replenishment. It had something to do with being a magic mix of vitamins, protiens and carbs.

Now for the past year, I have been on a huge cinnamon kick, but only for breakfast. Especially before rides. My pre-ride meal is Coffee with Vermont maple syrup, milk and cinnamon; a bowl of Raisin Bran with cottage cheese, milk and cinnamon; and then a bowl of oatmeal with peanut butter and cinnamon. It makes me feel like a million bucks, is light on the stomach, produced an instant BM like an atomic clock (bomb) and keeps me full till noon.

Dude, I am so ahead of the sports nutrition trends it aint even funny. Watch, the next thing they will find is that Vermont Maple Syrup is the superior sugar for training. And its gotta be from Vt, or else its crap.

Mark my words. VT syrup is the next big discovery.

In 2012 when the report comes out, you can thank me.

happycampyer
04-02-2010, 12:53 PM
This is so funny.

When I was a young kid I used to go to town on bananas after practice. i never knew why, but i did. Then a few years later is comes out that banananas are fantastic recovery foods.

Then when training for an iron man, I used to wake up in the middle of the night craving chocolate milk. Sometime I would need a couple pints of chocolate milk AND a banana just to calm down enough to get back to sleep. It was nuts and my girlfreind got somewhat concerned. Then 6 month later a report says that chocolate milk out performs all sports recovery drinks in terms of vitamin and mineral replenishment. It had something to do with being a magic mix of vitamins, protiens and carbs.

Now for the past year, I have been on a huge cinnamon kick, but only for breakfast. Especially before rides. My pre-ride meal is Coffee with Vermont maple syrup, milk and cinnamon; a bowl of Raisin Bran with cottage cheese, milk and cinnamon; and then a bowl of oatmeal with peanut butter and cinnamon. It makes me feel like a million bucks, is light on the stomach, produced an instant BM like an atomic clock (bomb) and keeps me full till noon.

Dude, I am so ahead of the sports nutrition trends it aint even funny. Watch, the next thing they will find is that Vermont Maple Syrup is the superior sugar for training. And its gotta be from Vt, or else its crap.

In 2012 when the report comes out, you can thank me.Grade A or Grade B?

William
04-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Don't forget Peppermint oil. :no:

A few dabs on your upper lip will open your sinuses like you wouldn't believe. Great for getting more oxygen uptake....and not a banned substance either. ;)

William

MattTuck
04-02-2010, 01:16 PM
This is so funny.

In 2012 when the report comes out, you can thank me.

Have you considered a future in investing? ;) Perhaps start buying vermont sugar bushes (that's what a stand of maple trees that produces maple syrup is called)

Blue Jays
04-02-2010, 01:16 PM
My cholesterol and triglyceride levels are very good as it stands.
New plan is to add lots of cinnamon to morning oatmeal and see what happens.

Likes2ridefar
04-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Glad to see I'm ahead of the trend too.

I've been cooking oatmeal for breakfast nearly every day with some really strong cinnamon, almond butter, and various types of jams and jellies for the sugar. Sometimes I use maple syrup so perhaps I should ditch the jams and stick with syrup for a double whammy of energy giving foods every morning!

I wonder if different types of cinnamon work better? I've been slowly going through some super potent china cassia cinnamon. Love the taste and it's at least 50% stronger than the typical cinnamon sold at grocery stores.

Acotts
04-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Grade A or Grade B?

Aye, a good new Englander.

i actually go back and forth. but Grade B is my preference.

The key is that its from VT. The closer it is to St. Johnsbury, Newport, Barton, Lyndonville, Burke, Jay, or Island Pond, the better.

Both the trees and the farmers are more hardy up there. It translates to the bike.

happycampyer
04-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Aye, a good new Englander.

i actually go back and forth. but Grade B is my preference.

The key is that its from VT. The closer it is to St. Johnsbury, Newport, Barton, Lyndonville, Burke, Jay, or Island Pond, the better.

Both the trees and the farmers are more hardy up there. It translates to the bike.I hear ya. The purists all say that the Grade B is where it's at. More flavor, more of all the stuff that's good for you.

SEABREEZE
04-02-2010, 06:06 PM
I hear ya. The purists all say that the Grade B is where it's at. More flavor, more of all the stuff that's good for you.

Happy you beat me to the punch, with your earlier question a or b , as I was thinking the same thing. You are right again

Grade B is more beneficial.

Acotts
04-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Any syrup from a tree south of White River Junction doesn't count.

Thats Vermontachussetes syrup which is pretty good, but not the best.

MattTuck
04-03-2010, 12:18 PM

Both the trees and the farmers are more hardy up there. It translates to the bike.

Are you familiar with the current trend in maple syrup? The idea is that "terroir" exists for maple syrup just as it does for wine. And you can now buy very specific syrups that are imparted with specific soil characteristics.

I'm not sure I buy it.

My maple syrup comes from East of WRJ in (god forbid) NH, but it is also produced by my grandfather and every drop comes from his hard work and efforts to keep the fire stoked and the sap flowing.

Chris
04-03-2010, 03:45 PM
I've been taking cinnamon capsules for a year or so. We ran an experiment at the hospital where I work. I have high cholesterol (220ish). In our study, every participant experienced an increase in cholesterol the first month and then decreases across the board from there on out. You can find cinnamon capsules in your vitamin aisle at almost any store.

toaster
04-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Cinnamon is good. So is tumeric, and almost all spices and many seasonings. Lots of articles on how spices support the hormonal system. Enjoy them on foods and experiment with them.

54ny77
04-03-2010, 04:02 PM
i prefer to have my cinnamon via a large baked item, thank you.

http://shoptalk.dmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/cinnamon-roll.jpg

happycampyer
04-03-2010, 07:28 PM
i prefer to have my cinnamon via a large baked item, thank you.Jim,

Try this experiment—eat one of those a day, and see if your cholesterol increases in the first month and then decreases after that... :)

Bill

rugbysecondrow
04-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Not syrup, Honey. Great substance.

93legendti
04-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Cinnamon is good. So is tumeric, and almost all spices and many seasonings. Lots of articles on how spices support the hormonal system. Enjoy them on foods and experiment with them.
I add Turmeric to everything from tuna to chicken-good stuff.
I put cinnamon in my yogurt and latte -very tasty.