PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having a hard time passing up all the great frames out there?

Frank
03-20-2005, 12:58 PM
OK, I admit it...I am a frame addict! There are so many beautiful frames out there for what I think are really reasonable prices. My problem is I have a hard time passing them up!

I get my frame inventory down to just a few frames and say that I am just going to keep those, but then I see some beautiful new old stock frames like all-steel Colnagos, and a couple of 50th Anniversary Columbus SLX Schwinn Paramounts, and a Rossin Columbus Neuron, and a Lyonsport Reynolds 725, and a Serotta CIII...the list goes on and on!

How do you pass up on these beautiful opportunities? I know when I buy them that I will never build most of them up, but there is just something about a nice lugged steel frameset that I can't resist.

Thanks,

Frank

Jeff N.
03-20-2005, 01:12 PM
I've got the same problem you do. I find a beautiful used road frame, close to my size, and for a great price, hard to pass up. Consequently, I own about 10 road bikes. If its worth owning, I probably own it. Seven. Holland. Litespeed. Moots. Dean. Griffen. Q-Roo. Serotta. 'Dale. Airborne. And still adding from time to time. Built 'em all. Ride 'em all. Love 'em all. How do I pass them up? I rarely do! Is that sick enough for you? Jeff N.

BumbleBeeDave
03-20-2005, 04:45 PM
<<How do you pass up on these beautiful opportunities?>>

I keep my latest credit card statement posted next to my monitor.

BBDave

scrooge
03-20-2005, 05:14 PM
How do you pass up on these beautiful opportunities?

I got married. Take that however you want to . . .

PanTerra
03-20-2005, 08:28 PM
I feel you pain. I made my Tommasini into a triple (see my beater bike) so now I have an extra crankset, r derailleur, BB, a chain. I do have an extra set of wheels, some saddles, a cinelli bar. I rode with Serotta Mike this weekend, he was on Ben's NOVE, hmm, it sure was nice looking. Afterall, I do need a frame to hang all this extra componentry - almost a complete bike. :crap: Oh, what to do, what to do? - maybe I could swing one of those.

Sandy
03-20-2005, 08:31 PM
You are selling your wife to buy some bicycle frames?? :) How much?? :)

Sandy

BumbleBeeDave
03-20-2005, 09:01 PM
. . . he could be selling his DOG! :eek:

BBDave

Sandy
03-21-2005, 12:28 AM
"....he could be selling his dog!.." No one would be foolish enough to sell happiness, companionship, warmth, love, security, and a warm tongue and wagging tail for any amount of money!! :confused: :confused:

Bow Wow Sandy

RichMc
03-21-2005, 12:41 AM
Lucky you or unlucky you, as the case may be. When you need anything from a 59 to 61 cm frame there aren't that many to choose from. In my case that's a good thing from the expenditure point but a not so good thing from an availabilty point. Couple that with a certain minimum headtube length and the options become pretty limited. Shucks. I keep looking though. You could have worse addictions. :D

William
03-21-2005, 06:21 AM
Really not a problem for me. There's hardly anything out there in my size. I look occasionally but usually come up empty. I'm picky too. :rolleyes:

William

weisan
03-21-2005, 06:54 AM
Nope, not me. I hit on the point of diminishing returns, so no more looking around for me, at least not actively. I have a personal rule...and again this is strictly personal. Unless I find a bike that is more than 40% superior than any of my bikes (to my own judgement), it's not worth the investment or the flip side of it is, unless I can get 40% stronger than I am now (to my own judgement), there's no sense in justifying another new bike. Obviously, my consideration might be a bit different from my dear friend Frank. It seems like he is more on the aesthetic side, the history side of things, which is very commendable.

Of course, having other priorities like a wife and three young kids plus a decent but not generous paycheck help to keep things in perspective. Occasionally, as a mental check, I would ask myself this question: if money is no object, would I continue to upgrade my bikes, or keep looking for the best and shiniest out there?....for now, truthfully, the answer is "No." My wife was glad to hear.

From now on, I can look but I can't touch. (This doesn't cover the less-than-100 bucks conversion job I did for the fixie.)

The ONLY exception to all the rules is: unless I am getting a bike FREE or close to nothing, then all bets are off! :D

weisan

Bruce K
03-21-2005, 07:20 AM
First off, I'm like William...not much out there my size.

Second, the only road frame I truly lust for is a Parlee and that $$$ is out of the question right now.

Third, the only frame I have any plans to buy, is a new cross frame, and that ain't happenin' until my MTB is sold so I have the $$ to pay for it.

This plan might change if a Sachs came up in the right size for a "bargain" price. Otherwise, I plan to be patient and choose wisely.

BK

slowgoing
03-21-2005, 10:12 AM
I refuse to answer, although without bawling my eyes out like Mark McGuire.

zap
03-21-2005, 10:32 AM
Not a problem for me. Not many road frames out there "grab" my attention.

MartyE
03-21-2005, 12:30 PM
I keep it very specific as to the frames I am actively looking for.
RIH, De Reus, Zieleman, Jaco. . . not many here in the states.

Marty

spiderman
03-21-2005, 01:12 PM
first of all,
i am giving it all i've got to make my current ride
meet the 50 cent per mile per year criteria...
...consequently, i would have to give up
my clinical practice to ride another bike
or one that is more expensive...
second,
i get around the first by buying framesets for other people...
...it's really great fun,
i'm currently looking for a 57 cm steel csi for my nephew.
he's a college cyclist and well, he's a student.
i can't help but look...
...the problem is finding the perfect frame for him...
the perfect frame for someone else puts the brakes on a bit...
...you really have to communicate that one...
third,
i pass on my bikes to my wife or my daughters
for them to ride...now getting them to the same frame size
has been a little difficult...
but a combination of growth hormone or piling books on their heads
(isn't that what you're trying, frank??? at least that's what
i picked up from a previous thread)
things are perfect...down to a mm or two...
just waiting for my 10 year old to stretch out a bit at this point...
...she doesn't like the rack
but i'm sure will get used to it!