PDA

View Full Version : SRAM on a De Rosa?

dukeisno1
04-01-2010, 05:22 PM
How much would it be frowned upon to put SRAM Red on a De Rosa Neo Primato? My road bike is totaled and it's either wait several months to get a new frame or get the De Rosa. I would want to put some 10 speed Campy on it but I don't have any Campy wheels and have a lot invested in SRAM/Shimano compatible wheels.

Thoughts?

Joe

fourflys
04-01-2010, 05:30 PM
why not if that's what you like? It's your bike... If anyone gives you any crap, just doubletap and drop them on the climb....

:D

Of course, I have Shimano pedals with an otherwise Campy bike , so what do I know... :p

Waldo
04-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Since "rosso" is "red" in Italian, you're close enough between SRAM Red and De Rosa, so it's fine with me.

TMB
04-01-2010, 05:39 PM
it's a bike.

JLP
04-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Do you like SRAM Red and a De Rosa Neo Primato? I'd say that's pretty much all that matters.

AngryScientist
04-01-2010, 06:12 PM
you can always buy conversion cassettes and ride campy with your current wheels or the jtech shiftmate. i've heard they all work very well...

i'm the biggest campy advocate, with that said, all the top end groups work very well, you can hardly go wrong with RED (except the FD, i've heard thats way too flexy, use Force if you go that way...)

soulspinner
04-02-2010, 05:30 AM
Do what you have to , but my wheels manu conversion cassettes worked well. Some Colnagos in the pro ranks have had Shimano on them and nobody went Linda Blair... :p

dancinkozmo
04-02-2010, 06:00 AM
DONT DO IT !!!

...unless you want to.

Elefantino
04-02-2010, 06:01 AM
Do what you have to , but my wheels manu conversion cassettes worked well. Some Colnagos in the pro ranks have had Shimano on them and nobody went Linda Blair... :p
Yet...

r_mutt
04-02-2010, 06:07 AM
this is an easy one: jtek shiftmate (http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm)

you can use all of your existing shimano and sram wheels.

:cool:

sspielman
04-02-2010, 06:27 AM
What wheels do you have?...some might be easy candidates for conversion via cassette body swapping....

oldpotatoe
04-02-2010, 07:56 AM
How much would it be frowned upon to put SRAM Red on a De Rosa Neo Primato? My road bike is totaled and it's either wait several months to get a new frame or get the De Rosa. I would want to put some 10 speed Campy on it but I don't have any Campy wheels and have a lot invested in SRAM/Shimano compatible wheels.

Thoughts?

Joe

I hear the DeRosa crying from here...

johnnymossville
04-02-2010, 08:00 AM
The DeRosa will love the SRAM.

Acotts
04-02-2010, 08:47 AM
NO way.

you need Campy 11 on this bike.

And a new bike for your Red.

bzbvh5
04-02-2010, 10:55 AM
I have a friend who put Shimano on his Colango. My riding group told him that was just wrong and as a Campy lover, I tend to agree. After that no one really cares.

It's your bike, do what you want to do. It's all about you.

Marcusaurelius
04-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Of course it will work but it just doesn't seem right. Campagnolo just goes better with italian steel frames. I wouldn't feel the same way about about aluminum or carbon italian frame.

You can use american classic or wheels manufacturing cassette to make shimano wheels work with campagnolo bits.

Bob Ross
04-02-2010, 04:24 PM
I have a friend who put Shimano on his Colango. My riding group told him that was just wrong and as a Campy lover, I tend to agree.

I have a friend who put Shimano DuraAce on his 2008 (or 2009?) Pinarello Prince...when someone from our riding group opined that it was an insult to a fine Italian bike to not be outfitted with a fine Italian gruppo, I pointed out that the Prince was made in Taiwan, and the conversation ended.

That being said...

Is anyone else...um, well, surprised...or even (perhaps) disappointed ...that all the hot new bikes in ads and magazine photo shoots are outfitted with SRAM Red? Purely from an aesthetics standpoint I find modern Campy stuff so much less distracting...I wanna see the frame, not the logo on the crankarm or shift paddle!

dukeisno1
04-02-2010, 07:29 PM
If it wasn't a steel, lugged, Italian frame, it would be easier for me to justify putting Red on it. As it is, I would prefer to find some Campy 10 speed components and use a Jtek shiftmate (nice suggestion).

However, I may have to eliminate the De Rosa leaving Calfee and Kirk at the top of my wishlist.

Joe

Big Dan
04-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Do it.
Campagnolo parts are made in Romania anyways.

dancinkozmo
04-03-2010, 09:44 AM
you should get the DeRosa and put shimano on it...that would FORCE me to buy an Ebisu "Road" and install a campag group.... you know, to keep the universe from imploding on itself.

TMB
04-03-2010, 10:27 AM
If it wasn't a steel, lugged, Italian frame, it would be easier for me to justify putting Red on it. As it is, I would prefer to find some Campy 10 speed components and use a Jtek shiftmate (nice suggestion).

However, I may have to eliminate the De Rosa leaving Calfee and Kirk at the top of my wishlist.

Joe

It is a bike, meant to be ridden.

Put the Red on it and ride the daylights out of it.

People go crazy over this stuff.

It's a bike.