PDA

View Full Version : Keep new Mavic K-Elites or sell to purchase Mike Garcia Wheels?

Wayne77
03-20-2005, 10:25 AM
I am getting a free pair of 2005 silver Mavic K-Elites with my Serotta frame. It looks like I could sell these for around $400 on ebay. I can get a pair of DT RR1.1 rims laced to Speedcific hubs from Mike Garcia for around $350-$400. Should I hold onto the K-Elites or sell them for the Mike Garcia Wheels. If I had to pay full retail ($549) for the Mavics I know it would be a no-brainer, but since I am getting them for free their value to me is essentially the $400 opportunity cost of selling them. What do you think? (I weigh 175, don't do any crits, want something somewhat stiff, but not overly harsh. I'm not too concerned about getting stranded if I break a spoke on a low-spoke wheel since I have a pair of OP's for distance rides)

Also, does anyone here have experience with Speedcific hubs?

Thanks!

Serotta PETE
03-20-2005, 06:53 PM
I have rideen both and there is nothing wrong with either pair.

If retail is $549 for the Mavic, it might be difficult to clear $400 after all expenses are paid for shipping and e-bay. O

ne way of doing it would be put them up for sale and if they sale then get the DTs.

Can you get a credit from the dealer and not take delivery of MAVICs?

Good luck it whatever you decide to do. Pete

IXXI
03-20-2005, 08:55 PM
hey wayne, i weigh in the same as you do-- and have experience with both K Elites and Mike Garcia wheels (DT 1.1 rims and 240s hubs, not Speedcific's). also since you posted your general intended use of them (which also happens to be about the same as my preferences... hmmm...) my rear end votes for the Garcia-built wheels. hands down.

i rode K's for 3 years (2 generations of them) and while i liked them in terms of being stout and strong and cool-looking, i found them to be overly harsh--again, for *my* tastes, which do not involve real racing, but tend toward competitive training and fast rides in general--where the DT wheels give up nothing performance- or durability-wise, and gave me the overall better 'feel' i was after.

these wheels--whether they come from Mike, or Joe Young, or any other decent builder--are wonderful. but ultimately it matters which wheels will feel better on a given frame to you (on a CSi, i might reconsider the K's; but on my stout fina, i couldn't be any happier with the DTs).

it's all about finding the mix you need to achieve the ride you want.

saab2000
03-21-2005, 05:29 AM
My opinion is to keep the Ksyrium Elites. That is based on the experience of a friend who has them who says they are bombproof. I have never ridden either of the two you mentioned.