PDA

View Full Version : Flight Deck Computer

Chief
01-24-2004, 12:26 PM
This has probably been covered in an earlier thread, but my birthday (No. 66) is coming up soon and I am considering a Shimano Flight Deck Wireless Computer for my Ottrott. Who has experience with this Computer and was it good, bad or indifferent? All comments are welcomed. Thanks.

eddief
01-24-2004, 12:39 PM
I just bought some used parts and with them came one of these. I consider myself at least competent with this kind of stuff. And I found it next to impossible to program based on the instructions provided on the Shimano website. For my needs, this is one of the most overengineered pieces of bicycle gear I have ever seen. Give me a 7 function Cateye wireless every time. Just one man's opinion.

Bruce K
01-24-2004, 12:51 PM
I've had great success with the Flight Decks on my Ottrott and Concours as well as the one on my son's Trek.

While a little difficult to program they are not impossible.

They have been pretty reliable.

The new Mavic Wintech has been interesting so far. If you don't care about the gearing information this one works well.

I have also had good luck with the SIgmas with the exception of their cadence wiring which seemd to have an annoying habit of falling off the computer head at inoportune moments.

BK

woolly
01-24-2004, 01:03 PM
I like 'em. Although the programming is just a little more involved than on some other computers, I've not found it to be that cumbersome. I've got both the wired (2) and wireless (1) versions, and have not had a bit of trouble with them. I really like the "virtual cadence", and even had rigged up an extra wireless mount on my fixie at one time that would give me a calculated cadence reading with no wires (it did involve chopping the control wires off the handlebar mount bracket, and required that I pop the computer head into one of my geared bikes to reset it, set it to the proper screen, etc).

In fact, I like the Flite Deck enough that it may help dissuade me from barreling full-speed-ahead with my experiment to use Campy levers w/ my Shimano drivetrains (see my long-winded posts from last weekend, if you truly have nothing, and I mean absolutely NOTHING, else to do). This Campy experiment, BTW, has been temporarily put on hold by the unplanned purchase of a NOS Ibis Ti Mojo frame from my LBS. Bike lust, what a fine, fine thing it is. :D

WRT to the Sigma's that Bruce K mentions, I would strongly suggest staying away from their wireless kits. My experience has been that the Sigma computers themselves are decent, but the wireless kits are absolute garbage.

As always, YMMV.

- Chris

dirtdigger88
01-24-2004, 01:11 PM
I am still not sure on my Flight Deck. I like it most of the time, but I do think it is over engineered for its own good. I could care less about the gear indicator, and I really only use the speed and cadence function for training. I look at the trip and average at the end of the ride. I switched from a Cat Eye Astrale when it went south. I would say I liked my Astrale better. I am building a new bike now, I am the most torn because being able to control the function from the hood is VERY nice I think. To me this is the only reason to buy one. If that feature does not mean much to you, look elsewhere

keno
01-24-2004, 01:12 PM
I've had no trouble with my Flight Deck and just had my new Spectrum wired for it. I'll use the same computer head on each bike, a Concours being the other. I think it's a great piece of equipment. I wish it had an HRM in it and had a download feature.

If your Ottrott is built up with Shimano 9 speed, make sure your shifter are compatible with the wireless. I expect they are, but don't assume, as it seems to me that when I last looked, Shimano has many harness setups and different shifters. You'll have to take the bar tape off in order to wire the harness which runs off the shifters and retape.

If your bike is being built up with 9 speed Shimano, you'll have no big issues. If 10 speed, also last time I looked, about a month ago, wireless Flight Deck wasn't available in the US for 10 speed. It may well be now.

keno

Bradford
01-24-2004, 04:13 PM
I have a flight deck on the tandem, a couple of Astrals, and a Vetta wireless HR with cadence. I bought the flight deck reluctently, but it is my favorite of the three. On a tandem, the gear indicator is great (because you can't see the casette from the front seat), and the virtual cadence works just as well as the real thing. It is also great to control the computer from the hoods on the tandem, where I often want or need to have to hands on the bars.

Other than the HR funtion on my Vetta, I strongly prefer the Flight Deck. I also just zeroed out all my computers for the new year and don't think that it is too difficult to set the Flight Deck.

BumbleBeeDave
01-24-2004, 05:01 PM
. . . I have a wireless flight deck on my Legend, and once you get past the inconvenience of programming it, I think it’s great. I use the gear indicator a great deal and the virtual cadence, and I agree with dd88 that being able to control the computer without taking your hands off the drops or hoods is great.

They really eat batteries, though . . . mine seems to go through a couple per season, and if you forget to change it midwinter (assuming you don’t ride in the winter), and it gives out, you lose all your programming and odo readings and have to program them all again--and while there is an instruction in the owners manual for resetting the odo, it doesn’t seem to work on mine.

The only setup I have seen that offers more info and features is a Polar 720 with the heart monitor, altitude, etc. But both friends of mine who have them have had a lot of trouble with them getting signals properly from the various wireless sensors.

BBDave:beer:

Jay Torborg
01-24-2004, 05:13 PM
It works well enough, but the button on the left brifter is too easy to push accidentally, turning off the trip odo and timer. At least on the campy equivalent, you've got the thumb lever to keep your thumb from sliding down over the button by mistake. I suppose I could cut the wire to this button, but it's near impossible to push the buttons on the back of the computer with gloves on. I much prefer my Polar 720.

Jeff N.
01-24-2004, 07:49 PM
My Flight Deck works marvelously. I have the wireless model on 4 different bikes. No problems whatsoever. The 10-speed version will be available...so I'm told...around March of this tear. Jeff N.

Indy Fab
01-25-2004, 10:43 AM
BBD,

I don't think you should be going through batteries like that. Something's wrong. I bought mine last April and still haven't changed the batteries. You may already know this, but make sure that, when you put your bike away after a ride, the wheel magnet is not aligned with the transmitter. Rotate the wheel so they're far apart. That seems to cure a lot of battery problems for people.

I really like my wireless FD. When I bought my bike, I had the shop install and program it, knowing what a pain that was going to be. It works flawlessly. My one complaint is minor: I wish I could have current speed, odo, gear indicator, AND cadence on the screen -- all at the same time.

Climb01742
01-25-2004, 05:27 PM
new 10 speed flight deck just arrived at my LBS. i like my 9 speed, but i do find it cumbersome to program. drinking heavily while programming it helps.

anybody checkout the new dura-ace wheels? the ride is tuneable. took a pair out for a quick hour spin. pretty neat.

Jeff N.
01-26-2004, 10:40 AM
10-speed flight deck is at your LBS????!!!! Where? Got a phone number??? I want one!!! Please tell me!! Thanks, Jeff N.

Climb01742
01-26-2004, 11:39 AM
jeff,
i hope i haven't gotten your hopes up unfoundedly. my LBS is belmont wheelworks (617.489.3577) and my guy there (thom norton) said he got a 10-speed flight control in about a week ago. not sure whether it was for his use/test, or for general sale. give thom a call. i hope he can help you. it's there. hopefully its for sale. good luck.
climb.

Jeff N.
01-26-2004, 12:50 PM
Called them. No have. No biggie, I can wait. But thanks! Jeff N.

Climb01742
01-26-2004, 01:02 PM
sorry. thinking back, thom did say it was the first one to come in, so maybe it was a demo/test model. just think of the frustration programming it you've saved yourself. again, sorry. :crap: