PDA

View Full Version : Bikes lubes and airline travel

jharsha
03-31-2010, 05:44 PM
What do you seasoned bike travelers do about carrying chain lube, S & S grease etc while traveling? Or do you just hit a LBS at your destination?

Thanks
Jim

Pete Serotta
03-31-2010, 06:01 PM
i pack them in my checked baggage. If in carry on = they will confiscate.

CO2s are not allowed in either type luggage

jharsha
03-31-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks Pete, that's what I figured.

Jim

93legendti
03-31-2010, 07:01 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=66602&highlight=lube

dogdriver
03-31-2010, 07:41 PM
A humble suggestion-- use only liquid containers with screw tops (I use small Nalgene bottles for all of my toiletries) when flying. The cargo compartment, contrary to popular thought, gets exactly the same air and pressurization as the passenger cabin, but changing altitude from sea level to 7000 feet (typical cabin altitude at cruise) can pop flip top bottles and tubes (a-la Pedro's grease). I have checked this for myself-- three ounces of shampoo distributed evenly through a Dop kit is a fragrant, but annoying mess.

My $.02, Chris

572cv
03-31-2010, 09:21 PM
We take our bikes on trips, recently to France. Full agreement on the screw top caps, and then put everything liquid or squishy in clear plastic ziplock bags. This latter saved me from having teflon grease in a plunger (for S&S couplers) all over the place, the plunger having been completely pulled out by pressure or vacuum or whatever. I always bring some nitrile gloves, so there is no crying over spilt grease..... I found Boeshield in a mini container with a screw top- probably good for about two weeks with careful application. I bring that along. Everything fits into the travel S&S bike box in multiple layers of plastic breadbags. Seems to do the job. In France, you can usually find a bike store and buy good chain lube, though, in a pinch.

rustychisel
04-01-2010, 12:42 AM
In France, you can usually find a bike store and buy good chain lube, though, in a pinch.

wow, insane. Who'd of thunk that? :rolleyes:

What Serotta Pete said. Small bottle of Finish Line (screw top) in tool kit in bike case.

jblande
04-01-2010, 04:07 AM
I find that the Phil's lube and grease works quite well in my S&S case, due to the minimal internal pressure on the tube and bottle.

Ray
04-01-2010, 05:41 AM
CO2s are not allowed in either type luggage
I've read that even this is selectively enforced. Are they actually a hazard? Has anyone ever had trouble finding them in France or Italy? My tubeless tires need a shot of CO2 To re-seat after sitting deflated in an S&S case.

-Ray

dumbod
04-01-2010, 06:26 AM
I have read (although don't definitively know) CO2 cartridges pose no actual hazard and I know that I have mistakenly left them in seat bags that have traveled by air so I suspect that the law is only intermittently enforced

HOWEVER

all it takes is one zealous inspector rummaging through the suitcase containing your S&S-coupled bike to really ruin your day. I don't know how it works for you but my bikes go in their cases in exactly one way. What do you think the chances are that the inspector would figure out the proper way to re-pack the bike?

I've bought and left CO2 cartridges in Britain, France, Spain and Italy (in the US, you can ship them home using FedEx ground). Part of the cost of travel.

paczki
04-01-2010, 06:59 AM
Full agreement on the screw top caps, and then put everything liquid or squishy in clear plastic ziplock bags.

Just did this on a trip. Something pierced the Ziplock and the screw top bottle of lube opened. Now all my stuff smells like synthetic banana. If possible buy oil at your destination. :banana: :banana: :banana:

AngryScientist
04-01-2010, 07:18 AM
i have a buddy with an S&S travel bike. he swears by the anti-seize "stick". it pretty much looks like a big glue stick, but its actually anti-seize. throw that in the bike bag and call it good.

as far as lube i'll usually just buy that wherever i'm going since its so cheap, and i dont bother with CO2 unless i'm in a hug hurry, my lezyne road drive pump provides unlimited air, and is a sexy little number i wouldnt leave home without.

rugbysecondrow
04-01-2010, 07:29 AM
I've read that even this is selectively enforced. Are they actually a hazard? Has anyone ever had trouble finding them in France or Italy? My tubeless tires need a shot of CO2 To re-seat after sitting deflated in an S&S case.

-Ray

I bought a small crank brothers pump to travel with for this reason. I am not certain if the Co2 is actually dangerous or not, but I try to avoid hiccups like this.

Cheers,

Paul