PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Evening Project

saab2000
03-19-2005, 06:21 PM
Alrighty then Kids, I just got back from the store with a 6-pack o' Miller High Life (got a spare six of Sammy's Hefe Weizen too, cuz the Miller will probably suck), the first season of South Park and my new Velocity Aerohead offset drilled rim.

I am gonna build me a bada$$ rear wheel tonight!

And eat pop tarts!

I'll be checking in occasionally with updates.

Serotta PETE
03-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Finish building the wheels before you get into the 2nd 6 pack. I am still on the first bottle of red.

Have a great weekend and good luck with the wheels.

PETE

Kevin
03-19-2005, 06:42 PM
I see these wheels having some quality control problems. :beer:

Kevin

pale scotsman
03-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Hey saab-man - I did a wee bit o' beer fueled wrenching last night myself. Wasn't too bad until the record rear hub pawls exploded out when I removed the cassette body. You should have seen me crawling all over the kitchen floor, tools falling out of my pockets, looking for those damn springs and trying not to wake the family.

Good luck and have fun! :beer:

spatz
03-19-2005, 06:57 PM
Would be a good idea to write down before hand what spoke lacing pattern your shooting for... hearing: "OMG... YOU KILLED KENNY!!" repeatedly when combined with brew may lead to some memory hickups*and thus perplexing tensioning issues later on around episode 4. The inevitable poptart "sticky fingers" should help keep the spoke nipples from disappearing between the sofa cushions thankfully. :beer:

spatz :)

slowgoing
03-19-2005, 07:06 PM
I love to hear about commercial airline pilots who can down a half case in a few hours. :) , I think.

saab2000
03-19-2005, 07:21 PM
1. Never trust a pilot who doesn't drink.
2. I have NO intention of drinking both sixes. I drink, but Bostondrunk is the real one here.
3. I was interupted by a phone call, so I am way behind. I am still working on episode 1!

:beer:

Big Dan
03-19-2005, 07:38 PM
saab, I feel your pain.....
just went to the refrigerator and got me a Rolling Rock...............Cheers........... :beer:

saab2000
03-19-2005, 08:36 PM
I am on the 3rd beer. The project is about 2.58 hours old now. The wheel is laced and lookin' good.

The Miller High Life has been put aside and the Sammy's is out. This wheel should once and for all banish the unequal tension which exists on Open Pros. This wheel will make me unstoppable! {insert Vincent Price laughter here}

I am on the 3rd episode of South Park. It rocks. I knew it was one of the high points I missed when living in Europe. I am catching up now!

CNY rider
03-19-2005, 08:39 PM
I'm not totally sure, but I think my favorite episode is from season 1. Something about Eric Cartman, an anal probe, and farting fire. If you've had a couple of pops to drink and that comes on be near the bathroom or run the risk of peeing in your pants! :rolleyes:

saab2000
03-19-2005, 08:59 PM
Season 1, Episode 1.

Awesome!

I am beginning the tensioning phase. Need to concentrate...... Must block out Cartman.......

oracle
03-19-2005, 10:40 PM
did you use the pop-tart goo instead of spoke prep? let me know if you're on to something there...

oracle

p.s. which flavor?

bcm119
03-19-2005, 11:13 PM
Anyone see the John Stoddard (the Give me a Break guy) episode last night about "Lazy Husbands"? One of the specimens was shown going off on a bike ride while his wife stayed home and cleaned the house/took care of the kids. My girlfriend started in with some "thats going to be you!" comments, until I pointed out that I'd never own a Trek...
Anyway, sitting around drinking beer and building wheels, searching for ball bearings on the kitchen floor, etc., reminded me of this. Cheers to these activities, they are what weekends are made of.

saab2000
03-20-2005, 05:47 AM
bcm119,

That is exactly right - that is what weekends are for!

I wanted to clarify what I said about not trusting pilots who don't drink. It is something of sensitive topic in the industry at the moment. Just so nobody takes me too seriously, let me make a couple things clear.

1. The FAA says "8 hours from bottle to throttle".
2. Our company says "10 hours 45 minutes from bottle to throttle".
3. If I get caught drinking and attempting to fly it is not only straight to jail without passing "GO", it is the end of my flying career.
4. I do not fly until Monday at 14:45.
5. My post made it sound like I was going to down 2 6-packs. I did not even come close. I would pass out before I got the second one started. My tolerance is not that high.

Pilots can drink like champs occasionally. Just don't let anyone think that we do it before a flight. Ain't happening. Not the responsible ones at least.

Also, we don't drink in flight either. If we hit turbulence we might spill the drink!!! :D :D :D

PS - I use no spoke prep. Instead I use a medium weight oil. For those who are curious, only Frosted Cherry Pop Tarts enter my home!

cycleman_21
03-20-2005, 06:02 AM
So how are the wheels?
by the way is it harder to figure dish with offset spoke design?
or just different.I want to build a rear wheel for my mnt. bike
(never done it)I am very good at truing,but a wheel build seems
like a good challenge.Plus after bashing it I really need to.
Good luck with the build. :beer:

RC

whoops just saw the other thread,thanks
RC

chrisroph
03-20-2005, 09:49 AM
A military pilot friend once told me the rule was no smoking within 12 hours, no driinking within 100 feet. He was smiling when he recited the rule.

saab2000
03-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Your military pilot friend pretty much got it right!

Pilots have a bit of a swashbuckling mentality because it can be a stressful job. When you do something stressful together it tends to bond. Pilots are a pretty strongly bonded group of people who work hard and play hard. They live between the "respectable" "white-collar" world and the gruff "blue collar" world. Sort of like cops and firefighters I guess. We just have to be careful not to play too hard at the wrong times.

People who don't fly or fight fires or bust dangerous drug rings might not have an appreciation for this. Those who do know exactly what I am talking about.

:beer: