PDA

View Full Version : so a guy walks into a fedex store

eddief
03-30-2010, 10:54 AM
to ship two wheels in two identical separate boxes.

each box weighs 6 pounds.

quote to ship by ground from west to east coast = $85.

protest, protest. why so much? blank stare from desk person.

what if these were in one box? or these two boxes were taped together as one?

warning about danger of taping two boxes together.

yes, but how much to ship them that way?

both boxes taped together shipped as one unit = $33 total.

oh you can use our tape to do that and i am not going to tell you if, or how much i will charge you for the tape until i take your credit card.

tape use = $3.49.

Steve in SLO
03-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Which explains why my last set of wheels arrived as two boxes taped together. Thanks for the info..always food to know the 'loopholes', strange as they may be.

mandasol
03-30-2010, 11:28 AM
I shipped some wheels just a couple weeks ago at a UPS store in separate boxes and it was about $16 bucks a piece with hefty insurance from Altanta to LA.

bzbvh5
03-30-2010, 11:29 AM
One would expect that 1 box by itself would be at most $33 for a total of $66 shipping. And explination as to why it was more than that?

Chris
03-30-2010, 11:38 AM
It's amazing the discrepencies in their charges. Shipped a bike out to Portland and it was about $90.00. Shipped it back in the exact same box, packing, etc. and it was $55.00. Jet stream I guess.

eddief
03-30-2010, 11:47 AM
I shipped a complete long wheel base recumbent from one coast to the other via fedex. i am talking 1 giant box for the frame, and two fairly large ones for wheels and parts.

that entire 3 box shipment went for $180.

maybe she saw me coming today.

DHallerman
03-30-2010, 12:01 PM
A recent FedEx experience shows how unreliable their charges can be.

I brought two identical boxes -- also with wheels -- to a FedEx store for shipment.

And the price they charged me was half of the price I had scoped online.

Nice. But why?

He said two identical boxes going to the same location have the same costs as just one box.

Hmmmm.

Dave, who wonders if rectangular wheel boxes would cost less than those diamond-shaped wheel boxes he has too

JeffS
03-30-2010, 12:03 PM
I shipped some wheels just a couple weeks ago at a UPS store in separate boxes and it was about $16 bucks a piece with hefty insurance from Altanta to LA.

I think they screwed up and undercharged you. Shipping charges are through the roof lately - and even moreso if you walk in a store and pay their surcharges.

What's been pissing me off lately are oversize surcharges. I ship a bike, put in the exact weight and exact dimensions. They give me a price of say... $75. I ship, the box is delivered and a couple weeks later they hit me with an oversize fee of another $60-$70. Happened twice to me with Fedex. I guess I'm going to have to start shipping these things at a shipping desk, off my account, so they can't screw me after the fact.

maximus
03-30-2010, 12:16 PM
I ran into the same problem at the UPS store when shipping a frame. Box was 11 pounds. 100 bucks from VA to TX! No good explanation.

Went home - got a quote through UPS via Paypal and come up with 36 bucks - exact same dimensions/weight and insurance.

Confused, I got another quote from USPS via PayPal and got even a few bucks less! That is after entering dimensions, selecting unique packaging, etc... Decided to take that route as I didn't want to bring it back to the UPS store and deal with a potential hassle. The frame arrived safely in a few days.

Did the same with a set of wheels just yesterday - Insured with delivery confirmation through USPS. 26 bucks.

I don't get it.

Pete Serotta
03-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Wheels from MAVIC and SECURITY come in one box - I guess this is why.

SEABREEZE
03-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Can say,,, one needs to go directly to the depot, and not to the local mail/ship store, as ther prices are always higher... Them being the middle man.

Never ever bring goods to one of these stores, as that when some items turn up not in the box when they arrive. Read many a story about this.

eddief
03-30-2010, 12:35 PM
fedex stores and ups store were under the mother ship and were the same as going to the depot.

dave thompson
03-30-2010, 12:38 PM
The UPS/Mailbox stores always charge more for shipping items if you get the items priced and paid for at that type of store. Essentially they are a shipping 'convenience' store, much like 7/11 or a gas station store. You are paying for the 'convenience' of them being where they are, instead of going to a UPS depot.

93legendti
03-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Open a Fed Ex account, it's free.
You can prepare and print labels and arrange for pickup at home-its cheaper this way, not to mention much more convenient.

dave thompson
03-30-2010, 12:44 PM
If you ship somewhat often, set up an account for yourself directly with FedEx or UPS. You can price and print shipping labels right off "your" account website and then you are using the UPS/Mailbox type stores as merely a drop-off point with no additional charges. There is quite a large difference in the 'convenience' store charges and the 'real' shipping charges, even when using the 'convenience' store for US Postal.

ckamp
03-30-2010, 01:07 PM
On the receiving side of things.

Don't ever choose to receive a package internationally with UPS. I was charged over 50 dollars in brokerage fees for a quill stem. Seriously. To avoid the fee I had to go to the warehouse office and get the forms (between 12-3pm, luckily I work full time across the city) claim the thing myself at customs near the airport, take the paper work back to UPS, mutter some kind words about my experience and get back to work.

Fun times. Quills good though.

johnnymossville
03-30-2010, 01:20 PM
This thread is a great example of why I love this forum. It wasn't my thread but I learned a heck of a lot in the above posts.

John

jpw
03-30-2010, 01:46 PM
What still amazes me is that it is possible to move an object several hundred/ thousand miles without having to take it myself. The prices mentioned are still good value.

DHallerman
03-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Open a Fed Ex account, it's free.
You can prepare and print labels and arrange for pickup at home-its cheaper this way, not to mention much more convenient.

Ah, I have a FedEx account.

But for another shipment recently -- this for a whole bike frame -- the online price quote and the price at the FedEx-owned store (formerly Kinko's) were exactly the same.

So it may not always be cheaper.

Dave, who says waiting around for a pickup is not always convenient either for his life

Peter P.
03-30-2010, 03:38 PM
My experience reflects SEABREEZE'S advice.

I recently returned a new frame to a builder for some corrective work. He paid $55 to ship the frame to me from CA. I shipped it back to him from one of those UPS shipping outlets and paid $105!

I asked the builder how he obtained the cheap pricing and he suggested always going straight to the depot.

SoCalSteve
03-30-2010, 08:36 PM
+10000 for getting your own FedEx account. It saves so much hassle and $$$. Doesn't take that long to set up and once you have it, you'll have it for life.

Then, pack and label at your own home, take to the nearest FedEx depot and just drop off. Your credit card will be charged after the shipment has been delivered.

Best of all, you and the person you ship to will get an email with a tracking number when the package ships and when it arrives.

Just dont forget to get a receipt when you drop off the package.

Good luck and happy shipping!

Steve

that guy
03-30-2010, 10:38 PM
I once shipped a wheelset for $13. Usually it's in the $30-$50 range. I have no idea why this is.

I'm guessing the bored clerk can sometimes have some creative measuring/classifying, sometimes resulting in undercharging.

victoryfactory
03-31-2010, 10:36 AM
to ship two wheels in two identical separate boxes.
each box weighs 6 pounds.
quote to ship by ground from west to east coast = $85.
protest, protest. why so much? blank stare from desk person.
what if these were in one box? or these two boxes were taped together as one?
both boxes taped together shipped as one unit = $33 total.
oh you can use our tape to do that and i am not going to tell you if, or how much i will charge you for the tape until i take your credit card.
tape use = $3.49.

I once shipped a wheelset for $13. Usually it's in the $30-$50 range. I have no idea why this is.

I'm guessing the bored clerk can sometimes have some creative measuring/classifying, sometimes resulting in undercharging.

Eddie and ThatGuy:
Here is what is happening:

Both UPS and FedEx now bill everything by what they call
"Dimensional Weight"
Which is WxLxH divided by 194 (for ground shipments)
so, if a box is 29x29x12 = 10092 / 194 it goes as 52 lbs
even if it weighs 10 lbs (They always go by dim. weight or actual weight,
whichever is higher. Keep youe eye on the clerk. If he gets out his tape
measure, you will be charged dim. weight, if he doesnt measure, he will
charge you just the actual weight cheaper for you and a mistake in your favor)

Then you need to know the oversize rules:
1. Second longest side of a box over 30": $8.00 extra
2. over 130" length + Girth is oversize and ships as 90 lbs no matter what
it weighs and also gets a $45.00 surcharge!!!
This can happen with a full size bike box.

I deal with this stuff every day at work.
You also have to throw in the fact that many workers at Fedex and UPS "stores" don't
actually know the real rules and they make mistakes in both directions.

Bottom line:

UPS and Fedex don't like shipping big boxes so they charge a lot.

The 2 boxes taped together being cheaper than 2 separate boxes happens
a lot at my shop because if each box hits the automatic 90 lb + $45 surcharge
level, and taping two together doesn't go over 166 maximum length + girth
Taping together goes as one 90 lb box and one surcharge!
BTW UPS is hip to this and you are technically not allowed to do it, so tape
it up good to hide the seams between boxes.

Sorry for the long reply, but like I said, this is what I do every day at work.

VF

chuckred
03-31-2010, 11:34 AM
fedex stores and ups store were under the mother ship and were the same as going to the depot.

They were previously Kinko's and Mail Boxes Etc. They made money by marking up their shipping. As others have said, get your own free account, ship on-line, have the pick up scheduled at your front door.

dave thompson
03-31-2010, 11:55 AM
They were previously Kinko's and Mail Boxes Etc. They made money by marking up their shipping. As others have said, get your own free account, ship on-line, have the pick up scheduled at your front door.
According to FedEx, there should be no difference in the price of shipping a box either directly through FedEx dropped at a FedEx staffed depot or shipping same box dropped at a Kinko's. Kinko's is owned by FedEx where the 'UPS Store' is a franchise, contracted to and allowed to use the UPS name and logo, otherwise known as a marketing tool. If you originate a shipment at the 'UPS Store', the charge will be higher than if you originated the same shipment directly through UPS. The 'UPS Store' makes their money acting as a convenience in the shipping transaction with higher charges. Nothing wrong with that, not everyone has the time or wherewithal to run down to UPS to drop off a box.

weisan
08-10-2010, 05:00 PM
I need to ship the cross bike that I just sold. It's been a while since I need to ship a bike. so I am sure things have changed somewhat in the UPS/FedEx world. I am still confused over what constitutes "oversize."
I registered for a FedEx account yesterday and put in these numbers:

To Berkeley, CA 94704
40 Ibs
54 X 28 X 8

I was quoted about $49 for FedEX Ground, which is not too bad.
I was going to print out the shipping label and have FedEx come and pick up from my home.

I am worried about incurring "oversize" charges after pickup like someone had said on this thread.

Is that a legitimate concern or can I count on the price I was quoted on the FedEx online shipping program?

dave thompson
08-10-2010, 05:25 PM
I need to ship the cross bike that I just sold. It's been a while since I need to ship a bike. so I am sure things have changed somewhat in the UPS/FedEx world. I am still confused over what constitutes "oversize."
I registered for a FedEx account yesterday and put in these numbers:

To Berkeley, CA 94704
40 Ibs
54 X 28 X 8

I was quoted about $49 for FedEX Ground, which is not too bad.
I was going to print out the shipping label and have FedEx come and pick up from my home.

I am worried about incurring "oversize" charges after pickup like someone had said on this thread.

Is that a legitimate concern or can I count on the price I was quoted on the FedEx online shipping program?
That sounds like an accurate quote for your sized box. There should be no additional charges unless you made an error regarding the dimensions.

I always print and use the shipping label when using FedEx but I also take the box to FedEx or Kinkos for drop off so I don't know if there are any additional charges for home pick up or not.

davidlee
08-10-2010, 05:50 PM
I think they screwed up and undercharged you. Shipping charges are through the roof lately - and even moreso if you walk in a store and pay their surcharges.

What's been pissing me off lately are oversize surcharges. I ship a bike, put in the exact weight and exact dimensions. They give me a price of say... $75. I ship, the box is delivered and a couple weeks later they hit me with an oversize fee of another $60-$70. Happened twice to me with Fedex. I guess I'm going to have to start shipping these things at a shipping desk, off my account, so they can't screw me after the fact.

THey have done this to me twice.. Both times I called and they refunded the difference immediately.. I posted something about this a while back. Once the lady told me that my bike was read by a scanner on a conveyer belt and there was another box up against it, hence the overcharge on sizing.. Go figure.
d

SEABREEZE
08-10-2010, 06:02 PM
One time I received a set of custom built wheels, in one box, but not as you would normally build a box.

They used a box that was proper height for wheels, but not made into box but as it comes folded. proper hard styrofoam, to keep things from hittIng one another.

Used portions of another cut up box to seal bottom and top...

Ken Robb
08-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Leslie and I were going to ship a box of sheet music she got at her convention from the Marriott where it was held. The Fed-Ex shop in the hotel wanted $25 "handling fee" on top of the actual shipping charges. We mailed it USPS for $10!!!

Ken Robb
08-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Eddie and ThatGuy:

Sorry for the long reply, but like I said, this is what I do every day at work.

VF
Oh jeez! When do you get to retire?? :crap:

cp43
08-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Leslie and I were going to ship a box of sheet music she got at her convention from the Marriott where it was held. The Fed-Ex shop in the hotel wanted $25 "handling fee" on top of the actual shipping charges. We mailed it USPS for $10!!!

If it's paper/books/CDs you can ship it with USPS as "Media Mail" at reduced rate. Just tell them when you drop it off, and they stamp it as such.

Chris

weisan
08-10-2010, 07:51 PM
That sounds like an accurate quote for your sized box. There should be no additional charges unless you made an error regarding the dimensions.

I always print and use the shipping label when using FedEx but I also take the box to FedEx or Kinkos for drop off so I don't know if there are any additional charges for home pick up or not.

great, that makes me feel better, thanks Dave-pal!

I just came in from the basement...took me 2.5 hours to pack, man, I am slow... and I dare wager that it's not even 1/2 as good as Dave's packin' or Frank's!!!! :rolleyes:

Ken Robb
08-10-2010, 08:07 PM
If it's paper/books/CDs you can ship it with USPS as "Media Mail" at reduced rate. Just tell them when you drop it off, and they stamp it as such.

Chris

we know and use that often. we were willing to pay a bit more for convenience but this was too much.