PDA

View Full Version : Need help - Bike Suggestions for a BIG guy?

Clydesdale
03-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Hey all. Recently re-connected with a college wrestling team-mate who was big then as a heavyweight but very big now. He has to be pushing 400lbs and after some expected health struggles the docs have told him basically "make a choice... lose some weight or else." He's trying some walking, light cardio etc.

Anyway - thinking of trying to get him out on the road for something a little easier on his joints. I'm large for a cyclist, but his size has me guessing at the best set-up. I'm thinking MTB, probably steel, and nothing fancy.

Any thoughts on spec-ing such a machine? He's several inches under 6' so a smaller frame should be workable and other than a good solid seatpost and wheels - anything else I should pay attention to? Not sure what to try for a saddle.

We used to work out together daily in back then, so I would like to help him succeed and I think he would enjoy riding. Any wisdom is appreciated.

Smiley
03-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Get him on a Hybrid bike and as he loses weight his body will change and he can go to a different type of bike, don't spend much money just get him on a bike pedalling to lose weight.

spiderman
03-30-2010, 10:06 AM
and my wife would love to see it moved out of the garage...
...20" purple puglsey 1x8...
i'll just leave it on the front step or the foyer!

the other option i have to offer our mutual friend
would be a 55cm toptube tmax
that would be a nice fit, it think!

you could ride the pug and he could ride the tmax...
...i'd like to see that combo on the road to the hogsback!

echelon_john
03-30-2010, 10:09 AM
- 26" wheels will hold up better than 700c. big mtb tires for high air volume=flat resistant & comfortable. no speed records here.

- comfortable seat. start with the biggest baddest gellest you can get. the idea is to minimize the physical pain so he can get to the enjoyment/remembering what fitness feels like, even in small doses, sooner

- bars that can be positioned comfortably for now, then lowered/moved further away as he gains fitness & gets some core strength back

- if he's riding on the road he PROBABLY won't have too much problem with bending seatposts, but obviously cheap aluminum would be the choice over carbon

- make sure the pedals are decent; no plastic cages. a few different folks make large platform pedals that would be good.

- start with a lower seat than a fit cyclist would. if the lemond method says .883, go with something like inseam * .865/.870

- you could do a lot worse than a surly mtb.

hope these help--it takes enormous courage to make changes like this. the stakes are high and there can be lots of emotional/mental components to deal with. all my best to your friend---1 mile at a time!

john

ps--you might want to look at scott cutshall's blog 'largefellaonabike'; (http://istanbultea.typepad.com/) scott lost 330lbs through riding and diet modification between 2005 and 2009. he's not writing on that blog anymore, but could probably be contacted if your friend needs support. maybe someone here has contact information for him, or you could probably find an email address on the blog.

Lifelover
03-30-2010, 11:01 AM
26" MTB with slicks or Semi slicks is the way to go. Any brand name MTB in the $500 - $600 dollar range would be fine. The lower end MTB often offer a more upright position.

If you really want to get him going on the cheap. Look for an older brand name MTB with a rigid fork. The shock fork on the cheap bikes won't fail him but they really don't offer anything anyway.

Cushy seat and fat tires at 50-60 PSI.

Screw alll the BS cycling clothes as well. Street clothes with platform pedals are all he needs.

Do not let him ride on true knobbies. The resistance on pavement will really be a downer.

I wish him luck.

dekindy
03-30-2010, 11:13 AM
Unless walking is too hard on his joints I would recommend that over cycling for someone his size wanting to start getting healthy and lose weight.

rugbysecondrow
03-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Screw alll the BS cycling clothes as well. Street clothes with platform pedals are all he needs.

k.

No cotton undies though or he won't be riding long.

Lifelover
03-30-2010, 12:23 PM
No cotton undies though or he won't be riding long.

Why? I've done 50+ miles in jeans and tighy whities with no problem.

I suspect we are all different, but I have found that cycling clothes are over rated.

Ken Robb
03-30-2010, 12:30 PM
I don't think any stock suspension fork is going to work for a 400lb. rider. An old steel rigid mtn. bike like my Bridgestone MB3 from 1989 or a Stumpjumper from that era will be pretty tough to break.

rugbysecondrow
03-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Why? I've done 50+ miles in jeans and tighy whities with no problem.

I suspect we are all different, but I have found that cycling clothes are over rated.

I am not anti cotton undies, but I do beleive in the proper gear for the proper sport. Cotton Undies are notorious for chaeffing, rubbing, moisture etc etc etc. I obviously can't speak for how they work for you, but I would not recommend them to anybody new who will be riding for more than 15 minutes at a time. Nothing worse than being 7 miles from home, reallizing you have had a "Rubbing Issue" and having to bike back...uncomfortable doesn't describe it.

paczki
03-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Contact Bob Brown who made the bike for the Large Fella on a Bike:

http://www.bobbrowncycles.com/

(He's also a very nice guy, rides Leadville on a tandem, and is one of the best frame builders in the world)

Louis
03-30-2010, 01:18 PM
A while back didn't Grant P at Rivendell design and have built a bike for reallly heavy folks? You might want to send him an e-mail.

harlond
03-30-2010, 03:18 PM
A while back didn't Grant P at Rivendell design and have built a bike for reallly heavy folks? You might want to send him an e-mail.I think Co-motion made it:

http://www.co-motion.com/single_bikes/mazama.html

Louis
03-30-2010, 06:36 PM
I think Co-motion made it:

http://www.co-motion.com/single_bikes/mazama.html

That's it.

charliedid
03-30-2010, 06:37 PM
How bout this?

http://worksman.com/

We set a couple up in the same situation a few years ago.

03-30-2010, 08:39 PM
2004 I was challenged to a triathlon by my sister- I started training on my mountain bike iron horse alum suspension fork on slicks- did 1/2 a season on it then bought a Giant tcr alum-and did my first 1/2 ironman at 330 LBS

My first ironman was at 220 on a serotta- 2nd a guru- 3rd a look and now prepping for my 4th on the serotta.

I say buy a decent used alum road bike with some open pro wheels and start riding. I was 400lbs or very close when I started riding the tcr with no ill effects.

jlwdm
03-31-2010, 01:20 PM

Nice job on the weight and getting in shape.

Jeff