PDA

View Full Version : campy non-ergo brake lever return spring

dookie
03-30-2010, 07:29 AM
picked up a set of the non-shifter record brake levers a while back, intended for the fixed gear. finally found the bars i was looking for and went to do the swap and realized that there is no return spring on the brake levers.

there wasn't ever, was there?
is there a way to retrofit?
i realize i can remove the unused lever blade, but that really messes with the aesthetic. other 'no rattle' suggestions?

thx.

oldpotatoe
03-30-2010, 07:36 AM
picked up a set of the non-shifter record brake levers a while back, intended for the fixed gear. finally found the bars i was looking for and went to do the swap and realized that there is no return spring on the brake levers.

there wasn't ever, was there?
is there a way to retrofit?
i realize i can remove the unused lever blade, but that really messes with the aesthetic. other 'no rattle' suggestions?

thx.

Depends on the era of the lever. Early 'banana cutter' type didn't nor did any into the C-Record era until the last generation of brake lever, just before the carbon one, actually did have a return spring. Carbon ones do not, rely on the caliper to open the lever.

You can fashion a cable remnant, into the lever, holding it 'open' and secure the end of the cable at the very top of the lever, inside the hood.

dookie
03-30-2010, 01:21 PM
these are the last-gen round top carbons...

like this... (http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=L0008)

dookie
04-17-2010, 08:33 PM
for the record...

(yes, pun intended)

i pilfered some return springs from the tektro clones of these levers. drop right in to the genuine article. sweet!