PDA

View Full Version : Photographers are WORST videographers

vqdriver
03-30-2010, 01:30 AM
My sister in law who is quite a talented photographer was entrusted to video my kids Easter egg hunt. We figured she'd have a great eye for, you know, moments.

We were freaking wrong. Worst unwatchable zoomy shaky crap in the world. More like the hurt locker or transformers. This isn't disposable digital shots where you get to pick the good ones after the fact. Once you toss out the crappy clips you've tossed out those moments-forever.

Steady pans with spare use of the zoom wins the game here. You need context or that kid rummaging in the corner looks like she's hunting for cans.

Just a heads up/rant I guess
just beware next time you hand it over to the guy "who takes good pictures"

avalonracing
03-30-2010, 07:28 AM
Man, you take your Easter Egg Hunts seriously. Next time hire Speilberg.

Ozz
03-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Easter is not until this coming Sunday....maybe she thought it was rehearsal? ;)

vqdriver
03-30-2010, 12:05 PM
yes easter egg hunts are big time ;)

we had something like 20 kids and their families take over our backyard and good times were had by all. the weather was great and the food (pot luck) was good. it was just one of those times my wife and i wanted to show our boys when they're older cuz it was so much fun. and only one 'accident.'

people have plans on easter sunday so we do the friendly egg hunt the week before.

Kevan
03-30-2010, 01:06 PM
I don't. Bad enough that taking stills takes mountains of practice to do proper. I figure video claims the same requirement.

vqdriver
03-30-2010, 01:20 PM
stills does take tons of practice to get the exposure you envision, but video, especially home video, is actually pretty simple. in fact, the less you do, the better, for my needs anyway. no need to overthink things. just point at what you want to film and let the camera do the work.

i think the big difference is the thinking behind it. when shooting almost anything but sports, you can take multiple exposures and pick the best ones.. you don't get that option with video. sure, there's editing, but you gotta have something to edit.