PDA

View Full Version : Wrench questions: Starnut v Compression Plug

CHF
03-29-2010, 04:40 PM
First off, I hate the star nut. It is a vile device and is the only thing on a bike that isn't an elegant solution to a problem.

Now to my issue: I have a new frame and the fork has an alloy steerer. After pounding in the star nut so that I can ride the bike, I have no desire to pound it in another two inches when I am ready to trim it to it's final length.

So can I use a compression plug in an alloy steerer? It's so much easier to deal with and I really, REALLY don't like using a hammer anywhere near my bike.

Thanks.

Peter P.
03-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Sure you can. You just need to find a compression plug that won't slip once inserted into the steerer. Any compression plug that meets this requirement and is currently offered with a carbon fork should suffice.

RPS
03-30-2010, 08:58 AM
After pounding in the star nut so that I can ride the bike, I have no desire to pound it in another two inches when I am ready to trim it to it's final length.
I hate to read between the lines, but I'll ask the question anyway -- I don't mean to offend you in any way by asking.

A star nut shouldn't require "pounding" it in (not sure what you mean by pounding versus tapping it in). Is there any chance you installed the wrong size? And although much less likely (depending on how you drove it in) is there any chance it rotated backwards inside the steerer tube? The nut should go in the correct direction fairly easily if it is of the correct size, and lock in so that it doesn't slip back out. Excessive force suggests something may be wrong.

TAW
03-30-2010, 09:31 AM
I hate to read between the lines, but I'll ask the question anyway -- I don't mean to offend you in any way by asking.

A star nut shouldn't require "pounding" it in (not sure what you mean by pounding versus tapping it in). Is there any chance you installed the wrong size? And although much less likely (depending on how you drove it in) is there any chance it rotated backwards inside the steerer tube? The nut should go in the correct direction fairly easily if it is of the correct size, and lock in so that it doesn't slip back out. Excessive force suggests something may be wrong.

That's a good point. If you decide to use a compression plug, you will have to push the star nut down even further, since they don't normally come out once you put them in.

Marcusaurelius
03-30-2010, 11:54 AM
It can be a little tricky to remove the old star nut if you decide to do so. I did it once by bending the tabs on the star nut and then it comes out fairly easy.

CHF
03-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Hmmm. Makes me think maybe I got hosed on the starnut. It's one of the double starnuts and it did not like going in at all. It definitely wasn't just tapping on it in order to put it in.

The starnut is easy enough to remove later. I left quite a bit of steerer on the fork so I'm planning to just cut off the section with the star nut in it.

Volant
03-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Although heavier, you could use a Headlock. It's basically a longer top cap bolt that threads into a mating end that runs the entire length of the steerer:
http://www.amazon.com/AZONIC-Azonic-Headlock-System/dp/B002XGP0ZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1269971015&sr=8-1

Alpha Q makes an insert that you can epoxy in as well.

RPS
03-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Hmmm. Makes me think maybe I got hosed on the starnut. It's one of the double starnuts and it did not like going in at all. It definitely wasn't just tapping on it in order to put it in.

As I understand it, star nuts come in slightly different diameters to be used with different forks. Steel steerers are often thinner and therefore use a slightly larger diameter nut. Alloy steerers like yours normally have thicker walls, which means the inside diameter is a little smaller than that of a steel steerer, hence may require a smaller diameter star nut to keep it from being too tight.

Below is a general idea of things to consider.
- Replacement star fangled nut for use inside fork steerer tubes to allow pre-load of headset bearings.
- Standard M6 x 1.0 thread.
- Available in three sizes: Large (26mm diameter), Medium (23.5mm diameter) and Small (20.8mm diameter).
- To check which size you need, measure the internal diameter of your steerer and choose a star nut that's 1-3mm larger than that size.
- Large generally fit 1 1/8" steel steerers, Medium 1 1/8" standard alloy steerers and Small are for use in oversized Echo 1 1/8" alloy steerers.