PDA

View Full Version : Riding with spring allergies

ckamp
03-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Do you find it affects your riding significantly?

For some people it does.
http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/100329_contador_allergie
"I suffered from pollen" "It was difficult," said Contador. "The wind was head on, I saw a considerable drop. I could not breathe and went at my own pace."

I might keep a claritin in my jandd...

pbbob
03-29-2010, 11:21 AM
flonase until the tree pollin count goes down. riding isn't impacted.

tiretrax
03-29-2010, 12:45 PM
didin't see any snot dripping from his nose during the CI. perhaps if he drained some mucus from his brain cavity he could think more strategically.

toasttoast
03-29-2010, 12:47 PM
breathing is never really a problem, but at one point last summer i had to pull over when my eyes were swollen to be 90% shut :) crawled into the nearest town and grabbed eye drops, and was able to make it the last 40 miles squinting...

eddief
03-29-2010, 01:35 PM
seems to work good for most of the season.

dekindy
03-29-2010, 01:44 PM
seems to work good for most of the season.

Equate Allergy Relief(Loratadine is the ingredient needed) and Sinus Rinse every morning and Flonase occasionally, usually only briefly in the Spring and Fall and if I feel a cold coming on.

I got allergy tested and found that I was allergic to mold and dust mites and have been taking allergy injections that seem to have helped.

I also went all out and got my crooked nose (deviated septum) fixed and it has helped also. Initially it was sensitive and I felt like my nostrils were super charged. My ears are clearer and sense of smell is better which also improved my sense of taste.

I wish that I had not waited until I was almost 50 to have these things done. However it got progressively worse to the point that I thought it was eventually going to be debilitating so something had to be done. No more sinus and ear infections and colds are almost nonexistent and when I do get one both the duration and severity are about half or less than before the daily regime, allergy treatments, and surgery.

ckamp
03-29-2010, 03:47 PM
I have had some eye irritation before forsure, never any lung though.

My team sprinted away from me the other day and I could not catch up. I blamed it on a flu recovery.... Next time they get away I now can pull a contador and bring up a the allergy story.

Seriously, if your having a slow day, your having a slow day..

goblue
03-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Seriously; allergies can affect breathing big time and this truly has a major negative impact on cycling performance. Really. It is true.