PDA

View Full Version : Campy cassette question

norcalbiker
03-28-2010, 10:02 AM
I have a compact with mid cage rear der. running 25 cassette. Can I fit a 29 on this system? This is 10 speed.

Steve in SLO
03-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Yes you can, but you may need a longer chain.

norcalbiker
03-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Yes you can, but you may need a longer chain.

Thank you! I just wanted to make sure first. I'm thinking of making my look585 as my climbing bike. Now all I need is to find me a 29 :)

pauly
03-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Exactly as you described. Swapped an existing 25 cassette for a Chorus 29 cassette with an existing medium Centaur rear derailleur. My bike has a Centaur compact double crankset. Works perfectly and (so far) I need no chain mods.

Dave
03-28-2010, 10:53 AM
If the chain length was set by the big/big method that suggests the shortest possible chain, then most likely a new chain will be needed, that's 1-inch longer.

The little/little method would have suggested the longer length to start with.

pauly
03-28-2010, 11:40 AM
As I remember, I used the little/little method in my initial set-up.

rdparadise
03-28-2010, 12:19 PM
If the chain length was set by the big/big method that suggests the shortest possible chain, then most likely a new chain will be needed, that's 1-inch longer.

The little/little method would have suggested the longer length to start with.

I'm not familiar with these methods. Can one of you guys explain?

Thanks,

Bob

Dave
03-28-2010, 04:18 PM
The big/big method wraps the chain wround the big chainring and largest cog, bypassing the RD. Bring the ends together and add 2 links (1 inch) if the ends that come together can be joined (inner plates and outer plates). If the ends don't match, then add 3 links - that's the part that most instructions ignore.

The little/little method routes the chain through the RD, as normal. Run the chain around the little chainring and smallest cog and bring the ends together. The chain should be as long as possible, but not so long that it hangs loose or rubs on the RD cage - that's too long.