PDA

View Full Version : Unlocking an iPhone

weaponsgrade
03-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Can anyone give some guidance on doing this? I want to be able to pop in my T-Mobile sim, continue to use the iPhone for voice-only with my T-Mobile voice plan, and install Skype for use in a Wifi area.

dannyg1
03-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Pick the 5 star ratings:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=unlocking+iphone&search_type=&aq=f

weaponsgrade
03-28-2010, 12:24 AM
Ok, so it seems the unlocking part isn't really a problem. The problem is how to get an iPhone without having to get a data contract too. I think you can buy an iPhone w/o contract, but then instead of the phone costing $200, it's much much more.

I suppose it doesn't need to be an iPhone. Just any kind of phone where I can run Skype in a Wi-fi area (and not get charged for minutes) and then when I'm outside a Wi-fi area, just have voice-only from my carrier (e.g., t-mobile). Would something like the Nokia 5530 work for this? Would I be able to just pop in my sim card, continue getting my voice-only service, and then when I'm in a Wi-fi area use Skype w/o burning my minutes?

dannyg1
03-28-2010, 04:41 AM
Why not just use a headset and a netbook?

Ray
03-28-2010, 04:55 AM
An iphone without a data plan is like Ozzie without Harriet. What's the point? If all you're trying to do is come up with the least expensive way to have unlimited talking, there are a lot of single user plans out there with unlimited minutes that are getting pretty inexpensive. And you can get a basic phone for nothing when you sign up for those plans. Not sure why you'd go to all the trouble to hack a smart phone to only do ONE smart thing when you can achieve the same goals much more easily. Unless you spend a lot of time in areas with wi-fi and no cell signal. As Danny mentioned, why not just a cheap cell phone for when you have a signal and no wifi and any kind of really cheap computer and a headset for when you don't?

-Ray

csm
03-28-2010, 09:03 AM
I have tmobile and really wanted an iphone but didn't want to pay the difference between at&t and tmobile for a data plan and everything else.
I went with a motorola cliq. I actually like it better than the iphone.

SEABREEZE
03-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Speaking of cheap unlimited service,,, you cant beat metro pc, seems to be very popular in my area. You can even connect to the web with it.
Every thing included one low price. When compared to the big boys.

tylercheung
03-28-2010, 10:23 AM
part of the problem is the crappy networks in the us. AT&T is the only one with really usable 3G and Verizon runs CDMA. Unlike other countries where networks are more standardized and unlocking it makes more sense. at least there is the satisfaction of not getting locked into a 2 yr contract...

I know in HK you can buy an officially unlocked one but it runs $800 USD or something like that.

jbrainin
03-28-2010, 11:49 AM
This Macrumors article might interest you:
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/23/apple-once-again-selling-contract-free-iphones-in-u-s/

Kirk007
03-28-2010, 04:56 PM
ipods work with wifi and skype. Yeah it's two devices but...