PDA

View Full Version : Will this kill off the fad?

gdw
03-27-2010, 09:16 AM
Walmart is selling fixed gear bikes! http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=13398142

bicycletricycle
03-27-2010, 09:33 AM
almost unbelievable, i think i may see a class action lawsuit in walmarts future.

Ahneida Ride
03-27-2010, 09:41 AM
* Aluminum frame with rigid fork

Wow .... a rigid fork !!!!

* Lightweight and responsive ride

only 35 pounds !

* Single speed

the speed was never married ....

* Front and rear caliper brakes ensure precise stops

I bet they work like a dream ! ( a wet one )

* High-profile colored rims add urban style

urban style !!!!!! not country style ????

* Assembly required

they left out the some and batteries not included

RPS
03-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Since they describe it as "fixed-speed" and "single-speed gearing", I wonder if it is not a single speed instead of fixed. I have a hard time believing Walmart would sell fixed bikes to "average" riders.

Lifelover
03-27-2010, 10:08 AM
It looks like a web only deal.

maximus
03-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Me thinks its NJS certified. ;)

Fads are things that fade over time - I don't see fixed gear as a fad. Just like BMX, or Mountain, or Road - I see "Fixed/Track" as just another extension of the thing we all love to do (one that has gotten really popular). Whatever you call it, it's a blast to ride if you are into it.

Though, I agree, I am thinking this is a single speed and WalMart would have lots of road-rashed, lawsuit wielding customers if not....

avalonracing
03-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Long live fixed gear bikes... And Razor Scooters.

rdparadise
03-28-2010, 12:24 PM
This has to be single speed IMHO because it has both front and rear brakes. See the questions below, not a one answered.

Mongoose is everywhere.

Bob

AndrewS
03-28-2010, 01:25 PM
From the looks of the bike, that appears to be a good deal for a simple aluminum framed commuter. The LBS version would probably be $350.

toasttoast
03-28-2010, 02:04 PM
i am moderately impressed that the bike has three-piece cranks.

now, i bet there's no grease used anywhere on the bike, and all the threads are about as strong as cottage cheese, but still.

WadePatton
03-28-2010, 08:37 PM
as i never shop there, go to their website, or even spit in that general direction...i'm glad somebody brought this to my attention.

all dept store blo's become "singlespeed" after just a few months out in the rain...now those folks don't have to bother with carrying all that useless cabling and sundries around long after it becomes useless.

this way they _know_ what gear they'll be stuck in.

case in point. saw a skinny man pushing an un-laden blo up a long 5% hill the other day. tires were up too. all i can figure is that the shifters didn't work.

hey, does snobbie know about this?

cheaper than a titanium chainring...whattadeal! :banana:

johnnymossville
03-29-2010, 07:42 AM
I'm gonna go take a look at this. I'm looking for a real beater for commuting on.

Kish Fabrication
03-29-2010, 11:54 AM
I believe some of the low price can be attributed to the fact that apparently only the right side crank/pedal is provided.

steelrider
03-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Saw a huge '70s Detroit tuna boat the other day with a great bumpersticker: ONE LESS FIXIE

gasman
03-29-2010, 06:59 PM
This guy had a great review :

Rate and review this product

By an anonymous customer, San Francisco, CA
Recommends this product? Yes
Has owned product for: 2 - 7 weeks
Uses product: Every few days

Wow!, 03/26/2010
I've never hit so many pedestrians and cars in my life! I removed the front and rear brakes so I could be as cool as the older kids and it made a phenomenal difference. I could no longer control or stop the bike but the girls were like woah, who's that guy they're prying off the grill of that bus, he's like totally hot. oh my god.

avalonracing
03-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Love it. It should be a jersey.

Saw a huge '70s Detroit tuna boat the other day with a great bumpersticker: ONE LESS FIXIE

Benjamin
03-30-2010, 03:04 PM
if it gets one more person onto a bike, then great.

i know a lot of people who started off riding fixed, and have since moved on to road, cross, or touring bikes (though most still ride fixed quite a bit!).

buck-50
03-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Honestly, it's pretty close to the perfect cheap bike.

It's got no attempts at suspension or index shifting, it's got what appear to be repairable AND replaceable parts and there's very little to screw up.

Yeah, it's heavy. It costs $150. what do you expect?

But every one of these that sells is one less faux-mountainbike sold by the same store. And it looks to be somewhat more functional than any number of cheap cruisers.

We can all make fun of it because some of us spend $150 on bar tape, but what would you rather see- a wall-mart full of simple bikes like this, or a wall-mart full of overly complicated breakage-prone suspension bikes?

This thing is a step in the right direction.