PDA

View Full Version : First Triathalon(sprint) - Aero Question

hookookadoo
03-27-2010, 06:47 AM
Doing my first sprint tri tomorrow-250yd swim, 20k bike and 5k run. I'm really not where I'd like to be from a training standpoint but oh well.

Right now I have a -2cm saddle to bar drop. I have a quill stem so I can reduce this to a -8cm drop(maybe more) or something in between. For a 20k(12 mile ride) any thoughts on how much aero/time benefit I will get from lowering it to say -7cm? I'm not flexible hence the -2cm drop but know I could withstand a 12 mile ride with it lower. Lastly, I could test a bigger drop a little bit today but wondering if this would be considered a stupid last minute change before the race.

stephenmarklay
03-27-2010, 07:05 AM
I did a 20k Time Trail for the first time a few weeks ago. It was the first time on aero bars. I had the shop set me up a bit. If I were you, not flexible, I would not drop the bar. Aero is a big deal but not if you cannot pedal without being comfortable. Also, dropping the bar in a "normal" road position is one thing but in an Aero position you are really going to stress you lower back if the hamstrings are too tight.

I would leave it and work on flexibility for the next race. I am doing another TT next weekend and I have dropped and flipped by stem since the last. I am no lower but then my hamstrings are very bending. Daily yoga has helped.

Climb01742
03-27-2010, 07:21 AM
i did tri's for a lot of years, and my two cents about your situation is this: ride in the most comfortable position, the one your body is most used to. your biggest challenge will be transitioning your body between the disciplines (getting your body to shift gears, as it were.) doing that while also asking your body to adjust to a new position is asking a lot and could lead to an injury. good luck and have fun.

FlaRider
03-27-2010, 09:02 AM
i did tri's for a lot of years, and my two cents about your situation is this: ride in the most comfortable position, the one your body is most used to. your biggest challenge will be transitioning your body between the disciplines (getting your body to shift gears, as it were.) doing that while also asking your body to adjust to a new position is asking a lot and could lead to an injury. good luck and have fun.

+1 I have been racing triathlons for years. Don't mess with your bike position, especially for your first race. Just go out there and have fun. Don't worry about your time.

Arnabio
03-27-2010, 09:42 AM
I've done lots of tris at an elite level. You have to have a balance between aero and power output. Often, the most aero position (or bigger drop) results in a greater loss of power from the position than the benefit from the reduced drag.

Also, an aero helmet has been shown to reduce drag more than aero wheels and an aero frame combined. If you don't have one, it might be a more important thing than putting yourself in an uncomfortable position. Sperm are fast.

rugbysecondrow
03-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Doing my first sprint tri tomorrow-250yd swim, 20k bike and 5k run. I'm really not where I'd like to be from a training standpoint but oh well.

Right now I have a -2cm saddle to bar drop. I have a quill stem so I can reduce this to a -8cm drop(maybe more) or something in between. For a 20k(12 mile ride) any thoughts on how much aero/time benefit I will get from lowering it to say -7cm? I'm not flexible hence the -2cm drop but know I could withstand a 12 mile ride with it lower. Lastly, I could test a bigger drop a little bit today but wondering if this would be considered a stupid last minute change before the race.

No last minute changes.

The ride is one thing, but how your body responds to the bike/run combo is something else.

best of luck, triathlons are a great time.

hookookadoo
03-27-2010, 01:23 PM
I see a clear trend emerging. Seat stays. Thanks guys.

(love this forum)

Onno
03-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Keeping it as is also gives you a benchmark time for any future adjustments you make! In any case, if you do modify your bike, be sure to ride it several times in the new position before the race!

Some other thoughts: You can add aero bars without dropping the height. This will still give you some aero advantage. You can also push the saddle all the way forward. I have a Thompson Elite 'bent' seat post, which I reverse to get my saddle even further forward. You have to raise the height of the saddle a centimeter or two when you do this, so that plus aero bars can get you into more of a TT position. Again, though, be sure to try this position out on several rides (a few easy ones, then a few in which you try to push it) before trying this set up in a race. For your first SEVERAL races, it makes sense to keep things simple and as familiar as possible. With the swim and transitions, which can be plenty stressful, you don't want other things to worry about!

Good luck.

Onno

paczki
03-27-2010, 04:35 PM
+1 I have been racing triathlons for years. Don't mess with your bike position, especially for your first race. Just go out there and have fun. Don't worry about your time.

It's great having you back on the board.

FlaRider
03-27-2010, 05:28 PM
It's great having you back on the board.

Thanks! Appreciate it.