PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Composites (Poway, CA) Factory Tour

MattTuck
03-27-2010, 01:33 AM
Wanted to let you all in on a great experience I had yesterday at the Serotta Composites facility in sunny SoCal. I’m here with my wife visiting her parents and realized that Serotta’s west coast operation was just up the road. Not that I was TRYING to escape from the in-laws for a few hours, but I figured the chance to see some hot carbon fiber tech could not be missed!

Mike Lopez, who runs Serotta Composites was extremely helpful and showed me around the facility. I was surprised by the amount of work that went into creating the tubes and lugs. Quite impressive really. And the amount of testing and prototyping that goes into the design of their products was extremely eye opening. These guys are really pushing the envelope in terms of integrating the latest technology.

Anyway, wanted to say thanks to Mike, and say that if you get the chance to check out the facility… definitely do it!

Ken Robb
03-27-2010, 04:51 AM
have you been riding while you're here?

victoryfactory
03-27-2010, 05:20 AM
I met Mike at NAHBS and was extremely impressed with
his enthusiasm and knowledge

I hope Serotta continues to thrive in their efforts to
design and manufacture in the USA while the
competition is whipping out carbon bikes by the boatload
in Asia for much less money.
Im not being jingoistic here, I just enjoy seeing
a company buck the mass market trends once in a while

VF

MattTuck
03-27-2010, 11:00 PM
have you been riding while you're here?

Unfortunately, no. This is the first time I've been out here for more than a weekend wedding. Next time, I'll bring (or otherwise procure use of) a bike, and golf clubs. Do some riding, play at Torrey Pines and maybe take another surfing lesson.

Ken Robb
03-28-2010, 09:11 AM
I may know where you could borrow a bike. :)

whforrest
03-28-2010, 09:24 AM
born and raised in san diego.................here's an epic loop for an all day ride.

start in lakeside, go up the through alpine on the side roads next to highway 8, continue to climb into the back country of the san diego mountains. ride into pine valley and cut across to julian (have some apple pie) and ride down into poway (quick factory tour) next follow 67 highway back down to lakeside.

i used to hammer this route when i was a junior rider, you will see some of the great geography of east san diego. traffic in the higher country is nominal (just be careful going down 67)

it's over 100 miles.

I may know where you could borrow a bike. :)