PDA

View Full Version : Campy Brifter Question

pjmsj21
03-26-2010, 02:13 PM
I have a set of Campy Veloce brifters....the 2005 vintage on my Gunnar that I really enjoy how they fit my hand, provide a nice flat surface under your hand along with the fact that the distance between the bar and where your hand stops at the ramp is relatively short in comparison to my Ultegra brifters on my Serotta.

I would like to switch over from the Shimano and I understand that there havee been some changes since the 2005 Veloce's. So aside from trying to find some 05 versions, what years are similar to the 05's in fit?

Thanks

Pat Mc

maunahaole
03-26-2010, 02:49 PM
As far a shape goes, anything from 1998 (iirc) through 2008 will have the same shape on the hood. Inside that range you will run into two different flavors of 9 speed as well as numerous iterations of 10 speed (QS, micron, et.al). 2009 first year on the new shape for centaur and above groups. Somewhere around 2009-2010 veloce went to new shape (ultrashift) in 10 speed. All 10 speed stuff is compatible.

oldpotatoe
03-27-2010, 07:18 AM
I have a set of Campy Veloce brifters....the 2005 vintage on my Gunnar that I really enjoy how they fit my hand, provide a nice flat surface under your hand along with the fact that the distance between the bar and where your hand stops at the ramp is relatively short in comparison to my Ultegra brifters on my Serotta.

I would like to switch over from the Shimano and I understand that there havee been some changes since the 2005 Veloce's. So aside from trying to find some 05 versions, what years are similar to the 05's in fit?

Thanks

Pat Mc

Veloce is essentially unchanged from 2001 thru 2006. 2007/8 Veloce had 'Xenon' shift guts, lost some of the ability to both trim the FD as much as previously and the ability to select more than one higher cog in the back per thumb button push. 2009 Veloce became 'Ultra shift' with new innards and new shape just like all other levers above it. Shift 'feel' was too light so Campagnolo did a running change making them 'clickier' mid 2009. 2010 levers are clickier and have the multi shift of the 2006 older levers and FD trim.

Dave
03-27-2010, 07:34 AM
The 2009 ultrashift brake hood a just a little longer and much more comfortable. I made no changes to my stem length when I switched from the previous Campy shifters to the 2009+ ultrashift levers. The other smart thing to do, if you aren't already, is to use short reach bars.

pjmsj21
03-27-2010, 01:41 PM
The 2009 ultrashift brake hood a just a little longer and much more comfortable. I made no changes to my stem length when I switched from the previous Campy shifters to the 2009+ ultrashift levers. The other smart thing to do, if you aren't already, is to use short reach bars.

Dave it sounds like the 2009 Ultra Shift would be a very good fit then. I do use Ritchey BioMax on both of my bikes and I really like them. Even with short reach bars such as these, I am pretty much on or close to that 43/57 front/rear weight distribution when in the drops.

Dave
03-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Stem length or bar reach has almost no effect on weight balance. Number one is saddle fore/aft position and number two is torso angle. The weight on the front increase as the torso gets lower. The only position to check is with youhands in the hooks and your upper back as low as you'd use in aggressive cornering.