PDA

View Full Version : Headset and BB Lube

M_A_Martin
03-18-2005, 08:44 AM
Ok, Rebuild time and I'm tired of lubes that "creep" out of my headset and collect dust. What have you found that 1. Works well, and 2. Doesn't creep.

Thanks!

Mary Ann

Too Tall
03-18-2005, 08:57 AM
Phil Wood.

chrisroph
03-18-2005, 09:11 AM
Second the Phil. It also maintains its viscosity over time. Many white lithium lubes will lose their lighter fractions over time and assume the consistency and lubricating properties of clay. E.G. campy grease, the worst product campy has ever produced.

zap
03-18-2005, 09:15 AM
Phil Wood too. Use it on the Look Monoblade's roller bearing headset which has minimal seals with great success.

I'm actually using PW on more and more stuff.

sspielman
03-18-2005, 09:44 AM
I notice that alot of the newer sythetic greases tend to seep out just as M-A has indicated. Actually, it is exactly what they are supposed to do. The lubricant is seeking to adhere to surfaces where there currently is none. It is a desireable situation inside the mechanism, but can make a bit of a mess outside. For me, the advantages outweigh the negatives. These new synthetic greases are far superior to the old soap-based/lithium greases of old.

Too Tall
03-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Phil Wood has been around for something like 25 yrs. and I've repacked so many bearings with it and seen stuff come back to me after not seeing them for many years and always the same...grease is intact, still viscous and doing it's job. Heck, I am very much entralled with Rock n' Roll products and have now tried 3 of their lubes all great but I will not switch bearing lubes.

Pure teflon grease used in marine applications is intriguing for limited use because it seals gaps and has tremendous surface tension. Someone here posted a link to this uber lube a while ago and I've tried it as an experiment on a few parts to see what it does. No harm places like water bottle bosses. It's real real sticky.

Nah, Phil is hard to beat for bike bearings.