PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up My Road Bike For Time Trailing - Need Advice

tlarwa
03-26-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm looking for some help with the "best" procedure to set-up my road bike for time trialing. I used to race duathlons, and rode a Softride that was set-up specifically for time trialing. After a hip replacement (at 46!) I could no longer run, so the TT bike was sold. I have no trouble riding ... and have re-committed myself. I'm feeling pretty strong this year, and am looking to get back into some TT racing (triathlon relays and maybe a local TT series). I know I'll end up building another TT-specific machine at some point, but probably not right away. Sorry for the long intro...

Anyway, I ride a Waterford 2200. I have never set-up the road bike for time trialing, and I'm wondering what the best way to go about it is. To be honest, I am/will still be road riding primarily, so I do not want to go away from that type of cockpit set-up. So as far as equipment set-up goes, it probably will only mean adding clip-ons, maybe a forward seat post, or something similarly simple. My real question is how I go about setting up my position ... saddle position, reach, etc. Any suggestions on how to approach this to make the best out of the situation would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

pbbob
03-26-2010, 11:18 AM
I plan to do a couple 25's, a hill climb, a 6 hour tt a 24 tt and the ride across Indiana ride for time. Here is what I will be doing to the bikes I will be using:
Nothing.

did the same thing when I did duathlons.
It was good enough to get 1 age grade prize :banana:

deechee
03-26-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm a little lazy now, but there are tons of articles here (http://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/F.I.S.T._Tri_bike_fit_system/Hip_angle_24.html) on slowtwitch about this.

I also remember on his older site a lot more information about the specific needs of converting road bikes etc. (ie. clip-ons are not all made the same, things like Profile GT jammers or VisionTech's mini TT's are better etc.)

That said, I agree with pbbob that there was a time when I happily raced without clips ons (forearms on bars) and had good times. I didn't like the hack on clip-ons, of messing the seat position. On the other hand, I do love my TT bike now :)

tlarwa
03-26-2010, 11:50 AM
I plan to do a couple 25's, a hill climb, a 6 hour tt a 24 tt and the ride across Indiana ride for time. Here is what I will be doing to the bikes I will be using:
Nothing.

did the same thing when I did duathlons.
It was good enough to get 1 age grade prize :banana:

Hah! That is certainly an option ... and one I may opt for. Throw a set of clip-ons on for a different position, and let it ride!

Where do you live in Columbia? I lived there for 13 years (not far from Dobbin Center, or whatever that area is called now). I left in 1995 ... it's so different now!

regularguy412
03-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Riding my road bike with clip-ons is how I've always done TTs. Never could justify having a completely separate bike for just Road TTs (never did triathlon).

I pretty much just clipped on the bars and used my basic road position. I reasoned that a road bike was designed for the rider's weight to be in a certain place , and not hung out over the front end on the bars. I also figured that my muscle memory was better and more efficient from having ridden so many miles in that normal position.

To follow in a similar vein as a previous poster: It was good enough to garner 3 wins and 4 thirds in ten attempts in the State 40K TT Championships, in my age group (Master's Class).

Mike in AR:beer: