PDA

View Full Version : Rain Jacket Recommendations?

RonW87
03-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Tired of my plastic one (since it now looks like a petri dish science experiment gone badly wrong).

I'm looking to get one for around $100.

I'm 6'3" and 170 lbs. I'm looking at the Campagnolo Raytech Waterproof Jacket: http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C2485

I've got a campy jersey in XL and that seems to work in terms of sleeve and body length. Other suggestions?

Many thanks,
Ron

znfdl
03-25-2010, 12:33 PM
anything made by showerspass

Pete Serotta
03-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Pearl, and all the other "names" make some in this price range. While I have not used the CAMPY, I have used Pearl and a few others...Rain jackets are meant to keep the rain off, I have had little real luck with venting or breathing. The SHOWERS PASS work the best for "breathing" that I have had but they are more than 100.

salvatore
03-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Showers Pass are great because they ventilate REALLY well. May be a bit expensive, but one of those things that I think are worth it.

wasfast
03-25-2010, 01:35 PM
There have been several threads on this recently:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=64262&highlight=showers+pass

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=70728&highlight=showers+pass

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=70023&highlight=showers+pass

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=60109&highlight=showers+pass

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=58888&highlight=showers+pass

BengeBoy
03-25-2010, 01:47 PM
You'll end up with a Showers Pass eventually if you ride a lot in the rain.

The only question is -- how many other jackets do you want to buy before you get one?

For me, the answer was 2.

tlm993
03-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Two rain jackets here. (guess BengeBoy was right?)

First one was a Campy Raytech jacket like the one you linked to, but in white. It worked pretty well, though it was a little loose. It wasn't all that 'waterproof' though and heavy rain soaked it.

Recently got a Shower's Pass this winter as part of a team purchase and have used it a handful of times. So far so good. Fits better. Feels a little less durable, but it's definitely a better product.

-travis

wasfast
03-25-2010, 03:06 PM
My experiences:

Showers Pass Protech: good foldable jacket for racing, breathability is just good, not excellent.

Showers Pass Club: Very similar to the Double Century but with different material. The fabric isn't real breathable but back vent and pit zips help tremendously.

Showers Pass Double Century: The best balance of cost, foldability, durability

Showers Pass Elite 2.0: Very heavy duty jacket. Best for cold days (35-40F). A bit on the bulky side, expensive.

All the Showers pass jackets have very long arms for some reason. Just know that when you buy. Preferrably try before you buy.

pdmtong
03-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Same dilema here - tradeoffs for me seem to be:
- is it pouring when you start and you must ride in the pour?

- might it rain a little or a lot while you are out?

the former calls for something dedicated and heavy duty, like the SP 2.0. The latter calls for something packable, with enought temporary protection.

Of course, more than a few hours and anything is clammy and soaks.

I went for the latter, since I dont commute in the rain and if it is pouring, I would simply wait it out. Paid more that $100

I find the campy textran jackets sized consistently with the jerseys. so if jersey is size x, buy jacket in size x

fiamme red
03-25-2010, 03:16 PM
My experiences:

Showers Pass Protech: good foldable jacket for racing, breathability is just good, not excellent.

Showers Pass Club: Very similar to the Double Century but with different material. The fabric isn't real breathable but back vent and pit zips help tremendously.

Showers Pass Elite 2.0: Very heavy duty jacket. Best for cold days (35-40F). A bit on the bulky side, expensive.

All the Showers pass jackets have very long arms for some reason. Just know that when you buy. Preferrably try before you buy.Thanks for the review. I ordered a Double Century a few days ago and your post confirms my feeling that I made the right choice over the Protech and Elite.

BCS
03-25-2010, 03:35 PM
My experiences:

All the Showers pass jackets have very long arms for some reason. Just know that when you buy. Preferrably try before you buy.

Any thoughts on the Shower's Pass softshell trainer?

ckamp
03-25-2010, 03:39 PM
I have heard great things about the showers pass jackets, as for the campy one, I wear a medium jersey and take a large jacket b/c im 6'4+ and 173 and I need the length. Looks like we have a similar build, large would likely fit but the xl would have more room for layering if you need it.

rnhood
03-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Gore is another excellent brand, as they make some outstanding rain jackets - such as the Xenon and Oxygen - which you can now get from Competitive Cyclist for $126. In some ways I like them better than Showers Pass as they tend to fit better in the cycling posture. I own both.

wasfast
03-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Any thoughts on the Shower's Pass softshell trainer?

The trainer is a great piece for the right day but not intended as rain gear. A buddy I ride with has one. It's more insulated with some windblock on the front. I have a Castelli that is similar and it's my favorite piece of gear.

giverdada
03-25-2010, 05:54 PM
i hear you. we've been having some interesting and highly variable 'spring' weather here in toronto, and it's been a great testing season for outerwear.

i remember a while ago, bicycling had a save vs. splurge feature on what to get. they said save on rain gear, splurge on a saddle or helmet or...

in my experience, and everyone's is obviously different, rain gear doesn't breathe. gore-tex and all its similars are great, but they're expensive and after a few years, reduced to a not-so-breathable-windshell. bearing this in mind, and i sweat a lot anyway, so breathability is probably not really going to help my case, i opted for a cheap PVC clear rain shell. velcro closure. mesh sides for 'ventilation'. duct tape on the seam that i tore when i wore it in minus 20 winter. the thing is brilliant. and it's on its third season. 8 bucks a season? yeah...

one point i read from earlier that is of significance - if you want rain shelter and out and out dryness, that's PVC, but packability is something it can't do as well as a fancy gore-tex-or-other shell.

best of luck. hope you stay dry either way.

nick.
:beer:

Homsie
03-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Whichever jacket you choose, you'll definitely want to try it on. I wanted to purchase a Shower's Pass, but the large was too big and the medium too small. This was a Shower's Pass Elite 2.0. Also, the Elite 2.0 seemed to be a bit stiff under the arm pits where the zipper was attached. I ended up with the Hincapie Pacific rain jacket which is a bit more of a race cut and it doesn't really have a long tail to protect you from spray. I usually use fenders, though so that's not a big deal. BTW, don't believe the hype that Bicycling magazine said about the Hincapie Pacific having no sauna effect. It breaths a little, but you still need to wear a wicking base layer under it or you'll end up wet. It does have a dual zipper so you can unzip the bottom to vent a bit and to access food in your jersey pockets. The dual zipper is another must have for me.