PDA

View Full Version : toe fracture

george
03-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Last night I hit my pinky toe on the dinning room table leg I put ice on it and noticed that is was at 10:00 :eek: I was not in pain so after waking up it was still at 10:00! I went to the emergency room...three hours and an xray later revealed that I had fractured my pinky toe! If this has happened to any other cyclists please tell me how it went and how long before you resummed your passion to ride your bike ?

Blastinbob
03-17-2005, 09:33 PM
Just cut the damn thing off, you'll save some spinning weight! You should probably do the same thing to the other pinky toe.....to balance things out. :banana: :banana:

Tom
03-18-2005, 05:42 AM
It depends on how you break it. I chipped the top off my middle toe three days before a marathon, my podiatrist showed me how to tape it up and I ran the race. It didn't bother me.

I would imagine that bike shoes are a touch more uncomfortable because they are inflexible, but the good thing about a bone injury is that when it's healed, it's healed. I'd guess you should be able to ride in a couple of weeks if not a lot sooner.

SGP
03-18-2005, 06:05 AM
I tripped over my dog one morning, snagged my little toe on the corner of the wall, it was bent out at a right angle. I re-aimed it tapped it so it was pointing with all the rest. three weeks later I trudged up MT Marcy. the toe was fine, my heels were rubbed raw by my too old boots.

you'll be fine in a couple of days. :p

Too Tall
03-18-2005, 07:55 AM
Must be something in the air. Two weeks ago I fractured my left little toe same deal....but no ER. I've broken many toes in the pool before. Key is to immobilze it and keep it that way until healed...usually 2 weeks. If necessary use a piece of Dr. Sholls' moleskin between toes to prevent a pressure sore and than use "skin tape" (that's the clearish stuff) to gently NOT TOO TIGHT tape it to the other toe and fuggetaboutit. I resumed cycling the next day however walking is still painful....so who cares about walking anyway ;)

djg
03-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Fractured a couple of toes over the years, although not the littlest. I was fine spinning with the things taped up as soon as the swelling mostly went down (a couple of days or so). I'd baby it a bit, but if it's not your big toe your foot is basically functional. If you try something, and it really hurts, stop doing that thing.