PDA

View Full Version : Cycle Computer

dehoopta
03-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Now that the tough decisions of paint color, schemes and decal choice, I am looking for imput on cycle computers.

I am getting Shimano Ultegra and am considering the Flight Deck. I am also interested with the Ciclosport HAC-4. Someone in my riding group has it and likes it. Any opinions (now that is a loaded question)

While I am at it, any experience with Campy Zonda wheelsets?

Thanks for your help

Bradford
03-17-2005, 09:32 PM
I have a Vetta V100 wireless HR/Cadence, a couple of Cateye Astrales, and a wireless Flight Deck. The Cateye is the best for the information I want, but I don’t like the wire and I miss being able change the view from the hood like the Flight Deck. The V100 is good when it is working, but the HR is unreliable and it eats batteries.

Overall, the Flight Deck is my favorite. I like the virtual cadence feature, I really like the gear ratio feature (it’s on the tandem, so I can’t see the rear wheel if I need to visually check the cassette). I also love the buttons on the hood feature, it is much better than taking your hands off the bar to change the function. All of the other functions work just fine. If I have one nit is that the computer changes the display to show the numbers of the gear ratio when you shift gears. I don’t need this, the circles work just fine for me, and I often want to see the normal display. But this is only flashed for a few seconds, so it is annoying but not a deal breaker. (If you’ve never used a flight deck, this might not make much sense to you).

I think all computers have some kind of compromise, but the Flight Deck is the best of the bunch.

vaxn8r
03-18-2005, 12:34 AM
Now that the tough decisions of paint color, schemes and decal choice, I am looking for imput on cycle computers.

I am getting Shimano Ultegra and am considering the Flight Deck. I am also interested with the Ciclosport HAC-4. Someone in my riding group has it and likes it. Any opinions (now that is a loaded question)

While I am at it, any experience with Campy Zonda wheelsets?

Thanks for your help
I have a Flight Deck and a Ciclo M434 (I think).

The Flight deck gives you a virtual cadence. Kinda cool. I don't use it that much. I like being able to advance functions on the bar hoods. I also like the gear indicator as it is on my tandem where this information really helps. Not so sure it would be of benefit on a single.

My Ciclo gives me altitude data including %grade as well as a virtual power output, also kinda cool. Mine is downloadable onto my PC and gives printouts and color diagrams with numerous details including elevation distance graphs of your rides. Way cool!

The Flight deck is more compact. The Ciclo is a double decker...some may not like that.

Ti-Boy
03-18-2005, 04:32 AM
I have the HAC4. For the most part I'm very happy with it. Opted for wireless, hence no cadence. Download featrure is cool, but software is impossible for me to make full use of. I just received a second mounting kit for a second bike. Pretty shabby connection using a O-ring rubberband. Why not just make a 31.8 bracket for the price they get for these things?
Bottom line, if I lost mine, I'd probably get another to replace it.

BarryG
03-18-2005, 06:58 AM
Love the Flight Deck. It's the way to go IMHO.

I've got an early Flight Deck ('98) installation which is still going strong. I've replaced the computer once (probably my fault) and also managed to repair (via careful soldering) two broken wires within a pinched harness coming from right brifter.

Barry

rustolium
03-18-2005, 05:47 PM
I have a HAC4 with mounts on all my bikes. It is really great. The PC software is a total pain, but once you figure it out it does provide a lot of great information.

BTW, I have wireless for speed and have the cadence option as well.

The mounts are total crap. I use black electrical tape to reinforce the base to the little plastic part that goes on the bar. Have had no trouble with the rubber bands, but the plastic base breaks easily.

I would buy it again.

CNote
03-18-2005, 09:38 PM
I have no experience with the Zonda wheels, but surely you must have a different bike in mind for these, right?

dehoopta
03-19-2005, 09:55 AM
I have no experience with the Zonda wheels, but surely you must have a different bike in mind for these, right?

Call me naive. Is it totally sacreligious to mix Campy rims and Shimano components? :confused:

madbiker
03-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Does the flight deck for DA10 require you to buy the head, and then the wireless kit separately? Why would they always sell the head separatly, and thus useless on its own??

BarryG
03-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Does the flight deck for DA10 require you to buy the head, and then the wireless kit separately? Why would they always sell the head separatly, and thus useless on its own??
Yes, actually it makes sense. You can choose to buy either a wired or wireless harness. You can buy an extra harness for a second bike. You can buy a replacement computer if the original gets damaged or lost. Etc etc

Barry