PDA

View Full Version : Campy Headset

rounder
03-24-2010, 08:27 PM
I have one that was never used. I am in the process of buying my first ever custom and am planning to use (low mileage) parts off an older bike. I have chris king headsets on my other bikes and was thinking of getting one for this bike. But i have an unused record headset from somewhere before. I like the way it looks, but will that be worse than going for a new ck headset. I respect everyone's opinions.

Louis
03-24-2010, 08:33 PM
In my experience even super-cheapo headsets last a very, very long time. For me it's more a question of whether or not they look good for a particular build. I say if it looks right use it.

(threaded - I can't speak for threadless)

rounder
03-24-2010, 08:39 PM
That's what i was thinking. I had a shimano 600 components (now ultegra) on my old bike for over 10 years. Never did anything to maintain the headset. Only reason i got rid of it was because i changed the stuff over to campy and ck seemed like a good idea at the time.

oldpotatoe
03-25-2010, 06:59 AM
I have one that was never used. I am in the process of buying my first ever custom and am planning to use (low mileage) parts off an older bike. I have chris king headsets on my other bikes and was thinking of getting one for this bike. But i have an unused record headset from somewhere before. I like the way it looks, but will that be worse than going for a new ck headset. I respect everyone's opinions.

Headsets allow the fork to turn left and right a few degrees when you ride and need to be smooth doing so..Neither will be worse or better. Use the Campagnolo one, at least it is easier to service. If the frame is faced, and HS adjusted well, either will last for a long time.