PDA

View Full Version : any fat guys starting to lose weight?

whforrest
03-23-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm finally started to ride up here in nor cal. I'm about 40 pounds over weight and have only marginally improved my diet. Hope to be down to 185 by the end of sept.

duke
03-23-2010, 07:32 PM
I am not a fat guy, but I applaud the effort. Stay after it. Riding is fun at any weight and you will be amazed how much fun it is when you are lighter. Not to mention the health benefits.
duke

TMB
03-23-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm putting weight on..........

does that count??

Lifelover
03-23-2010, 08:18 PM
I had ACL surgery last Wednesday and I'm using the whole experience as a jump start to try and change my diet habits.

Even if it is short lived it will be of big benefit overall.

rdparadise
03-23-2010, 08:38 PM
I had ACL surgery last Wednesday and I'm using the whole experience as a jump start to try and change my diet habits.

Ouch! I hope your recovery and rehab goes smoothly. I guess the only bike you'll see for a while is a stationary one huh? Sorry to hear of the acl surgery. I'm rooting for a steady recovery my friend.

I signed up for the weight tracking/loss challenge here a few months back. I'm lucky if I'm down 2 lbs. Hopefully, with more riding I'll make quicker progress.

Good luck on losing the 40.

Bob

Ps. Here's the link for the Forum tracking weight loss worksheet.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArzHRgA47uv4dGlNbF95RDRMc204ZWVvcFVCLWJQR VE&hl=en

TMB
03-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Ouch! I hope your recovery and rehab goes smoothly. I guess the only bike you'll see for a while is a stationary one huh? Sorry to hear of the acl surgery. I'm rooting for a steady recovery my friend.

I signed up for the weight tracking/loss challenge here a few months back. I'm lucky if I'm down 2 lbs. Hopefully, with more riding I'll make quicker progress.

Good luck on losing the 40.

Bob

Ps. Here's the link for the Forum tracking weight loss worksheet.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArzHRgA47uv4dGlNbF95RDRMc204ZWVvcFVCLWJQR VE&hl=en

Whadda' know?

I signed up for that.

I should do something about that.

vqdriver
03-23-2010, 10:46 PM

At least you can watch the tourney at home.

Louis
03-24-2010, 12:12 AM
The weather has finally improved, but I'm so f'n busy at work I haven't ridden in ages. I guess that beats the alternative of having no work at all.

So, to answer the question,

NO!

wasfast
03-24-2010, 06:38 AM
Most of the comments on weight loss on forums consist mostly of "I haven't had much time to ride" or similar. Riding should almost be the additional boost to burning calories, not the primary.

Diet will make more difference than riding unless you're doing 10's of hours per week, which most definitely aren't.

I'm no poster boy for severe weight loss nor anything else for that matter. The conventional wisdom you hear all the time is mostly right, you just have to do it. I have learned the following:

1) Track your calories. I never gave much merit for doing this until I did. No matter how you eat, you'll be surprised at the calorie content and also overall makeup of fat, protein, salt, sugar and carbs of what you eat.

Online calculators such as Trainingpeaks.com and livestrong.com are both excellent and free. I use trainingpeaks. It takes a little time to get your foods setup in your favorites but after that, it's drag and drop. The database is huge so you'll not have to enter many foods.

1.5) Measure and/or weigh everything you eat. After a while you can estimate fairly accurately how much an item is but initially, you'll underestimate the amount. Electronic scales are very inexpensive and invaluable as is a measuring cup.

2) Graze not gorge. I eat every 3 hours but am careful what I eat overall. As much fresh vegatables as you like, nearly as much fruit as you like, and lean protein in 3-4 oz servings. Spread your calories evenly over the day, not 2 light meals and one large dinner.

3) Weigh every day. Nothing like seeing the number every day to keep your status at front of mind. I like using inductive scales like the Tanita to monitor my hydration. They aren't accurate for actual % fat but good for the changes day to day of water. Thus you can see if weight differences are water change vs body comp.

Clothes fit is actually a better overall measure of your progress but the scale at least gives you parametric feedback instantaneously.

4) Set yourself up for success. If you don't have a plan for meals, you'll not end up where you want to go. I make my lunch every day and take all the food for the work day with me. That way, I have options right there instead of being tempted by "other" options around me. Co workers have commented about my "fruit stand" at my desk.:-) Better that than having a desert bakery like many do.

If you travel, take food with your. This is especially true for car travel. Put the foods you are wanting to eat in a cooler in the trunk or back seat.

5) Eating out is very dangerous. The calorie content and fat/sugar/salt makeup of the foods there make it very difficult to eat how much/what you want. Another reason to have food on hand to avoid temptation.

Salad bars aren't necessarily a good thing. Having your own dressing of "known" content will save you hundreds of calories. Many extra items outside the vegetables in the salad bar can add LOTS of calories.

If you must eat out, ask about having a special request like a boneless chicken breast grilled, potato with no toppings, salad etc.

6) Clear the runway. If there are foods you don't want/shouldn't eat (ice cream, candy, cookies, chips etc), they shouldn't be in the house. Go through the pantry, cupboards and frig and purge any "bad" items. Expecting to withstand the temptation is overly optimistic. Better to not have it around at all.

7) Be careful in social gatherings. Same as at home and eating out, the temptations there will likely be high and not good for the body.

8) Eating right isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle. You need to have a longer term view so you have a sustainable diet, not one you do for 2 months and then revert to old habits.

9) Know your numbers. It's very useful to know you are using the correct resting metabolic rate (RMR) and burn rate during exercise (kcals/minute). You can find approximations of both but having them measured is far more accurate. RMR can vary hugely from person to person. My RMR is 1780, a teammate's is nearly 3000.

You can have a Bod Pod test done to find your RMR as well as % fat. It may not be the most encouraging number (%fat) but it's the truth.

Likewise a VO2 max test will show weaknesses in your aerobic/anaerobic zones, give you a LT number and your burn rate in those 2 areas.

Both of these are worth having done if you're at all serious about weight loss.

Peter B
03-24-2010, 07:48 AM
All excellent advice Wasfast. I'll add just a few comments.

I've been using MyFitnessPal, an iPhone app, to track calories. I like it; huge database of foods and pretty simple interface. I just key in foods at every meal along with excersise and update my weight each morning.

Remember that a pound of body fat is roughly 3,500 calories. So you'll need a 500 calorie deficit daily through diet and exercise to lose a pound per week. That is a safe, sustainable rate.

Go after the low hanging fruit, the empty calories; alcohol and sweets. If you're accustomed to a couple of beers or glasses of wine each day, eliminating just those and nothing else will nearly get you that pound per week of weight loss.

Experiment with new recipes using fruits, veggies and lean protein. Steam rather than fry. If you use oil, make it olive oil and in moderation. An so on. Eating right can be very tasty!

I put on more weight over last winter than I have in years. I'm now down 8 lbs with 5 to go. I'll be at race weight by the end of April!

The feedback you get from your body, family and friends as you make progress will be motivational. Good luck with your goals.

Now go ride Diablo!

toaster
03-24-2010, 08:05 AM
Let's make it simpler:

Give up soda and all calories consumed by drinking! Water, coffee, tea are all ok as well as on the bike sport drinks. You won't need to drink post ride calories either if you're focused on weight loss.

Eat 3 meals daily. Begin with good breakfast, light lunch and even lighter dinner. Snacks are inevitiable so choose wisely.

Eat good fats, lots of fiber, lots of plant based protein. Avoid breads, sugar, alcohol.

Eat green! Kale, spinach, lettuce, broccoli, swiss chard, avocado, and other green leafy stuff.

:)

false_Aest
03-24-2010, 08:33 AM
For every minute you spend on this board you should spend 5 minutes doing exercise.

E V E R Y

T I M E

E V E R Y

M I N U T E

jischr
03-24-2010, 09:48 AM
My wife and I are on Weight-Watchers. Starting in January to now I've lost 25 pounds on my way to 40. (I'm in the spreadsheet others mentioned) Most of what Wasfast says in items 1-8 are what WW is. My biggest items cut back to almost zero are fried chicken and hot wings. They made up 4-5 meals a week for me, now they're once a month. I never ate vegitables if I could avoid them, now they're 50-90% of every lunch and dinner; and I actually like it, go figure. Basically don't eat anything fried, anything from a fast food resturant, and ask for a box as soon as your restaurant meal comes and put half of it the box to remove the temptation of overeating.

Good luck on your journey. Oh, and riding the aero bars is alot easier now that I don't knee myself in the gut everytime.

flickwet
03-24-2010, 09:53 AM
in the winter of 2003 I weighed 217, in a year I was 172. Wasfast is correct I would only add what I know and learned.

1. Change your diet, but don't suffer. Have an occasional treat, eat alot of fruit and vegetables.

2. All restaurants have meals that are healthier, ex, Grilled Chipotle snack wrap no cheese at McD's, Dump a small Wendies Chili on their side salad. Drink alot of water before you eat, eat a big salad before an entree. Wine instead of beer, martini's instead of wine, even an occasional but small icecream (baby cone). Substitute servings, eliminate crap.

3. Ride a bike hard but don't kill pourself for at least an hour every other day, if you miss a day don't sweat it in the long term it won't mean much or make up for it on a longer ride. You don't want to dread the killer ride, you want to enjoy the hard ride.

4. Remember this is from someone who doesn't race but a couple of times a year for fun, who doesn't win and never will, but got in shape and feels great without living like a monk

4. Don't get wound up about the minutiae, I didn't weigh myself intentionally, I had changed my life style, the pounds will take care of themselves... then one day, wow, this works!

jlwdm
03-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Lots of good advice already but here is what worked for me.

I have ridden my bike a lot during the last 3 years, but I have done a poor job with my diet. I tend to reward myself when I ride a lot and also eat a lot when under stress at work.

Last year I lost 14 lbs the first half of the year and gained 22 lbs the second half of the year. Really discouraging.

I am not a believer in diets but I am a big believer in changing eating habits for your lifetime. I do not count calories, but I do write down everything I eat in a journal. Over the last couple of years I have tried this and then quit writing things down when I started eating poorly. It is okay to fail a few times - you will learn from your mistakes.

A week ago I started focusing on food as being fuel for my body and I have turned a corner. I am eating a lot more vegetables and fruits and cutting out the fatty foods. I take my lunch to work a lot and keep fruits and vegetables in the refrigerator for snacks.

This better eating will help my biking but I am not focusing on biking. I am focusing on being in better shape. I joined a gym to get through some of the bad weather and that has been great. Some bike, treadmill, weights and core. I go watch certain sports events or tv shows at the gym will alternating between the bike and treadmill.

In addition I am doing things like taking better care of my teeth, going to the doctor for things I have let slide and getting rid of clothes I do not feel good in. I am trying to look at a bigger picture.

Right now I am riding and working out too much and not getting any rest days. I am on the old Eddy Merckx program - just ride lots. As soon as I lose a few more pounds I am going to back off and ride days with more intensity and days with more rest.

I don't have a scale but I do weigh in once a week for the Serotta Weight Loss Challenge. My 32 lb goal at 1 lb per week ends on August 14th and then I will re-evaluate.

I measure my waist, hips etc once a month.

The other tool I use is a goals notebook. I look at it every morning and carry it in my briefcase. It starts with food and exercise goals, then an Excel chart of my weight loss goal and actual numbers, then some medical goals - like cholesterol and then photos of people in good shape - although I use photos of women not men because they are more enjoyable to look at. Easy to find good photos of women showing flat stomachs.

Just stick with it and find what works for you. You will make mistakes but if you keep trying you will get a good program for you and meet your goals.

Jeff

jblande
03-24-2010, 12:44 PM
One small suggestion that has made a big difference in my life:

the structure of marketing in the United States is that restraunts and stores tend to offer a small version and a huge version of a given item. The small item is most likely just a bit more than what you should have, whereas the big item is usually about 2x what you should have. I was raised to take the bigger item 'because it is a better deal.'

Take the smaller item. You will lose weight and still have eaten enough.

By spending more money on the larger item, you are not saving anything. The incremental benefit is an illusion.

godfrey1112000
03-24-2010, 12:51 PM
All excellent advice Wasfast. I'll add just a few comments.

I've been using MyFitnessPal, an iPhone app, to track calories. I like it; huge database of foods and pretty simple interface. I just key in foods at every meal along with excersise and update my weight each morning.

Remember that a pound of body fat is roughly 3,500 calories. So you'll need a 500 calorie deficit daily through diet and exercise to lose a pound per week. That is a safe, sustainable rate.

Go after the low hanging fruit, the empty calories; alcohol and sweets. If you're accustomed to a couple of beers or glasses of wine each day, eliminating just those and nothing else will nearly get you that pound per week of weight loss.

Experiment with new recipes using fruits, veggies and lean protein. Steam rather than fry. If you use oil, make it olive oil and in moderation. An so on. Eating right can be very tasty!

I put on more weight over last winter than I have in years. I'm now down 8 lbs with 5 to go. I'll be at race weight by the end of April!

The feedback you get from your body, family and friends as you make progress will be motivational. Good luck with your goals.

Now go ride Diablo!

You are right on target, I am 55

I have ridden 10-12k miles a year and not lost a pound, even put on some in the winter, always thinking I could eat and drink all I want because of the riding

Since January I have done the following:
P90X with diet
cut out all beer and wine
no sweets or bread
no eating after 7pm
used the weight loss chart featured here
started at 212 down to 191 with a goal of 175

net result 21 pounds

all my cloths fit or need to be taken in

rugbysecondrow
03-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Great advice. I will add to it, not detract in any way, what worked for me.

I made my goal fitness rather than strictly weight loss. With fitness as the goal, it helped make more life decisions rather that diet or weight related decisions. Losing weight, for me, was a biproduct of being fit. Lots of skinny unfit people out there.

Lift weights. More muscle equals more calories burned daily. Be strong like bull. Kettlebells are a great tool that blend strength and aerobic.

Two, Set your budget. Think of calories the way you think of your houshold budget. You are either in the red or in the black. Determine approx how many calories you burn daily and then cut back from there. If you burn 2100, then make 1800 your goal. After a week, you have saved 2100 calories, or a days worth. Keep the big picture in mind knowing it is 3 steps forward, 1 step back helps because we will faulter. When you start budgeting, it makes you value your calories and make better decisions the way you would with household dollars.

Hope this blends in with everything else to be helpful.

Lifelover
03-24-2010, 01:01 PM
It is not very popular in the "sports world" but a low carb diet (Atkins) is a great way to kick start weight loss. I think it is even more true for comfort/binge eaters. A few weeks of low carbs and you get amazing results and you learn that you are really not as dependent as you think. It is not a long term plan, but it really does get things going.

The best advise I got years ago for a dietitian was to not drink any calories. Caloric drinks are very, very condensed. All the same benefits can be had by eating properly and in the end you get more enjoyment out of eating an orange than you do drinking orange juice.

Jeff N.
03-24-2010, 01:09 PM
I got a shorter haircut, so that shaved a few pounds. Jeff N.

fiamme red
03-24-2010, 01:10 PM
2) Graze not gorge. I eat every 3 hours but am careful what I eat overall. As much fresh vegatables as you like, nearly as much fruit as you like, and lean protein in 3-4 oz servings. Spread your calories evenly over the day, not 2 light meals and one large dinner.http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/23/health/23really.html?src=sch&pagewanted=all

THE BOTTOM LINE

There is no solid evidence that six small meals a day instead of three will speed metabolism.

wasfast
03-24-2010, 02:10 PM
I eat regularily to keep my blood sugar more consistent but also to keep from getting real hungry and then overeating or eating things I shouldn't.

ti_boi
03-24-2010, 02:32 PM
I hit a new high this year....at.....drumrolll please.....two hundred and fifty pounds! I knew I felt a little bloated. So here we go....no pictures...please! :cool:

whforrest
03-24-2010, 04:58 PM
You are right on target, I am 55

I have ridden 10-12k miles a year and not lost a pound, even put on some in the winter, always thinking I could eat and drink all I want because of the riding

Since January I have done the following:
P90X with diet
cut out all beer and wine
no sweets or bread
no eating after 7pm
used the weight loss chart featured here
started at 212 down to 191 with a goal of 175

net result 21 pounds

all my cloths fit or need to be taken in

you are my hero, i dream of doing p90x and cycling simultaneously! great advice everyone! weight loss and diet is something we can all agree on!

SoCalSteve
03-24-2010, 10:45 PM
All great advice!

And, I applaud anyone that loses weight AND keeps it off!

Also, I have found that it truly is a 80%-20% ratio when losing weight....

80% diet and 20% exercise.

Just eat less. So much easier said than done!

Just sayin'

Steve

fatallightning
03-25-2010, 01:09 AM
It is not very popular in the "sports world" but a low carb diet (Atkins) is a great way to kick start weight loss. I think it is even more true for comfort/binge eaters. A few weeks of low carbs and you get amazing results and you learn that you are really not as dependent as you think. It is not a long term plan, but it really does get things going.

The best advise I got years ago for a dietitian was to not drink any calories. Caloric drinks are very, very condensed. All the same benefits can be had by eating properly and in the end you get more enjoyment out of eating an orange than you do drinking orange juice.
i dropped 90 or so pounds on atkins 6 years ago. it worked for me, all diet, very little exercise. i gained back a little, only maybe 15 or so slowly. as i started becoming more active with cycling, i introduced more carbs back into my diet. i had a fat winter last year, so i did a mini atkins cycle and lost 15 lbs in a month and half or so. i skipped the weight gain this winter, and am already below my race weight from last year. i have always avoided sugary drinks, no processed sweets. fruits, veggies, lowfat yogurt etc. meats a plenty.

rounder
06-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Found out today that we lost the conract that i have been working on for the last 5 years. I asked...so what does that mean...was told, well you are on the road again. Lots of travel. I will either balloon to 200 or descend to 120.

stephenmarklay
06-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Too much great info here to add much.

My two cents:

Duplicate: Use an online calculator. I use my fitness pal. My mistress:

Buy the book Race Weight. Dispels several misconceptions and adds a few things that I have used.

My tricks of the trade are eating mostly steamed, raw or stir fry veggies, lots of fruit like oranges, apples pears and especially blueberries and strawberries since they are almost free calorie wise. I only get 1 Banana (nothing wrong with them but if I don't limit them I will eat 10)

Nuts are great if you have the ability to say no after a handful or so a day. I was eating fantastic and gaining weight while riding a fair amount do to my infatuation with them. All of them.

I eat almost as good as humanly possible and to get 20 pounds lower thats what it it will take. 149 here I come so you better be ready. :D

flydhest
06-15-2010, 09:19 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/23/health/23really.html?src=sch&pagewanted=all

THE BOTTOM LINE

There is no solid evidence that six small meals a day instead of three will speed metabolism.

For me, the many meal approach is not about metabolism. Instead, it is about not being extremely hungry at meals and then over eating. I am a stress and comfort eater, but when I get hungry, I tend to go a bit crazy. Eating more frequently, but smaller portions means that I can have a small lunch and a small dinner (I can't eat a big breakfast regardless, my system doesn't like it) and keep total consumption lower.

15 pounds in the past two months--my team's spring training camp was a humiliation.

fiamme red
06-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Good article about dealing with hunger on a diet: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/9-ways-to-deal-with-hunger-on-a-diet.html

More excellent articles about fat loss from the same author: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss

vqdriver
06-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Found out today that we lost the conract that i have been working on for the last 5 years. I asked...so what does that mean...was told, well you are on the road again. Lots of travel. I will either balloon to 200 or descend to 120.

what industry are you in?

stephenmarklay
06-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Very valid. I do it and it works for me also. Mark Fitzgerald used this approach in his book.

I do a snack of 70 cals of Whey protien, 1/4 cup of wheat bran and a couple of strawberries for a 115 cals 2 to three times a day. Helps me eat less and not feel hungry.

For me, the many meal approach is not about metabolism. Instead, it is about not being extremely hungry at meals and then over eating. I am a stress and comfort eater, but when I get hungry, I tend to go a bit crazy. Eating more frequently, but smaller portions means that I can have a small lunch and a small dinner (I can't eat a big breakfast regardless, my system doesn't like it) and keep total consumption lower.

15 pounds in the past two months--my team's spring training camp was a humiliation.

Volant
06-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Down 18 this year. Climbing sure seems easier!