PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar Bra

norcalbiker
03-23-2010, 12:56 PM
I am tired of getting all the bugs on my bike when I transport from one place to another on top of my car. Anyone here use this accessories? Which one is a good one to buy? Found this one locally. Is this any good?

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1023898_-1_400019_400007_400019

TIA

veloduffer
03-23-2010, 01:02 PM
They work fine. I have an older one that has lasted for quite some time. Cost-wise, I don't think there is a significant difference between Performance and some other brand (Yakima). They might be made from the same firm, for all we know.

Kevan
03-23-2010, 01:49 PM
used to farm their bra out under different labels, such as Performance. They work fine and on long drives can get really filty. Once you rinse one out you get the impression the bike would be better off traveling inside the vehicle.

If you buy from Scicon, as I did, you can save a couple bucks. This was YEARS ago so can't guarantee the same results.

Smiley
03-23-2010, 01:51 PM
I see a copy right violation with HandleBra the ultimate bar wrap people, maybe Ray should get his lawyers on this right away :banana:

TMB
03-23-2010, 01:55 PM
I used one - once.

During the drive from Bakersfield to Redding it shredded.

I now use a combination of pipe insulation and bubble wrap ( for the bars and head tube ) ,

Takes longer to install but doesn't shred.

veloduffer
03-23-2010, 02:06 PM
used to farm their bra out under different labels, such as Performance. They work fine and on long drives can get really filty. Once you rinse one out you get the impression the bike would be better off traveling inside the vehicle.

+1
If driving in the summer on a long trip, you do accummulate lots of bug goo and it doesn't hose off easily. A minivan can be a cyclist's best friend. :rolleyes:

Bruce K
03-23-2010, 02:13 PM
I have used both the Performance and Scicon with no issues.

The Performance has some water repellant stuff that goes over the saddle.

Pretty good against bugs, not much of anything against stones.

BK

Waldo
03-23-2010, 02:39 PM
From here http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/67.htm:

I don’t like roof racks!

The roof rack thing goes like this; we at Spectrum have repaired so many unnecessarily damaged frames and/or forks from roof rack accidents that we feel that you might just as well keep the bike inside the car with you and suffer with less room. Of course the most common accident involves the owner driving into their garage with the bike still on the rack. We get about five a year like this. But there are other roof rack accidents waiting to happen.'Take the "it just fell off" accident. We see them all the time.'This kind of accident has claimed some expensive frames and bikes which were less than a month old, all because someone had one complication or another with a roof rack!'Ugh!'

The worst case we have seen happened the evening after the first CoreStates race in Philadelphia. Eric Heiden had just won the race and had to make his plane at the JFK airport. The 7-11 van raced to the airport with some of the bikes on top. Lo and behold, Eric's and a few others lost their saddles, posts and a few other items. In addition, his and some of the other frames were completely trashed.

I know we do tend to be over careful here, but we don't like to repair frames which have been needlessly damaged either.

In the end, roof racks will continue to be popular but I suggest you do what I do keep ours bicycle inside the car.'If you have to use a rack, put your garage door remote in the trunk so that you have to get out to operate it. This may slow you down enough to remember that your bike is on the roof.

Good luck, ride lots and don't crash.

Bytesiz
03-23-2010, 03:03 PM

I don’t like roof racks!

The roof rack thing goes like this; we at Spectrum have repaired so many unnecessarily damaged frames and/or forks from roof rack accidents that we feel that you might just as well keep the bike inside the car with you and suffer with less room. Of course the most common accident involves the owner driving into their garage with the bike still on the rack. We get about five a year like this. But there are other roof rack accidents waiting to happen.'Take the "it just fell off" accident. We see them all the time.'This kind of accident has claimed some expensive frames and bikes which were less than a month old, all because someone had one complication or another with a roof rack!'Ugh!'

The worst case we have seen happened the evening after the first CoreStates race in Philadelphia. Eric Heiden had just won the race and had to make his plane at the JFK airport. The 7-11 van raced to the airport with some of the bikes on top. Lo and behold, Eric's and a few others lost their saddles, posts and a few other items. In addition, his and some of the other frames were completely trashed.

I know we do tend to be over careful here, but we don't like to repair frames which have been needlessly damaged either.

In the end, roof racks will continue to be popular but I suggest you do what I do keep ours bicycle inside the car.'If you have to use a rack, put your garage door remote in the trunk so that you have to get out to operate it. This may slow you down enough to remember that your bike is on the roof.

Great idea.... just tell me how to fit 4 bikes in a Prius and I will gladly give up my roof rack.

Waldo
03-23-2010, 03:11 PM
I've had the misfortune of driving into various low hanging obstacles no fewer than four times with predictable results ---> :crap: . [You can skip the name-calling, I've done it aplenty.] Keeping my bike inside the car these days because a bike bikini is not tough enough to protect a frame from impact with most stationary objects. A large Santana tandem with front wheel removed fits completely inside a Mazda 6 hatchback.

Waldo
03-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Great idea.... just tell me how to fit 4 bikes in a Prius and I will gladly give up my roof rack.

I don't have a solution for you. Just be mindful of the bikes on the roof and hope your Prius doesn't suddenly accelerate to a place with low overhang.

veloduffer
03-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Vlad, any issues with hitch racks?

TMB
03-23-2010, 03:43 PM
When I am driving 1600 miles with my wife, two kids, two dogs and luggage.

And, my bike.

Guess where the bike rides.

The same place it has for 30 years - even when I was single.

I have NEVER had an accident with my bike or driven into anything , etc.

Frankly, I feel my bike is safer up there than hanging off the back of the car.

Ahneida Ride
03-23-2010, 05:12 PM
There is only ONE HandleBra

www.HandleBra.com

:beer:

capybaras
03-23-2010, 05:42 PM
I am tired of getting all the bugs on my bike when I transport from one place to another on top of my car. Anyone here use this accessories? Which one is a good one to buy? Found this one locally. Is this any good?

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1023898_-1_400019_400007_400019

TIA

Would Saranwrap work?

Pete Serotta
03-23-2010, 05:46 PM
It is sensuous and like RED :beer:

There is only ONE HandleBra

www.HandleBra.com

:beer:

capybaras
03-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Leather bras are for biker chicks.

capybaras
03-23-2010, 05:51 PM
As in the kind that wear doorags that say "this bitch don't fall off" I mean.

paczki
03-23-2010, 05:52 PM
As in the kind that wear doorags that say "this bitch don't fall off" I mean.

Now that's funny. :banana: :banana: :banana:

capybaras
03-23-2010, 06:00 PM
WAKE UP!

KeithS
03-23-2010, 07:26 PM
I have a couple of them hanging in the garage. I don't use my roof rack much anymore, since I bought a hitch mount rack. Driving across the prairie several summers back it collected the bugs and lots of them, but the mileage in the car just sucked. It was also like putting up a sail, and not in a good way. NorCal, if you PM me with your mailing address I will send you one of my Yakima branded Road Transport Covers, and you can try it. I sure got my money's worth out of mine, the money I saved in bug guts remover alone.....

bironi
03-23-2010, 07:38 PM
is getting some kickback from HandleBra.

rwsaunders
03-23-2010, 09:37 PM
The bike bras work well for keeping moisture off of the bars and saddle when transporting as well. Much needed for early morning Spring and Fall rides around here. No issues with a Performance branded unit that I have had for 6-8 years or so.

Ahneida Ride
03-23-2010, 10:01 PM
is getting some kickback from HandleBra.

just ask em what their NAHBS bike were covered in. :p

and about 15 other NAHBS high end builders.

William
03-24-2010, 10:16 AM
just ask em what their NAHBS bike were covered in. :p

and about 15 other NAHBS high end builders.

...and many assorted implements of destruction. :D

William

Waldo
03-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Vlad, any issues with hitch racks?

Not yet, only aesthetic. :)

IFRider
03-24-2010, 03:47 PM

I don’t like roof racks!

Into the garage ...

My wife pulled into the garage with her old '85 Cannondale on the roof of her '89 Jetta Golf. She had the music cranked and forgot about the bike. The bike was on a Thule fork tray mount. The bike was still attached to the roof rack and the roof rack was ripped from the Golf. It was standing in the driveway like we had lifted it right off. The only damage to the bike was the cheesy plastic brake cable guide on the top tube was ripped off. I was sitting in the house when it happend and thought something blew up.

We now put the garbage cans in front of the garage before leaving the house with bike on the car.

Warren