PDA

View Full Version : Silver durability

Tmogul
03-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Does anyone know if silver anodizing is less durable then black? I've heard that the thomson silver posts and stems are more likely to loose their color over the black ones and that they easily scrape off. I personally think silver looks better with a bare ti frame vs black. Also any reviews on the thomson X2's? Thanks for any info and reviews.

dave thompson
03-17-2005, 01:04 PM
I have both the silver and black Thomson posts, and let me tell you the colors do not scrape off! Or flake off. Or come off by any method I've seen short of sandpaper. You can gouge the anodizing down to bare metal, but it's on there pretty permanently. Black anodizing, from anybody, will fade after a long period of time, quicker if it is left in direct sun extensively.

OldDog
03-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Anodize is done by submersing the alloy part into a tank of the specified chemicals and electrically charging for a determined period of time. The anodize will penetrat the surface up to .002". As DT says, it will not scrape off, unless you scrape down to below the penetrated depth. It does not come off like paint.

The final finish is determined by the hardness of the alloy being used and the surface finish of the part to be coated, the type/color of anodize and the ability of the coater to control his process. Black hardcoat is the most durable, but the final finish is subject to alloy/part surface finish/ability of processer.

This does not answer your question specifically to Thompson, but I hope it helps.

dirtdigger88
03-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Im with Dave- I have both silver and black Thomson parts- both are holding their color just fine-

no review on the X2 yet- I am told mine is exepected to be here this week- but it is thursday afternoon and I have not seen it- speedgoat cycles does have them in stock though (I spoke to them today) they told me if I ordered it today I could have it on Monday- too bad I already paid for the one through the LBS

Jason

William
03-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Anodize is done by submersing the alloy part into a tank of the specified chemicals and electrically charging for a determined period of time. The anodize will penetrat the surface up to .002". As DT says, it will not scrape off, unless you scrape down to below the penetrated depth. It does not come off like paint.

The final finish is determined by the hardness of the alloy being used and the surface finish of the part to be coated, the type/color of anodize and the ability of the coater to control his process. Black hardcoat is the most durable, but the final finish is subject to alloy/part surface finish/ability of processer.

Exactly.

We had a number of anodized aluminum parts that we sold in various colors. Sometimes we would also blast images into the surface to get through the anodizing to the raw aluminum.

Speaking of that, be looking for a stem and post with custom etching of the forum Banana or other art showing up soon. ;)

William

Tmogul
03-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Thanks guys. As always very informative. I wish there were more colors to choose from. I like Chris king's headset/hub color choices. Imagine if they had that array of color choices for thomson with their brighter look.

Jason I've seen your bike in pics here and I like your thomson setup. I think the x2's will look even better on there. Is your post a masterpiece or elite? Its a bit more for only 40g loss.

William I'd be interested in seeing some pics of anodized stuff. So I take it you yourself anodize things? (clueless here)

Thanks again and no worries here for silver.....yeah :banana:

Bradford
03-17-2005, 06:52 PM
William,

Let me know when you want me at your office with my stem to be the first guinea pig for the forum banana etching. :banana:

dirtdigger88
03-17-2005, 08:52 PM
I am actually not running the Thomson post any longer- I have been busy this winter modifying my position- I now run a dura ace post- coy will be the proud pappa of my post in a day or so- I was hoping the X2 would be in this week- but it is thursday night and I am leaving town in the morning so I guess i wont be getting it this week even if it does arrive. I am excited though- sorta the final piece to a build a year in the making

Jason

William
03-18-2005, 05:55 AM
William,

Let me know when you want me at your office with my stem to be the first guinea pig for the forum banana etching.

No problem Big B. Just give me a heads up before you come by. Any week day before noon.

William

William
03-18-2005, 01:05 PM
William I'd be interested in seeing some pics of anodized stuff. So I take it you yourself anodize things? (clueless here)

Sorry Tmogul,
I missed your question.

In the previous company that I managed we worked in glass & metal. In the metal aspect we had a few lines using different colors of anodized aluminum. We also did a lot of custom & one-off work to them. Since going out on my own I deal mainly in glass so I don't have a need to do anodizing. I do have access to a company the does some anodizing, plateing, and has a lot of finishing processes and heavy tooling(we share the building). But, I can still do custom work on most anodized products. Images, logos, sayings, or quotes can be etched onto the surface. Bradford wants the Banana logo on a stem. I have a few parts of my own that I'm going to customize as well. I'll get pictures and post them when finished.

William

Tmogul
03-18-2005, 02:31 PM
William ,

that would be neat to see. thanks for answering.