PDA

View Full Version : Fully loaded touring on a Rambouillet?

oldmill
03-23-2010, 05:08 AM
Bad idea? Are the tubes too thin to carry panniers without wagging the frame? Tnx

palincss
03-23-2010, 05:29 AM
All depends on what you mean by "fully loaded". If to you it means a 20 lb load, no question. If you go to 30, most likely fine. If you're talking about 50 pound loads, it might be possible but definitely would be sub-optimal.

This was discussed extensively on the Riv list back when the Rambouillet first came out. Grant said don't load it up with more than 20 lb of luggage, that wasn't its purpose, for fully loaded touring Riv had the Atlantis. On the other hand, the tubing on the Rambouillet, although not as heavy as on the Atlantis, is still substantially stiffer than the most robust tubing used on touring bikes in the 1970s, so it's not going to be as bad as the road racers people loaded up for the BikeCentennial but there are more appropriate choices for that job.

Ray
03-23-2010, 05:43 AM
Yeah, I never loaded mine up with more than a really big saddlebag (a Hoss, I believe it was called), but I've seen 'em with both front and rear panniers. I don't think its a full on expedition tourer, but Grant overbuilds his bikes on purpose and they can generally handle a lot more than he'd ever suggest.

To me, 30 pounds of gear is pretty loaded, and the Rambouillet would handle that just fine. As long as we're not talking about a 300 pound rider or something.

-Ray

Ti Designs
03-23-2010, 05:45 AM
To me two beers is loaded, but I have a special bike for that...

SamIAm
03-23-2010, 06:04 AM
I have done a fully loaded tour on a Homer Hilsen, which is probably similar to the Rambouillet in many ways. The biggest issue was big time tail wag whenever you get out of the saddle on a climb, but you get used to it after a while. Other than that, no issues at all.

Bradford
03-23-2010, 06:21 AM
To me, 30 pounds of gear is pretty loaded
To me, 60 pounds is loaded if you are touring alone, probably more like 45 if you are touring with someone else and can split up the tent, cookware, and food.

Ray
03-23-2010, 06:49 AM
To me, 60 pounds is loaded if you are touring alone, probably more like 45 if you are touring with someone else and can split up the tent, cookware, and food.
Yeah, I don't think I'd try that on a Rambouillet. But I've done two week tours with cooking/camping gear, but a pretty minimalist setup, and kept it to around 30. Probably 35 right after a grocery stop. And I didn't do those on a Rambouillet, but I suspect I could have. Only some pretty heavily loaded credit card tours, which is a whole nother thing. A BIG credit card tour load is a very very very small self-supported load.

-Ray

Wilkinson4
03-23-2010, 07:26 AM
Go for it. I did two long tours on my Rambouillet including a 47 day solo tour with camping 40 of those days.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilkinson411/sets/72157623552972811/

I really don't think there is much difference between packing for a five day, two week, or month long trip. Just pack wisely.

I think I had about 8lbs up front and maybe 28lbs in the back. And that is when I started. I ended up shipping several things back over the course of the trip.

I had a handlebar bag, and then used straps to stash the sleeping pad behind the bag. The saddle bag contained everything except the sleeping bag. And I didn't use compression sacks like they have now.

Ruffy Tuffy tires and only 1 flat. I did break a rear spoke so if I did it over again I would go lighter but it is totally doable.

Also, consider using only bike sandals. Only only pair of shoes to pack and they work really well.

mIKE

khjr
03-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Go for it. I did two long tours on my Rambouillet including a 47 day solo tour with camping 40 of those days.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilkinson411/sets/72157623552972811/

I had a handlebar bag, and then used straps to stash the sleeping pad behind the bag. The saddle bag contained everything except the sleeping bag. mIKE

I've been slowing collecting parts to build up my blue Rambouillet for credit card touring. Those bags and rack look perfect. Could you please advise as to the manufacturer and model? Also, did you find that your thighs or heels rubbed the bag at all? Thanks!

Wilkinson4
03-23-2010, 06:17 PM
PM me. I have the rear rack for sale! I miss that bike but I sold it to fund my 650B Toei which I love:)

mIKE

oldmill
03-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks all for your replies. Very helpful. And Wilkinson4 your last post goes right to the crux of my dilemma, such as it is: I'm thinking of selling the Rambouillet to get a full-on tourer, probably a 650b. The thing is though that for now the Rambouillet is an almost perfect commuter and winter bike. I may just hold onto it and get the tourer as well, but there's not really room in the stable for another bike. The Ram seems to fall in between a club racer and tourer, and I want one of each!

Wilkinson4
03-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Did you see the vintage Ritchey touring bike recently posted on the Classic Rendezvous list??? No issues with the Ram touring. When I was out I could carry good speed and saw alot of guys fully loaded with their cargo bikes.

No thanks. I will say that I didn't cook in camp alot and ate on the road so that does make a difference. I I was touring outside America I would for sure use a full on touring rig or something like a CoMotion Pangea or maybe have a Sendero made:)

Mike

Ken Robb
03-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks all for your replies. Very helpful. And Wilkinson4 your last post goes right to the crux of my dilemma, such as it is: I'm thinking of selling the Rambouillet to get a full-on tourer, probably a 650b. The thing is though that for now the Rambouillet is an almost perfect commuter and winter bike. I may just hold onto it and get the tourer as well, but there's not really room in the stable for another bike. The Ram seems to fall in between a club racer and tourer, and I want one of each!

so let's say you might tour 10 days a year and ride the bike you have the other 355 days. Should you sell the Ram for a specialized/seldom needed touring bike?

oldmill
03-24-2010, 05:04 AM
Good question, Ken. The thing is that a tourer could also serve as a good commuter and winter bike, but your point goes to the heart of the matter.

palincss
03-24-2010, 07:11 AM
It's an excellent argument for light touring, in my opinion. That could be either hotelling or selecting only what's absolutely essential and choosing only the lightest gear. Personally, I've done both, and the riding is a lot more fun when the load's down to 20 lb rather than upwards of 40.

Ken Robb
03-24-2010, 08:16 AM
I have to say that I can imagine credit card touring with fun riding on a lightly loaded bike but struggling along with a heavily loaded bike isn't very appealing to me. Most campsites I have used lately cost $20-22 plus $1-2 for a shower if available. I have gotten some amazing deals on motels via Priceline in the last couple of years so the $$ savings of tenting aren't very big.

Joellogicman
03-24-2010, 08:51 AM
Riding to a National Park or remote area and camping can be pretty special.

I also have come to prefer motels and B&Bs when short touring on the beaten path.

I have to say that I can imagine credit card touring with fun riding on a lightly loaded bike but struggling along with a heavily loaded bike isn't very appealing to me. Most campsites I have used lately cost $20-22 plus $1-2 for a shower if available. I have gotten some amazing deals on motels via Priceline in the last couple of years so the $$ savings of tenting aren't very big.