PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Murray Serotta on ebay

learlove
03-22-2010, 10:24 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Murray-Serotta-1984-USA-Olypmics-Campagnolo-7-Eleven_W0QQitemZ250602117139QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRoa d_Bikes?hash=item3a590cd813

love that basic red paint with the chrome stays/fork

JohnHemlock
03-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Toilet paper roll needs replacing.

Louis
03-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Wow, this is sort of like when you stand between two parallel mirrors and if you look carefully you can see infinity (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=71631)

?????

retrogrouchy
03-23-2010, 07:15 AM
I am generally extremely suspicious about claims made in eBay descriptions for bikes like these, unless I know the seller personally. YAMMV.

shiftyfixedgear
03-23-2010, 08:42 AM
Y'know some folks are just so proud of finally getting indoor plumbing that they just have to show it off. I'm guessing that is why the seller went to all the trouble to take the picture in the bathroom "of his office".

I'm also guessing that he didn't want to show us any other photos of his workplace because then we might see Ronald Mcdonald in the background, or the drive-up window, Playland, etc.

When I actually went to the auction and read the description that is when I really got a laugh. That seller is full of total B.S. What a hoot !

Pete Serotta
03-23-2010, 09:25 AM
57cm c-t-c and 56 tt. Like new condition and has resided in SPOKES living room for the past 5 years... Campy period correct or it can be built with a set of 50th anniversary which was on it when I bought from Cyclesport in late 84.

Yep.....price will be dependent on groups. The campy (non 50th) has the "funny" brakes of that era. $2800

flickwet
03-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Y'know some folks are just so proud of finally getting indoor plumbing that they just have to show it off. I'm guessing that is why the seller went to all the trouble to take the picture in the bathroom "of his office".

I'm also guessing that he didn't want to show us any other photos of his workplace because then we might see Ronald Mcdonald in the background, or the drive-up window, Playland, etc.

When I actually went to the auction and read the description that is when I really got a laugh. That seller is full of total B.S. What a hoot !

I'm not related to the seller and have no intention of bidding but in all honesty it seems on the up and up, and makes for an interesting read, especially the questions and answers, even Ol' Ben appears to have supported the legitimacy of the frame. Forum members should be following this sale of this bike I think it's cool, and I wish I could afford it right now

flickwet
03-23-2010, 09:36 AM
and just my size to boot, can't swing it, yer all bustin my ...post a pic when you can, I know we would all love to see that bike, maybe a sticky of historical Serottas and histories would be in order, now if I sneak into the bank tonite...

retrogrouchy
03-23-2010, 06:33 PM

+1 on that. Full of baloney (and eBay hype), that man is.

learlove
03-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Q: Hi - Pretty cool. I'm sure you would've mentioned in the listing, but any idea of who the rider was that this would've been issued to? Also, do you have any way of authenticating that it is indeed a Team bike (as opposed to a dressed up barn-built Serotta)? Thanks Mar-22-10
A: Hi, I contacted Ben himself, (Ben Serotta), he did assure me it was a team bike. The big difference is the tab under the top tube that held the athletes number. These tabs are part of the frame, not welded on after. There were several practice bikes without the tab, but only 18 with. No clue on who the orig rider was. Ben told me those records are long gone. There is a serial number on the bottom bracket. I am told the diehards on Serottas forum might have an old accounting of who rode which bike. I made an attempt to join but they wont let me post a question. One of my friends listed this eBay link on Serottas forum. I am sure one of them will make me the best offer since there is a huge following for this bike and they know its real. I listed this bike today and I already have 23 watchers. Do some research, but dont hesitate, this bike wont last. Luke

UM, i posted the "link" and have no idea who Luke is.

stickemup
03-23-2010, 08:23 PM
the local CL listing

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/bik/1653910140.html

retrogrouchy
03-23-2010, 09:12 PM
I really dig vintage race bikes, but is it just me, or is this thing way overpriced? Like, by a factor of three or four maybe???

learlove
03-24-2010, 06:41 PM
way overpriced +1

Ahneida Ride
03-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Very suspicious ..... :rolleyes:

Fivethumbs
03-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Irvine and Norwalk are really not "close" by each other.

dvs cycles
03-25-2010, 08:28 AM
Irvine and Norwalk are really not "close" by each other.Probably lives in Norwalk and works in Irvine. 20 minutes on the I-5 and a short commute for a lot of people who drive to OC to work.