PDA

View Full Version : OT: Turkeys & Tubulars

William
03-17-2005, 06:23 AM
So I'm in my kitchen yesterday afternoon, I look out the window and notice something moving in the brush at the edge of our yard (about 25 yards away). I can see that there are a number of wild turkeys out there though I can't make out how many. I'm thinking "cool, I haven't seen any turkeys around for quite a while". I watch for a while and then go back to finishing up the paperwork I was working on. About ten minutes later I look out the window again expecting that they've moved on into the woods. Instead I'm shocked to see a huge group right out side my window. I start counting and come up with 25 good sized wild turkeys under my window. One of them was a real big boy with the colored head and strutting around striking up a good pose every so often. They're feeding on some of the suet that has fallen on the ground from one of our bird feeders. Rhea Basset gets a whiff and her hunting instincts turn on and she goes to the door wanting to go out. I thought about it briefly, but they are usually very wary and occasionally can get pretty mean as well.

One of my students is a motorcycle officer who took a call once about a Wild turkey blocking a road and chasing a few people. He gets off his bike and tries to shoo it off the road. The feathery guy starts running after him and chased him around his bike a few times. He didn't want to shoot the guy, but those things have very sharp spurs/talons that they will use. He had to get it to stop chasing him as well as get it out of the area so he tried a well placed round kick that sent it running off into the woods (hey, it was better then shooting him).

Anyway, part of the group broke off and went around to the front of the house where another feeder is. They eventually circled the house and met back up with the main group. Then they walked off into the back yard, crossed the creek and then were off into the woods. Rhea Basset and myself were walking from window to window, me drinking a latté checking out the wild life scene, Rhea pawing my foot saying "hey man, let me out!" pretty cool event I thought. One of the reasons I like living a bit off the beaten track.

I've encountered them riding on the road a number of times. Usually 4 -5 turkeys max. I'll always stop and let them cross. I don't want to mess with them. Besides, I hear they have a thing for tubulars. ;)

William

coylifut
03-17-2005, 08:42 AM
I'm lucky to see wild Turkeys a couple of times a week. They habitate a farmers field at the base of the climb that leads up to my house. Occasionally they get in the middle of the road and fan thier feathers. Great show. Man that's a lot of Turkeys.

Ti Designs
03-17-2005, 09:21 AM
While rebuilding a retaining wall in my back yard last year I got this great idea to add a smoker - a BIG one. So, October and there's a large cinderblock structure out there with cooking grates installed, a fire box (with the original cast iron cleanout door from my house) and a stainless steel damper at the top. The only thing missing is the door (to be made from poured concrete and run on guides with a pully system and counterweights so it can be raised without letting out all of the smoke). One morning my cats went crazy, running from window to window, trying to get a better look at what was in my back yard. So I open up the shade to see a half dozen wild turkeys inspecting the smoker. I guess it's true what they say - "if you build it, they will come".

I left a cash box open in my back yard, just in case it worked a second time. All I got was rain water and rusty hinges...

pale scotsman
03-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Big Will - Sounds like Turkeys up there are a little smarter. Me thinks they were doing a little recon action.

One of the most scared, i.e. almost shiite my pants moments came with an encounter with a Turkey. I was on a hike, had a new knife, and just had to swing at the vine crossing the path. Not a well traveled one btw. As soon as I hit it all hell broke loose, with something huge coming right at my head at ~ mach 1. When it zoomed by I watched it fly out across a clearing, and after my heart calmed down I got to thinkin'. Sure enough there was it's nest nestled in the base of a water oak, ten eggs and all. Pretty cool.

MartyE
03-17-2005, 11:32 AM
I've seen wild turkey when out walking in Southern Oklahoma. My inlaws
own about 100 acres of horse farm. About 15 - 20 of them broke from
some brush infront of me. My brother in law says they used to be alot
more common but lately he hasn't seen that many in a while.

Marty

OldDog
03-17-2005, 11:59 AM
Woo Hoo have we got the turkeys here in NE PA. So much development starting to take over the backwoods and is pushing them into residential area's. Too many of them actually. Deer in the yard is now as common as robbins, all day. Last year I had so many bedding down out back I had to go back and rake the droppings up, it was so much. Now we have an over abundance of coyote looking to chow down on the deer...

William, forget the roundhouse kick. Grab that little guy's neck, pluck 'em and roast 'em.

Ti D, check your pm.

chrisroph
03-17-2005, 12:07 PM
Coy and I see turkeys all the time on one of our regular climbs, but things were strangely quiet for a while last Thanksgiving.

William
03-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Big Will - Sounds like Turkeys up there are a little smarter. Me thinks they were doing a little recon action.

Man, that's all I need....Smart Turkeys. Probably start leaving me some all natural turkey mines all over the property. :butt:

William, forget the roundhouse kick. Grab that little guy's neck, pluck 'em and roast 'em.

Believe me, the thought did cross my mind. But, seeing as these are "smart turkeys", I didn't want the little gobblers scheming to get medevil on my arse. :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

William

Sandy
03-17-2005, 01:38 PM
Turkeys ride Tubulars and Cyclists ride Clinchers. :) :)

Sans Sewups Serotta Sandy

OldDog
03-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Man, that's all I need....Smart Turkeys. Probably start leaving me some all natural turkey mines all over the property. :butt:

Believe me, the thought did cross my mind. But, seeing as these are "smart turkeys", I didn't want the little gobblers scheming to get medevil on my arse. :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

William

I'm not the only one who think the turkey's are ploting against me...... :eek:

OldDog
03-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Chicken train...
Running all day...
Chicken train...
Running all day...

Chicken train running all day
I can't get on I can't get off
Chicken train take the chickens away...

Ozark Mountian Daredevils :banana:

vaxn8r
03-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Our street last November...

Sandy
03-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Which one is Kevan?? :)

Stuffed Sandy

vaxn8r
03-17-2005, 08:47 PM
That's Keven up front. Gasman and I are trying to hold his wheel.

William
03-18-2005, 06:01 AM
That's Keven up front. Gasman and I are trying to hold his wheel.

Is that Shino off to the left getting ready to take a flyer off the front? :)

Man, look at all that green. I'm giddy just because I noticed some little buds forming on a few of the trees out front.

William (who's cabin fever is mounting :crap: ) :)