PDA

View Full Version : Shimano’s new 5700 series 105

RPS
03-22-2010, 10:44 AM
If you have information on this new group please share. So far I haven't seen anything posted on the new 5700.

It appears Shimano is preparing to launch the new 5700 series 105 in the next few months. It’s reported to be compatible with Dura Ace and Ultegra, similar in design sans some of the carbon and titanium that make the others much higher price.

I particularly like the “traditional” big chainring shape better than the Hollowglide. It will also be interesting to see if the triple crank option relies on Ultegra “triplelizer” design for mounting of the granny ring or if they provide bosses for direct bolting. I’m also guessing the triple’s smaller 50T large ring (compared to Ultegra’s 52T) moves the front derailleur lower which should improve front up-shifts.

What do you think; with Ultegra and DA costing more than ever will the new 105 find a new niche?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/first-look-new-shimano-105-road-groupset

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/first-look-new-shimano-105-road-groupset-review-24923

jpw
03-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Is it internal cable routing on the levers?

RPS
03-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Is it internal cable routing on the levers?
"The levers include under-bar-tape cable routing, adjustment for different hand sizes and bar bends."

You can see close-up pictures in gallery.

dancinkozmo
03-22-2010, 01:22 PM
...looks good. hate the crankset though. the stamped chainrings look kind of cheap...i prefer the less chunky cranksets such as the older alloy campy record or chorus, or the dura ace 7700, ultegra 6500. guess we'll never see the likes of those again on anything new :crap:

thegunner
03-22-2010, 01:27 PM
basically it's 6700 with full alloy body. the solution to the crank is simply... 3rd party crank :)

RPS
03-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Of the two I prefer the darker group.

Tobias
03-22-2010, 04:30 PM
I’d be OK with this group if function is comparable or very similar to Ultegra except for the weight difference. Lack of carbon and titanium tidbits wouldn’t discourage me. It’s almost a plus.

feds127
03-22-2010, 05:53 PM
...looks good. hate the crankset though. the stamped chainrings look kind of cheap...i prefer the less chunky cranksets such as the older alloy campy record or chorus, or the dura ace 7700, ultegra 6500. guess we'll never see the likes of those again on anything new :crap:

+1, couldn't agree more.

AndrewS
03-22-2010, 11:42 PM
The new under the tape STIs are particularly ugly (though Campy is also making major headway in trying to get brake levers look like H.R. Giger designs). BUT, the 105 lever is probably the nicest looking of the higher end Shimano offerings.

oldpotatoe
03-23-2010, 06:51 AM
If you have information on this new group please share. So far I haven't seen anything posted on the new 5700.

It appears Shimano is preparing to launch the new 5700 series 105 in the next few months. It’s reported to be compatible with Dura Ace and Ultegra, similar in design sans some of the carbon and titanium that make the others much higher price.

I particularly like the “traditional” big chainring shape better than the Hollowglide. It will also be interesting to see if the triple crank option relies on Ultegra “triplelizer” design for mounting of the granny ring or if they provide bosses for direct bolting. I’m also guessing the triple’s smaller 50T large ring (compared to Ultegra’s 52T) moves the front derailleur lower which should improve front up-shifts.

What do you think; with Ultegra and DA costing more than ever will the new 105 find a new niche?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/first-look-new-shimano-105-road-groupset

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/first-look-new-shimano-105-road-groupset-review-24923

Great idea and aimed squarely at Sram. I think a real winner due to shimano durability in things like chainrings, BB bearings, and FD action, something sram hasn't quite figured out. Plus less $ and triple compatible. Great for those $1500 or so complete bicycles.

Acotts
03-23-2010, 07:31 AM
Directional chain!?!

Are 6600 chains directional too? I always assumed they were symetric.

BTW, I think that new 105 group in black would look great on my CX bike.

blarg!