PDA

View Full Version : Summer Gloves

m.skeen
03-21-2010, 09:48 AM
I couldn't find a recent gloves discussion so I'll get it started...

I still use and like my 3 year old Rapha Crit cloves but I've though about looking for something with slightly more padding. Anyone have any experience with the Giro LX Glove? I like the idea of leather and Competitive Cyclist has a positive video review.

I'm also open to any other recommendations :)

dekindy
03-22-2010, 05:47 AM
I now use the Specialized BG gloves and suggest giving them a try.

RADaines
03-22-2010, 06:19 AM
It really depends on what you like in a glove. Do you like minimal padding or thick padding? I am currently using Giro Lusso gloves (now called LX). I really like the thin, but effective padding. The best feature is the palm; not sure how I feel about the leather backs. They are not as comfortable as I thought they should be, some of the stitching (or ventilated material) presses on the inside base of my thumb (but right thumb only). The leather backs have no stretch like fabric gloves have and they definitely feel very different from your typical gloves. The Monaco looks interesting as they have the same palm as the Lusso, however according to Competitive Cyclist, they need to be hand washed (I'll pass on that). I might give the Bravo gloves a try at some point as they look quite promising (and the price is right). I also like Specialized Comp gloves. These are extremely comfortable and have thinner padding than their more expensive models. Like I said, it really depends on what you find comfortable in a glove. If you don't mind the hand washing part, the Monaco's are probably very good. As far as the Lusso (or LX) goes, spending $65 on a single pair of gloves is not something that I would do again.

Bob

dekindy
03-22-2010, 09:27 AM
I now use the Specialized BG gloves and suggest giving them a try.

I am currently using the Sport model and find it comfortable. This is in combination with Hudz and Fizik Gel pads and Handlebra original formula tape. Prior to this I used a Specialized model with thicker padding and regular Ultegra hoods and Fizik tape which was okay, also. My bike fits well and I do not put an undo amount of weight on my hands so that is a factor also.

pdmtong
03-22-2010, 09:54 AM
I am currently using Giro Lusso gloves (now called LX).

Do you find the black leather on the palms bleeds a lot? CC advises not using these with white bar tape and I was wondering if you found that to be the case. Also, are they machine washable?

Ralph
03-22-2010, 10:09 AM
I use Walmart gloves for my daily rider. PI's for longer Sunday rides where I also need nicer stuff to blend with the crowd. $6.95. Mesh back and cool. Not much padding. They are cheap, and last me about 6 months of sweating. Cool for summer. I don't have any problems with them.

fourflys
03-22-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm really liking these Castelli's lately, feel really good and just the right amount of padding...

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/CSTXSRU8

dogdriver
03-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Fingerless for road, full-finger for mountain (I left a couple fingertips on a rock a few years ago and don't want to repeat). Whatever fits and is on sale at the fall sale...

RADaines
03-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Do you find the black leather on the palms bleeds a lot? CC advises not using these with white bar tape and I was wondering if you found that to be the case. Also, are they machine washable?

I really haven't found bleeding to be a problem. I use red Fizik bar tape and have not noticed any black staining. I can't say what it would be like with white tape. I wash mine in the machine quite often (along with my bib shorts) and let them air dry. The backs of my gloves are white, and maybe they are not as white as when new, but they are still reasonably white. If they bleed, maybe the leather does not absorb the color as readily as fabric, re. Competitive Cyclist review of Monaco gloves. Although it seems to me, if they are going to bleed, why does it matter if they are machine or hand washed?

bozman
03-22-2010, 11:44 AM
I have been using the Giro Monaco gloves and they have worked well thus far. They are not as padded as some I have tried but that is why I like them.

torquer
03-22-2010, 02:55 PM
I got some unpadded Giro gloves (Zero?) last fall, but this weekend was the first time its been warm enough for me to try them out.
After a one-hour ride, my palms were definitely stained.
No problem with my bar tape, but it was black to begin with!

If they are machine washable, I wouldn't wash them with anything else (except maybe black shorts).

Ozz
03-22-2010, 04:11 PM
i've started using gloves that don't have a velcro strap around the wrist...I always seemed to get scratched by the "hooks" on the fastener....

Etxe Ondo do well....they seem really durable. I have a pair going on their third year, and are still in really good shape....other than the logo is coming off in the wash.

merckx
03-22-2010, 06:54 PM
The black dye in giro gloves bleeds. This dye is absorbed through the skin and that bothers me. Who knows what type of dye in used in the Chineese factory where they are made. I doubt that is is healthy. These gloves are to be washed seperately becuase in a washingmachine enviroment, they will stain other clothing.

Rueda Tropical
03-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Assos summer gloves. When I saw the thick pads I thought I'd hate them but Assos has seemed to position the padding in such a way that you get all the pluses an none of the minuses. Very cool in the heat as well. I found the Exte Ondos were really good, thinner pad then Asso but hotter due to a bigger snot wipe that in 80+ heat was uncomfortable.

regularguy412
03-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Specialized Pro. No hook and loop closure. Thinnish padding. No bleeding of black/dark dyes. Going on four years now and still work great. I alternate them with some PI gloves and wash out each pair after each ride.

Mike in AR:beer:

yakstone
03-23-2010, 06:05 AM
+1 on the Assos summer gloves; everything that a warm weather glove should be.