PDA

View Full Version : RE: Record Ti-Steel Casette...

Rich_W
03-16-2005, 06:07 PM
How many miles have you guys gotten out of one of these? I took Mr. Plastique into the hills today, and it was skipping like crazy in the 17 and 19 under climbing load. Fine in every other gear... just those two.

Went to the shop later, and after trying just about everything... I swapped out the casette and then no problem.

I can't believe I only got 1500-2000 miles out of it. :crap:

Matt Barkley
03-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Just replace the 17 or 19. (individual cogs) :beer: - Matt

Rich_W
03-16-2005, 07:27 PM
good idea... (slaps side of head) hmmm... Calling CampyUSA tomorrow.

Three Banannas and one eRichie-Certified™ Matt Barkley-issimo

:banana: :banana: :banana:

I needed another Cassette as a spare anyway... I just picked up an all-steel Chorus for the time being. Seems like such a crime to add weight to Senior Plastique. For Shame, for shame... :p

Ahneida Ride
03-16-2005, 10:08 PM

2K seems real low.... think 4-6 on averaage. I change my chain after 2K miles.

Kevin
03-17-2005, 05:45 AM
How many miles have you guys gotten out of one of these? I took Mr. Plastique into the hills today, and it was skipping like crazy in the 17 and 19 under climbing load. Fine in every other gear... just those two.

Went to the shop later, and after trying just about everything... I swapped out the casette and then no problem.

I get about 5,000 miles out of the all ti Record cassette. You need to keep an eye on chain wear. If you don't replace the chain in time, the cassette is shot.

Kevin

Dekonick
03-17-2005, 07:02 PM
so how long do you wait to replace the chain or do you measure it?

I just change chains every 1-2k miles after all a chain is cheap compared to a casette.

Kevin
03-17-2005, 08:03 PM
I measure the chain. I typically get about 2,000 miles out of a chain.

Kevin

zap
03-18-2005, 08:57 AM
I have over 2k on my record 10 chain and it still checks out ok using the rolhoff tool (al side). But it's still going in the waste bin. It will be interesting to check out side to side flex when I take the new chain out of the wraper.

We'll see how the new chain behaves on the old cassette in the next few weeks.

Spicoli
03-18-2005, 09:22 AM

Rich,
Are you a big gear guy? I kinda shoot through chains and cass. pretty fast myself. Mostly, due to being a masher (Ulrich instead of Armstrong) bigger gears = more torque = decreased chain life. What I have noticed is changing my chain more often saves me on cassettes and in the long run keep the whole package running smoother longer. So every now and then I hit "The Preps" garage and steal his little Park chain checker tool and see how much life my chain has left in it. What kills your cass. is when the little rollers in your chain wear and that deforms the beds between the teeth of your cogs. So if you keep the little rollers uniform it extends the life of the cass. Give it a shot and a chain checker is fairly cheap (even cheaper if you use someone elses) and lets you know when your chain is mucking up your cass. :bike: