PDA

View Full Version : Multi tool

jpw
03-21-2010, 05:07 AM
I have a simple Park Tool multi tool gizmo for rides, but it only has hex keys. I want to get one with hex keys, screw driver heads, and a chain tool. I've seen the Crank Bros offering. Are there any other quality multi tools to consider? Small, light, durable, and usable are my keywords. Thanks, Jason.

AngryScientist
03-21-2010, 07:01 AM
http://www.lezyne.com/index.php/products/multi-tools.html

lezyne tools, and pumps are world class construction. this is a smaller company that is really putting together absolutely top notch stuff right now. i have their road drive mini-pump and one of the smaller multi tools and i can attest to them being the best i've used. especially that pump.

eddief
03-21-2010, 07:56 AM
make the multitool bigger than it needs to be? IF you use quick links, not sure you'd ever need the chain tool. Well ever is a long time, but rarely.

This fancy or something similar has always served me fine. Maybe too inexpensive for most tastes:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GSSJTO/ref=asc_df_B001GSSJTO1065099/?tag=prontocom92718-20&creative=380333&creativeASIN=B001GSSJTO&linkCode=asn

false_Aest
03-21-2010, 07:57 AM
Lezyne + 1

Ive been using one I borrowed from Zimmerman Bicycle Works.

effing awesome. 150g stainless. etc.

dogdriver
03-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Lezyne + 2

However (Ohbytheway), I agree with the above assertion that a chain tool makes the whole package too large. There are lots of cool multi tools, and you can carry a separate chain tool if you feel the need. The chain tool in multis (Crank Bros, Lezyne, etc) don't work nearly as well as the stand-alone tool, anyways, and you don't want to discover this when trying to re-install a pin on a dirty chain in the rain with cars flying by...

Best, Chris

AngryScientist
03-21-2010, 08:11 AM
make the multitool bigger than it needs to be? IF you use quick links, not sure you'd ever need the chain tool. Well ever is a long time, but rarely.

This fancy or something similar has always served me fine. Maybe too inexpensive for most tastes:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GSSJTO/ref=asc_df_B001GSSJTO1065099/?tag=prontocom92718-20&creative=380333&creativeASIN=B001GSSJTO&linkCode=asn

i have to disagree with you, even if you have a quick-link with you, you have to get the piece of the chain that broke OFF to get the quick-link in.

i dont carry a chain tool either, but what you said is generally wrong.

eddief
03-21-2010, 08:17 AM
it was based on riding bikes for 55 years and never having a chain break on me. i probably need more data points in order to make an informed recommendation.

dekindy
03-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Topeak, Crank Brothers, and Park all make high quality tools. I have the Crank Brothers Multi-19. It comes with a metal case if you have enough room in your bag. If your LBS stocks any of these they would be great choices. If you are ordering over the internet, add one to your order. If I needed one now the Lezyne would be my first choice. I have a frame pump and it is top notch and when my floor pump wears out my first choice will be Lezyne. I like the design of their bags also that features the dedicated multi pouch.

AngryScientist
03-21-2010, 08:32 AM
it was based on riding bikes for 55 years and never having a chain break on me. i probably need more data points in order to make an informed recommendation.

i agree with you eddie, i've never broken a road chain either, which is why i dont carry a chain tool.

if you did break one, however, a quick-link alone most likely wont get you out of a jam.

AngryScientist
03-21-2010, 08:34 AM
i agree with you eddie, i've never broken a road chain either, which is why i dont carry a chain tool.

if you did break one, however, a quick-link alone most likely wont get you out of a jam.

by the way, i wasnt trying to be a smart-ass, just an observation, cheers! :beer:

eddief
03-21-2010, 08:39 AM
thanks for the clarification.

may your chain always be connected.

be well!

03-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Get the little baby Wipperman chain tool -- it's tiny, it works really well, and the handle stores a Wipperman chain link (or any other similar master link). Just use it with a more basic multitool and you'll have a superb chain tool in your pocket at all times.

vqdriver
03-21-2010, 04:22 PM
i'll chime in with a cheapy.
i've had a topeak and lezyne multi and tho they're great in quality, i've found them to be somewhat bulbous when folded and was a pain to stuff into my saddle bag. tho not as fancy as others, the performance house brand tools fold flat and slide easily in/out of the bag without worry i'm gonna snag my spare tube.

i carry a smaller tool without the chain tool for my road bike, but my mtb has this on stuffed in with the spare.
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1085717_-1_1512507_20000_400153
the chain tool works fine, just remember to carry a spare pin as well. opening a master link trailside/roadside is a pain.
fwiw, i've had two chains snap on me, but both were on the trail.

stephenmarklay
03-21-2010, 04:27 PM
I wanted something simple and light. I ended up with this for $15 http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Tool-Bar-11-Function-Bicycle/dp/B000FIE4CC/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1269210257&sr=8-19.

No chain tool but I carry my cell phone tool. I don't carry a clincher tire and I have seen those blow out more often then chains let go. I have done both however. The chain was mountain biking and I replace my chains often.

jbl
03-21-2010, 04:51 PM
I have broken a chain on the road...and was glad I had the Crank Bros. tool with me. It's hard to use with shaky hands (chain broke while making a left turn through a multi-lane intersection), but it works fine. I'd say it's no worse than the cheap-o Park chain tool I use at home.

ThasFACE
03-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Yeah, big thumbs up for lezyne.

03-21-2010, 06:51 PM
I have broken a chain on the road...and was glad I had the Crank Bros. tool with me. It's hard to use with shaky hands (chain broke while making a left turn through a multi-lane intersection), but it works fine. I'd say it's no worse than the cheap-o Park chain tool I use at home.

I've broken two chains, but what I've had happen more is a chain jamming up during wet-weather or very gritty riding -- you have to fix the chain or you get a broken chain or broken derailleur. And if you ride in a group the odds of something like this happening go up and you can always be the hero.

On tools, I had a couple Lezyne tools and didn't have trouble with them but didn't think the world of them either. A handful of allen keys in a ziploc bag does pretty well, tucked in with your spare tire. But I was recently given one of the Pedro's multitools with the carbon fiber body and I have to say the tools are really nicely done. You don't have to get the carbon fiber -- it's unnecessarily expensive -- but it has a very smooth finish and can just drop into a jersey pocket without your worrying about rubbing a hole in the jersey. Several riders have used it and like it more than any other tools available in the group. The Pedro's tools start with allen keys and a couple screwdrivers, then they add Torx drivers and a star wrench that fits Mavic spoke nipples. They're quite nice.

xjoex
03-23-2010, 08:16 PM
I am a big fan of the Park IB-3
http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=11&item=IB-3
http://www.parktool.com/images/products/productimages/det_IB-3_200654_23055.jpg

I also have Soma Woodie 20, but it is really big and heavy... I carry it with me commuting though.

-joe