PDA

View Full Version : Wheel strength difference 28 to 32 hole

stephenmarklay
03-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Looking at doing some wheels and thinking about going with 28 front and rear. I am between 155 and 170 depending on condition...

They will be racing wheels and perhaps some training. From the other post this will be the velocity A23 and DA hubs.

I want to get this stuff ordered fast.

wasfast
03-20-2010, 06:27 AM
You should be fine with 28H unless you're an extremely strong sprinter which may have some notable wheel flex in that situation.

I recently rebuilt a set of Rolf Prima Elan hubs (paired spoke, 20H/24H with Velocity Aerohead rims and 15/17 Wheelsmith spokes. I'm 180 and they ride just fine. Not a sprinter wheel for sure but a very nice climbing wheel. Point of reference.

oldpotatoe
03-20-2010, 06:47 AM
Looking at doing some wheels and thinking about going with 28 front and rear. I am between 155 and 170 depending on condition...

They will be racing wheels and perhaps some training. From the other post this will be the velocity A23 and DA hubs.

I want to get this stuff ordered fast.

4 spokes weigh 28 grams(1 ounce). 32 is stronger than 28. I recommend doing 32 rear, 28 front. 3 cross rear, 2 cross front. Revolution spokes front, 14/15 right side rear, Revolutions left side rear. Brass nipples.

AndrewS
03-20-2010, 08:33 AM
I think that spoke number often has less to do with wheel strength than cross number or rim strength.

You aren't that heavy, so 28 should probably never be a problem, especially considering how few spokes come on fairly humble production wheels now days. But I would make sure the rear is 3 cross.

I built a set of 28/28 wheels with the older Ritchey aero rims that have been flawless under my 150 pounds, and they get a lot of out of the saddle climbing. And I only used straight 15 gauge 3x back 2x front. As long as you're 14/15 or straight 14s, I can't see a problem if you're using a better quality rim.

Which rim are you thinking? If I were building a wheelset today I'd use a semi-aero from Kinlin, DT, Mavic or Velocity. I've just found the higher profile aero rims to be less comfortable.

stephenmarklay
03-20-2010, 09:16 AM
I am going to do the Velocity A23. A wide version of their semi aero. I was also thinking of aero spokes but not sure...

AndrewS
03-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Sorry, missed that in your topic post. Seems like a nice rim. I'd be comfortable going 28 front and rear (you could even go 24 front if you keep it 2 or 3x).

Just do some price comparing before you settle on aero spokes. I was surprised just how pricey they are, even compared to butted spokes. Not that you're being chincy with the rest of the components, but it's always nice to get something tangible for your coin.

stephenmarklay
03-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks Andrew - I noticed the big premium on those spokes. I may back off that as I am not sure Aero spokes will amount to much.