PDA

View Full Version : March in Colorado

gdw
03-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Yesterday it was warm enough to ride in shorts and a light jersey. Today.......

Bradford
03-19-2010, 01:24 PM
...and I still saw someone commuting to work on a bike today. Yet another reason I'm never going back east!

Dave
03-19-2010, 02:02 PM
I rode three 40 milers from Highlands Ranch up Deer Creek Canyon road this week. The weather was great until today. Overall though, the winter has been tougher than usual - fewer warm-ups between snows. I rode zero miles in February, but I've become real picky and some of the best days were on weekends when I rarely ride. Since I'm retired and my wife still works, weekends are not riding days, unless she leaves on Sunday for a business trip.

Edit: March is our month of greatest snowfall. We get big snows instead of rain. In 2003, the year my house was built, we had about 36" of heavy wet snow that collapsed some roofs. Fortunately, I was still in Kansas City at the time. They had the shingles up on my roof, but not installed, just before that snow.

David Kirk
03-19-2010, 02:08 PM
We had the same thing here. 50's yesterday and 3" of snow this morning. Near 60 tomorrow. Springtime in the Rockies.

Dave

Erik.Lazdins
03-19-2010, 02:12 PM
About 2 hours in 70 degree temps today marvelling at the absence of any tan!

Tonight wind shift and forecast of 2-4 inches tomorrow.

I'll go out early!

chuckred
03-19-2010, 02:27 PM
got to love the spring storms!

Ralph
03-19-2010, 02:33 PM
GDW.....Where are you?

chuckred
03-19-2010, 02:57 PM
GDW.....Where are you?
looking back from outside of Boulder... (unless I'm nuts).

rockdude
03-19-2010, 03:12 PM
At my house at Boulder Canyon and 4 mile, its well over a foot and still coming down hard. Just had a three car crash on the bridge. Time to go blow the Driveway to get the wife in for dinner.

Darn it, just looked out and someone is stuck in the driveway, Now I got to go dig them out.

Edit: update- we have 16-18 inches on my deck.

Ralph
03-19-2010, 03:42 PM
The past several summers we have spent time in the Boulder, Loveland, Ft Collins area. I would like to move there from Central Florida. We are retired and can live anywhere we want, as long as we don't mind not having extended family around. I've been about everywhere in the West....even drove to Alaska one year. My family thinks I'm nuts. We have year around Cycling, although it's hot a couple months, but you have other stuff. I guess I'm just tired of the crowds. The grass is greener thing. Would you guys swap your climate for Central Florida? BTW....you don't have to ever see the tourists area. We don't.

rockdude
03-19-2010, 05:20 PM
The past several summers we have spent time in the Boulder, Loveland, Ft Collins area. I would like to move there from Central Florida. We are retired and can live anywhere we want, as long as we don't mind not having extended family around. I've been about everywhere in the West....even drove to Alaska one year. My family thinks I'm nuts. We have year around Cycling, although it's hot a couple months, but you have other stuff. I guess I'm just tired of the crowds. The grass is greener thing. Would you guys swap your climate for Central Florida? BTW....you don't have to ever see the tourists area. We don't.

No way Ralph.... My wife and I traveled extensitively in the west for several years looking for our ideal place to live. We found it. Not moving, not swapping climates. I might would prefere Santa Fe's climate a little more than northern CO but we like being close to a bigger city and the Boulder community.

gdw
03-19-2010, 05:38 PM
I've done quite a few business trips to Florida over the years and it's not for me. It's too hot and flat. I could live almost anywhere in the Rockies or Utah but stay in Boulder because of the open space surrounding the town and the easy access to the mountains.

RkyMtn
03-19-2010, 06:52 PM
AAaah Denver! Cycling in the 60's one day, tennis in the 70's the next, than off to snowboard on fresh pow. It is a gem of a place to live.

About 8" about 4 miles East of the city.

I would say if you come visit Colorado and like outdoor activities, this might be the best place in the US. It has everything you want to do within 2 hours drive, max. The only issue to consider is the lack of oxygen.

For those of you who travel, the Westing just finished a new resort in Avon (serving Beaver Creek ski resort), and you can get really hot deals staying in their "vacation club" (timeshare) units. We got in for $153 a night. Stay here, bike 800ft vertical to Vail, have a super lunch at Sweet Basil (the muscles and magaritas are the BOMB!), and then bike up Vail pass (17 miles, 2600 vertical ft.) The ride back to the hotel is about 21 miles, but an effortless downhill run all the way back.

There are only 2 other places I would consider living.
1. North County, CA (Encinitas, Carlsbad, La Jolla)
2. In one of the Valleys around Healdsburg, CA (Russian River, Anderson,...)
Check this lovely place out: http://www.hotelhealdsburg.com/

Time to start planning a vacation!!!

Cheers,

Eric

Steve K
03-21-2010, 04:54 PM
highs in the 50's and sunny. Lookout Mtn just west of Denver